my car written off?? - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Be very careful with this approach. I understand that some of these companies will provide you with a car (and they stress it can be an equivalent quality car) for no charge to you - BUT then they claim an absolutely outrageous daily hire charge from your insurer or 3rd party. The danger is that the third party claims that you are not being reasonable in your claim and it ends up in a dispute. If you can demonstrate that you reasonably need a car (to go to work for example) then you should hire a car at a reasonable price from a local or national supplier and let the third party know what you are doing and why (and the daily amount) and that you will be recaliming the costs from them as part of the claim against them. They should forward it to their insurers and this will motivate them to move more quickly to settle the claim one way or another.
Make sure you put it all in writing.

I've just had an equivalent vehicle on hire whilst mine was repaired for a no-fault prang (not shopping at Comet this Christmas....). The accident management company spoke to the insurers for the perpetrator and agreed the liek for like hire up front.

I've just had an equivalent vehicle on hire whilst mine was repaired for a no-fault prang (not shopping at Comet this Christmas....). The accident management company spoke to the insurers for the perpetrator and agreed the liek for like hire up front.

Thats fine - the point is agree it up front.

Tauuman

Contact he TP insurance company.

If liablity is clear, they will offer you a courtesy car as they can control the cost of that (they will have a national contract with someone) you should get something comparable or just under yours in terms of size. No cost to you (and they should insure it)

If liablity is not, get it agreed asap - but if you do hire from Enterprise, don't take the S class they offer you, stay with a smallish car to show willing

You could use the TP insurers to look over the work you are having done (and they are paying for ulitmately) - its a clever practice. If you have legal support on your motor policy they can help you get all this ULR sorted including your excess.

Good luck

PS - you can claim market value not book value. Have examples from the ads of what your car would cost to buy again from a dealer, not as a trader on trade in.... though if the Glasses guide is out of date - that might be more :eek:

Taumann ,

I have just spoken to my pal who compiles the database of used car values for Autocar magazine , and given him the spec of your car ...

His reply ...

He's been given a good offer we think.

There's no official mileage adjustment on cars that age - it's a bit of a black art. Traditional mileage adjustment would add too much value. Even our calculator is a bit off mate. Glass's say dealer retail £2260 /// Private £1870 based on 85k miles , so we think he should be happy with £2800

Sounds like you might be better taking the money and running

H

car written off

the third party's insurance co (admiral) have been very helpful and have arranged a hired car (ford mondeo)....

my company (swiftcover) have been particularly unhelpful...a car hire company instructed by them contacted me today (12 days later!!) to offer me car..

ive refused their offer to write off my car on the grounds that it will cost me a lot more than £2800 to replace my car...they're not budging for the moment..
they have moved my car to a storage facility against my wishes...my personal possessions are at the garage..

how do i proceed from here? what are my rights?

cheers

the third party's insurance co (admiral) have been very helpful and have arranged a hired car (ford mondeo)....

my company (swiftcover) have been particularly unhelpful...a car hire company instructed by them contacted me today (12 days later!!) to offer me car..

ive refused their offer to write off my car on the grounds that it will cost me a lot more than £2800 to replace my car...they're not budging for the moment..
they have moved my car to a storage facility against my wishes...my personal possessions are at the garage..

how do i proceed from here? what are my rights?

cheers

It's your car, so you have it returned if you wish.

However £2800 is a good offer, so you might be taking a risk asking for more.

I had a car damaged a few years back and went through the whole insurance rigmarole....

They finally agreed to repair the car as I really loved it, but it was never the same. It looked perfect, but it just wasn’t the same. I regretted not taking the cash offer a very short time after getting the repaired car back.

If you can get an equivalent or better replacement for circa £3k, I’d take the offer. :)

Hello

What do you actually want? what offer would you say 'yes thats ok send me the cheque'

Its seems you may be drawing this out longer than needs be, if others in the trade have already said its a good offer? they know they buy these things day in day out.

We ALL probably think our cars are worth more than they actually are, thats life.

Sorry I think you should take it? I doubt very much they will go to £3500 say and if they do how long will this take?

Also , the point will come when they will say , ' That's our final offer we have given you , we'd like our hire car back now please '

Honestly £2.8k is a good price , personally i would take it.

Also , the point will come when they will say , ' That's our final offer we have given you , we'd like our hire car back now please '

Honestly £2.8k is a good price , personally i would take it.

I'd second all that.... take the money - it will surly buy you an equivalant/better car.

How about this

Or about a 98 C240 Sport for £2.8K (with those wheels and some additional chrome). :D :D :D

Car Written Off....pushed Insurance Co To The Limit

Hi All

Pushed And Pushed My Insurance Company Until They Eventually Agreed To Pay £3400!!! Result!

Now Need To Get Rid Of All Those Parts Sitting In The Garage..see My Other Ad For Great Bargains!

Thanks For All Your Advice...

Done well there mate ! ......... really well :eek:

If your not at fault then legally you can insist your car is repaired whatever the cost, they CANNOT insist its written off on a cost vs value basis.

If your not at fault then legally you can insist your car is repaired whatever the cost, they CANNOT insist its written off on a cost vs value basis.

I wouldn't imagine an insurance co would pay out more than a vehicle is worth to repair it, I really think you would have a fight on your hands....

I wouldn't imagine an insurance co would pay out more than a vehicle is worth to repair it, I really think you would have a fight on your hands....

It doesn't matter, if the damage was caused by someone else and you were not at fault you can legally insist they repair your car whatever the cost as long as its only an economical write off, because i move in the retro and custom car scene we come across this all the time as they consistantly under value modified or old cars not yet considered "classic" by them.

When my 24v 2.9 mk5 Cortina got burnt out they offered 400 quid originally, eventually they had to pay out over 3 grand to get me off they're backs and even then i only stopped pushing them because i couldnt be ****d to go for its full value and i needed the money to get mobile again. Had it been written off by someone else i would have insisted they repair it which would have cost em over 10 grand with the labour, but legally they would have had to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom