• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

mono wiper problem !!!!!!!

dave81

Car
w202 c200
hi i am new to this forum and also a proud first time owner of a m/b c200 elegance , the only problem im having is the mono wipe mechanism it will work fine , go through all the motions ie intermitent etc .... but when it comes to rest it is sitting 8 inches up the screen in my line of sight !!! then when i start the wiper again it goes down the 8 inches then does the full selected cycle and then again stop at the 8 inches !!!!!!!!!!!!! any idea whats going on ???????? is there a sensor telling the wiper where to stop ??? any info would be much appreciated :D

If it does this all the time and you are sure that it is not meant to be like that? It could simply be that the arm has been fitted a couple of teeth out on it's spindle. Try taking the arm off and refitting a couple of teeth round.

I wouldn't move the wiper arm if it is moving back to the rest position when you activate it again!

Might be worth greasing the mechanism first (I believe there is a 'How To' on the forum) and go from there

i bet if you change your indicator stalk the problem will disapear!

...well assuming its the simlar concept of the all in one stalk as a 124 then changing this may help.

i had an issue with my wipers intermittingly operate when the stalk was in the off position.

perhaps with this case it could be due to the contacts in the stalk that are worn out or on its way out??

of course i could be completly wrong but thats where i would start.

...well assuming its the simlar concept of the all in one stalk as a 124 then changing this may help.

i had an issue with my wipers intermittingly operate when the stalk was in the off position.

perhaps with this case it could be due to the contacts in the stalk that are worn out or on its way out??

of course i could be completly wrong but thats where i would start.

Ta! :thumb:

its not a difficult job at all to replace.

My contacts had worn out on the stalk so i replaced it and solved the problem. It can be fixed by re soldering etc..but better i thought to replace the whole unit.

It's probable that the reason for the wiper in this scenario not sitting in the correct position is beacuse it thinks it needs to do another wipe then thinks hold up... all singnals are off!

..must be contacts on the way out.

Last edited:
You could be right. Just replaced our switch as the right indicator was a bit variable. Not only did it fix the indicators but a slight variability in the parking of the wipers has also cleared up.

thanks for the info guys i thought at first it was the mechanism so i greased it all and it was still the same ! so now i will try the stalk see if thats the cause of it as ive just found another tell tale sign of the problem which is if you try to push it down manually it springs back up does a full wipe, then rests in the same position so will defo try a new stalk any idea of cost for one of those ????????????

If your W202 is a early version then the multi-fuction relay could be faulty, this is located in the drivers side fuse box under the bonnet at the very back.
Or if your W202 is a face lift then their is a parking feature built into the wiper motor :thumb:

Problem Solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!! turns out it was probably switched on in the recent snow and it jumped the thread ! i bumped into a mate of mine who is a mercedes master tech. just havnt seen him in 2 years + he told me there is markers on the mechanism and if they dont line up you get the problem ive been havin so i removed the motor turned it over and he was right ! lol now i just need to get the rust out of the arches and the srs light out then car will be near mint ! :) thanks for all the help guys i will be posting pics of my car soon so watch this space :)

If it does this all the time and you are sure that it is not meant to be like that? It could simply be that the arm has been fitted a couple of teeth out on it's spindle. Try taking the arm off and refitting a couple of teeth round.

I've recently had this happen to mine and sounds like the same cause...how do i take the arm off and check the spindle?

The whole mechanism needs to be removed and then re-set. The markings are very visible on the hub

Is it a straight forward task? Did a search but couldn't find a "how to" other than the one to grease the motor

You will have to take the mechanism out of the car as you have to make sure the alignment markings are correct, you can’t see the alignment markings without removing the mechanism from the car.

Before doing any work on the mechanism, the wiper MOTOR must first be in its park position.

= turn on the wiper and let it run for a few seconds.
= turn the wiper OFF AT THE STALK SWITCH.
= Wait a few seconds for the wiper MOTOR and the BLADE to finish its cycle and come to a stop.
= remove keys from ignition.

Your wiper MOTOR is now parked, your wiper Blade will be on the wrong place on the screen, to rectify this, remove the mechanism from the car and realign the mechanism so as the alignment marks are as in picture below.

9718d1203019908-c-class-180-93-wipers-park-mid-screen-.jpg

If you read post #5 in the above link. It will explain how to remove the wiper mechanism from the car, there is now a lot of advertising junk on that link… windshield wiper ... nothing we can do about that, you will just have to “click” your way through it.

Dec

Many thanks. Will take a look through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom