Money grabbing Bar Stewarts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Crazy, if anything a speed awareness course makes you a better driver because they teach you subjects of road safety id long forgotten since passing my test..
So in theroy premiums should be reduced.
Its just any excuse to squeeze more money out of motorists.

Similarly, your premium will increase following a claim even if you have protected/guaranteed NCD.

They now simply ask two separate questions: now many years NCD do you have, and had you had any claims...

I'd be interested to see their statistics. If, as they claim, a higher risk can be proven to be posed by drivers who have attended a course, then I don't see why they wouldn't increase premiums.

Do motorists caught speeding have a worse insurance risk?

Do points and a fine decrease that risk any more or less that an speed awareness course?

Is a course seen as a 'get of jail free card' for speeding offences?

Who makes money from speed awareness courses?

Absolutely amazing...you're caught speeding and the insurance company may increase your premium because you may be perceived as an increased risk.

Where will it end! :eek:

Crazy, if anything a speed awareness course makes you a better driver because they teach you subjects of road safety id long forgotten since passing my test..
I confess that I don't entirely understand the logic that insurers use in their risk rating schemes.

A good example of this that I find hard to work out relates to undiagnosed vs diagnosed and controlled hypertension. According to the British Heart Foundation, up to 5 million people in the UK are walking around with undiagnosed hypertension. These people are at greater risk of various health issues, yet their insurance premiums are set as though there was no unusual risk factor. However, anyone with drug-controlled hypertension (which reduces their health risk) "enjoys" a premium loading. Go figure, as the Yanks say...

Its just any excuse to squeeze more money out of motorists.

Think about what you've said. You have been caught speeding, given a speed awareness course...so your premiums should decrease. Whereas I, who have not been caught speeding, should be penalised by paying a higher premium than you.

Now...do you really think that is logical because if you do the roads will become a very dangerous place as people speed so as to get reduced insurance premiums.

Sometime Dieselman is right...we live in different dimensions.

Think about what you've said. You have been caught speeding, given a speed awareness course...so your premiums should decrease. Whereas I, who have not been caught speeding, should be penalised by paying a higher premium than you.

Now...do you really think that is logical because if you do the roads will become a very dangerous place as people speed so as to get reduced insurance premiums.

Sometime Dieselman is right...we live in different dimensions.

AFIK the course was introduced for people who were a little over the limit and offered a chance of further training to improve their awareness i.e. the authorities showing a bit of tolerance. Whilst this tolerance is still in force the insurance companies have decided to cash in. For you to suggest that someone who has perhaps once been caught doing 34 in a 30 zone is a greater risk than any un-caught speeder is entering the realms of make believe.
If the insurance companies want zero tolerance why don't they ask the question "have you ever driving above a speed limit" on their proposals?
Of course your suggestion that your premiums shouldn't go up ( not that they do due to people on SAC's) because you haven't been caught is typical of the " I'm alright Jack brigade"

So, getting caught speeding and opting for a Speed Awareness course to avoid the penalty points being applied then makes you a better driver ?

The points avoidance may help keep a licence valid but should it really afford a decrease in premiums ?

If it does, then a speeding offence for a driver that has attended a SAC should then double - after all, they really ought to know better ...

AFIK the course was introduced for people who were a little over the limit and offered a chance of further training to improve their awareness i.e. the authorities showing a bit of tolerance. Whilst this tolerance is still in force the insurance companies have decided to cash in. For you to suggest that someone who has perhaps once been caught doing 34 in a 30 zone is a greater risk than any un-caught speeder is entering the realms of make believe.
If the insurance companies want zero tolerance why don't they ask the question "have you ever driving above a speed limit" on their proposals?
Of course your suggestion that your premiums shouldn't go up ( not that they do due to people on SAC's) because you haven't been caught is typical of the " I'm alright Jack brigade"

Sorry HD that's silly.

The poster was suggesting that premiums should reduce if you have been on a SAC...where's the "I'm all right Jack" attitude. It was a stupid suggestion. My suggestion was that I'd be more than a little peeved if my premiums stayed the same (ie did not reduce) because I hadn't been on an SAC.

It's like those people who complain after being caught speeding by a hidden camera...it's not fair they bleat...but they were SPEEDING. If I get caught I will accept what's coming my way...not complain as if everyone else is to blame.

However the thread did not surprise me...being flamed for being sensible.

In days of yore many motor insurers would offer a discount to RoSPA certificate holders and IAM members. That always seemed logical to me as it was probably a reasonable indication of someone who took their driving seriously and had voluntarily sought out additional training which they had then completed to a measureable standard. Those discounts now seem to be quite rare, but instead any possible stick is seized upon to justify a substantial premium increase. All a bit odd if you ask me.

Speed awareness course or not (I've been on one and had 3points from an SP50) means you still sped.

Up here in Scotland we do not offer SAC's. You get done speeding, you have points.If done in England, you may get a course, you may not. Therefore getting a course is a bit of a lottery if you are caught speeding therefore the rise in premium may well be lottery too.

Under FSA principle six a financial organisation needs to treat its customers fairly. This is a fact. It would not be fair to allow some customers lower premiums on the basis they were caught speeding in England and therefore have no endorsement on their licence, but the same offence could be committed in Scotland by another of their customers, and that customer earn an endorsement and as a consquence of the endorsment causing an insurance loading, pay a higher insurance premium.

I should have 6points on my licence, I have 3 as it stands and should have another 3 but I got a course option (it pays to speed in Cumbria), my premium would be more if I had 6, how is that fair on the customer who say earns 2 speeding tickets here in Scotland and doesn't get the course, so has the full 6 points.

Its only fair and right SAC's attract an insurance loading. Self interest would make me say no, but self interest would not get us very far.

In days of yore many motor insurers would offer a discount to RoSPA certificate holders and IAM members. That always seemed logical to me as it was probably a reasonable indication of someone who took their driving seriously and had voluntarily sought out additional training which they had then completed to a measureable standard. Those discounts now seem to be quite rare, but instead any possible stick is seized upon to justify a substantial premium increase. All a bit odd if you ask me.

This type of discount is at least sensible...drivers seeking to improve their skills...not as a result of being caught, just because it's a good thing to do.

Is there anything to prevent a motorist who just wants to improve his driving ( has NOT been caught speeding ) from applying to go on one of these courses ?

Such a person could then find themselves being penalised just for trying to better themselves !

Sorry HD that's silly.

The poster was suggesting that premiums should reduce if you have been on a SAC...where's the "I'm all right Jack" attitude. It was a stupid suggestion. My suggestion was that I'd be more than a little peeved if my premiums stayed the same (ie did not reduce) because I hadn't been on an SAC.

It's like those people who complain after being caught speeding by a hidden camera...it's not fair they bleat...but they were SPEEDING. If I get caught I will accept what's coming my way...not complain as if everyone else is to blame.

However the thread did not surprise me...being flamed for being sensible.

Having re-read your thread I see your point about paying more than someone who has been on a SAC and humbly apologise, I mis-interpreted your post

Having re-read your thread I see your point about paying more than someone who has been on a SAC and humbly apologise, I mis-interpreted your post

No probs HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom