MOT failure :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 149005
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 149005

Reasons...all major..

Dirty number plate - can barely leave a finger mark when wiping clean

Club sticker in windscreen where the tax disc used to go - if it was a tax disc or parking permit it would pass

8-10mm crack / chop in windscreen right in the edge of zone A. The tester admitted that because he is taller than me it is in his eyeline but not mine..the chip has been there, unchanged, for 3 years...

And this was at the local council MoT test station...

Last edited by a moderator:
Club sticker where tax disc used to go now an mot failure?(both our mb’s passed last October with club stickers in the same place)

People who work for local councils have a reputation of being 'jobsworths' , other than the crack in the windscreen in zone A, the others sound like bull$hit to me.

P.S you should really give your vehicle a clean before taking it for MOT.

Yea - I washed it last weekend and only driven 30 miles...

Still, windscreen repair now booked...

Club sticker where tax disc used to go now an mot failure?(both our mb’s passed last October with club stickers in the same place)

Yup - petty in the extreme.. I think he was looking to fail on 3 things, maybe because I commented pre test that the windscreen washer needs a double / deep push on the MB. He tried to fail it last year because he didn’t know ..

should I report that. despite being tested at 7:30 this morning, 28./2, the certificate is dated 26/02 at 15.37…

Our local one failed a friend's car for no ABS warning light and ABS wiring damaged. The car didn't have ABS (the "damaged" wire was a pad wear sensor). They also marked it down for missing rear view mirror, which is not a failure in that position.

Upon mentioning that VOSA might find this of interest, a pass certificate mysteriously appeared.

should I report that. despite being tested at 7:30 this morning, 28./2, the certificate is dated 26/02 at 15.37…
Yes. It's indicative of a sloppy attitude at best, or perhaps something more serious. VOSA take things like that very seriously.

Reactions: 219
8-10mm crack / chop in windscreen right in the edge of zone A. The tester admitted that because he is taller than me it is in his eyeline but not mine..the chip has been there, unchanged, for 3 years...

That's also a cause for concern - Zone A is defined by specific measurements of the vehicle, driver eyeline is totally irrelevant.

It even says in the test manual "You do not need to consider the effects on tall or short drivers." :doh:

It's a shame when you get a bad one i had an MOT tester replace a couple of bulbs once for free!

He said a side light and licence plate bulb had gone and didn't wan't to fail it just because of that so i changed them i couldn't believe it. Once i paid for the MOT and thanked him i tipped him a tenner purely for the gesture.

I did have to refresh my memory on Zone A

download.jpg

Reactions: 219

How is that possible with the DVLA electronic recording of MOT's on line. The first thing they do is log your car into the system because an MOT can't be issued until a certain time span has elapsed. I think it's something in the region of 40 mins. for cars.

Unless this is Northern Island. I don't know how it works there.

How is that possible with the DVLA electronic recording of MOT's on line. The first thing they do is log your car into the system because an MOT can't be issued until a certain time span has elapsed. I think it's something in the region of 40 mins. for cars.

Unless this is Northern Island. I don't know how it works there.
I've never had an MOT (in NI) last as long as 40 minutes.

My bike tester always took 3 mins.
Back in the days of the winch brake testers, the guy who used to do the MOT's on my bikes rarely took that long... ;)

My bike is now exempt from an MOT but when it was tested the actual work took no more than a relaxed 10 mins. The rest of the time I chatted with the tester while we waited for the DVLA computer to time out.

Reactions: Ted
Mrs Saff is a nurse at a major hospital. Since the demise of tax discs she has always displayed her parking permit in that spot. Never a mention at MOT time. I think at best the tester is speaking through his botty or at worst is inept.

There have been several threads over the years recording the ineptitude, sloppiness and ignorance of MOT testers.

I appreciate the tester cannot know the foibles of every car which explains why, over the years, my coupe has failed twice because the "front seats cannot be secured in the upright position. (6.2.a.2)". (For those who don't know, they only lock pneumatically when doors shut and engine running).

I agree with greenmanslk that the tester "was looking to fail on 3 things" - probably to justify filling up a sheet of paper.

This year my coupe failed because "Offside front coil spring fractured or broken (5.3.1 (b) (i))" - perfectly reasonable and justified, but the bugger went on to add "Nearside front headlamp aim too high (4.1.2 (a))" and "Offside front headlamp aim too high (4.1.2 (a))."

The thing is, he was the guy who tested it last year and I had done barely 3900 miles over the year. WTF do headlamps do by themselves over that sort of mileage and timescale!

My brakelines have been quietly corroding over the past decade or so and randomly appear as an advisory before magically curing themselves again.

Gah!

Reasons...all major..

Dirty number plate - can barely leave a finger mark when wiping clean

Club sticker in windscreen where the tax disc used to go - if it was a tax disc or parking permit it would pass

According to the law an 8 to 10mm crack in Zone A is not a failure, well it says should be contained within 10mm. Move the Club sticker further up the window so that it is outside of the swept area and clean your number plate, then go back, take a print of the linked page and ask him politly to issue a pass :)

4 weeks ago now i failed a boys disco sport cause 2 tyres were split, bulging and the chords were sticking out, there was 4mm on his tyres he didnt believe they should have failed and then started shouting at me about taking it to vosa and that its costing him £160 a tyre and i should just pass it, what a total nobhead, i explained it simply the issue with his tyres that he wasnt getting a pass unless them tyres werent on it, he started shouting again i told him 1 minute turned around and walked off and got him an mot appeal form, he was back a few days later with new tyres then he got his pass cert.
What im getting at is that its up to us testers to make sure the cars on uk roads meet the minimum criteria to be safe for all other road users and pedestrians and if your car doesnt well sorry mate your gonna get a fail. Folk seem to think that they know better than the techician/mot tester working on their car. As for the op the tester doesnt know you from adam and in the motor trade we get test cars brought into us (that we dont know about) from anywhere really with known faults on them and cameras to watch us, they are legitimate fails in the testers manual, he was just doing his job correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom