My knob is broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

Hi, All.

My spinning knob thing in the centre console has stopped working properly.

It works as N.E.S.W directional and push down button, but rotating it no longer scrolls radio stations, etc. It doesn't do anything when rotating.

It's not something I'd expected to break to be honest. Is it a known issue? Do I need a replacement, or is mine repairable?

Thanks.

Oh so it is a known issue then. :(

Do you know if it can just be dismantled, cleaned and reassembled, or do I need a replacement?

I think FINICKY is the word! Its the shaft that breaks. Depends on the cost of a new one I guess as to how much effort you wish to put in? [YOUTUBE HD]0Y7PzqKSx3Q[/YOUTUBE HD]

Last edited:
Don't mind effort. I'd fix a broken watch movement with enough time...

That video looks very straight forward to remove it though, and to be honest, I'm looking forward to removing those trim panels so I can give it a proper clear (hard to get right into edges when polishing, tried credit card in rag, but no substitute for removing and cleaning).

Not watched the 2nd repair video though, will watch that tonight.

:D

Last edited:
Will be interested to hear how you get on. If repair is unsuccessful or not an option then at least you will save on the labour for replacement.

I had exactly the same problem with my knob !!

I found these videos on YouTube and after warching them took the part out. I was then able to dismantle it and repair it as per the second video and worked a treat.

If, as you say, you could repair a watch this will be easy. Good luck.

Cleaning your crack

I'm looking forward to removing those trim panels so I can give it a proper clear (hard to get right into edges when polishing, tried credit card in rag, but no substitute for removing and cleaning).

A decorators painting brush is wonderful for getting into those awkward little corners:cool:

So, this is all very true. It's that shaft that snaps...

It's poorly designed, as the cross-sectioned section of the shaft meets up with the metal insert plug that takes the input. All it needs to be massively stronger is 1mm or so of plastic between the cross-threaded section and the metal insert...

Anyway, it's in it's component parts, and ready for re-assembly. It's given me a perfect opportunity to clean a slightly sticky C (cancel) button at the same time, as with all the gubbins removed, there's no electricals in the button area (which just transfers the input to the below PCB) so I washed it properly with warm soapy water.

Also pleased to see that all the wooden trim panels are real wood veneer. I assumed they were some printed affair.

Re-assembled...

I managed to snap one of the SMD sensors in half off the circuit board, but managed to solder it back on.

I cleaned and polished all my trim panels, tightened lots of screws up that'd worked loose in the console and reassembled.

I tested it and it's working perfectly again. :D

Attachments

• IMG_7454-2.jpg
    IMG_7454-2.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 37
Glad its sorted - time will tell as to the long term success of the repair- may well be stronger than the original- what did you use as the glue for the shaft repair - epoxy?
I never chased up the replacement cost of one of these but I'm guessing you saved a tidy sum with that DIY.

It's definitely stronger than the original.

If you see the join, you'll see why it's so weak. It's as if it's a designed weak point, but no idea why - I think it's just a bodged design.

In the video he used match sticks, but his shaft snapped lower down, so the match sticks epoxied in could bridge and brace that gap (you can fit 4 into the cross sections of the shaft). In mine, it broke right at the top where the plastic stops to meet the metal insert, so the plastic is only 4 x 1mm² bits connecting at that point.

I used a super strong edition of araldite, which covers much more surface area than 4 x 1mm² and also bonds those bits back together. So no doubt it's stronger than original.

The only annoying thing is that you really do have to cut that cable. Otherwise you'd have to remove the entire centre console, as it's hooked under somewhere you can't access from the top.

I soldered the cable back together with staggered joins using heat shrink, so it's as good as new...

... and the entire area looks brand new as I was able to properly clean and polish everything while it was out, including treating the leather gear-knob gaiter to a leather cream inside and out.

Also got to tighten a couple dozen screws around the console and lower dash area that'd relaxed over the 7 years of the car's life.

So overall, very pleased it broke. :D

The only annoying thing is that you really do have to cut that cable. Otherwise you'd have to remove the entire centre console, as it's hooked under somewhere you can't access from the top.

Yes, sorry I was going to add this to my post. Glad you got it sorted. I asked my Indy for a price on the whole assembly and it came to about £250 so a big bill saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom