• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

My new W212 E63 - ex Mercedes press car

Teddy, having had both cars together on the drive together for 3 years, the 350cdi is a seriously hard car to beat. Leagues ahead of 5 Series and A6 equivalents in terms of sheer refinement. Going from the 63 to the 350 in the same day, never ever did I feel short changed in it. Still have the 350 today and it’s coming on 10 years old.
I went from a 265hp 350cdi to an E63 Bi-turbo and completely agree. I always though the ‘63 was like the 350 on steroids: it was more of everything that the 350 was already excellent at.

I honestly rate the W212 E63 Bi-turbo as amongst the most complete cars on the planet. The E350cdi is a brilliantly refined package too - and not as far behind the ’63 in most on-the-road scenarios as people may think.

I went from a 265hp 350cdi to an E63 Bi-turbo and completely agree. I always though the ‘63 was like the 350 on steroids: it was more of everything that the 350 was already excellent at.

I honestly rate the W212 E63 Bi-turbo as amongst the most complete cars on the planet. The E350cdi is a brilliantly refined package too - and not as far behind the ’63 in most on-the-road scenarios as people may think.
Having done 11k miles in the 5.5 biturbo while I can't compare it to the 350 which i assume has a nicer ride (and half the fuel cost), in my head i still like to compare the e63 and c63s i had before it. The tech on the c63s being a 2018 was ofcourse miles ahead, no silly pedal foot brake on the c class either , the keyless entry on the c was much better too. The ride on the e class is more comfortable and the engine has more oomph for sure on the E. The E also feels generally more daily driveable and sensible and grown up(far less wild ), the exhaust being less advanced and quiet too on the E. The E is more spacious in the cabin. The E also seems more stable and less likely to go sideways. So far so good. I won't be swapping it for something else anytime soon. The c is a bit more rowdy and in your face and the E is more grown up. I think I'd give them an even score overall . Can't go wrong with either

When the car is nice and clean the weather always seems to take a turn for the worse! It‘s winter so not a surprise but I’d love to keep it looking this sharp every day:

View attachment 123007

She looks great....I hope to be driving the same car very soon. Ideally the grey like yours too.....but finding the right car (at the right price....not easy at the moment!) is far more important than the colour of course. Ideally I'd like to find the darker grey (Tenorite I believe. its called..at least it was on the PFL models).....but with the pale grey interior. My last few cars have had black skin...and I do find it a bit depressing. My current ALFA159 has it....and although my old Alfa 156 Vw Veloce as a smaller car than the 159 it felt so much bigger inside due to it having tan MOMO leather. But I may end up having to have black again as it appears that hardly anyone buying W212 E63 models ordered anything other than black leather!

Ideally I'd like to find the darker grey (Tenorite I believe. its called..at least it was on the PFL models).....but with the pale grey interior.
I fear you'll be on a unicorn hunt if that's your ideal colour combo.
But I may end up having to have black again as it appears that hardly anyone buying W212 E63 models ordered anything other than black leather!
Black interiors were pretty much the default on the W212 E63's. There are a few cars around with light-coloured interiors, but they're the exception rather than the rule and as a result are more sought after so tend to realise higher prices.

As far as external colours go, on the facelift cars the only ones I'd personally avoid are the Designo Magno (matt) ones unless it's going to be a garage queen due to the higher maintenance demands. Diamond White and Hyacinth Red pearlescents are relatively common as they were relatively moderately priced optional colours. However, beware Diamond White if it requires any paintwork to get it to 100% as it's a real pig to colour match and it yellows over time meaning that any good match now could look poor in two or three years.

All that said, I'm sure you're experienced enough to buy on spec and condition, so good luck with your search.

I fear you'll be on a unicorn hunt if that's your ideal colour combo.

Black interiors were pretty much the default on the W212 E63's. There are a few cars around with light-coloured interiors, but they're the exception rather than the rule and as a result are more sought after so tend to realise higher prices.

As far as external colours go, on the facelift cars the only ones I'd personally avoid are the Designo Magno (matt) ones unless it's going to be a garage queen due to the higher maintenance demands. Diamond White and Hyacinth Red pearlescents are relatively common as they were relatively moderately priced optional colours. However, beware Diamond White if it requires any paintwork to get it to 100% as it's a real pig to colour match and it yellows over time meaning that any good match now could look poor in two or three years.

All that said, I'm sure you're experienced enough to buy on spec and condition, so good luck with your search.

When I was looking there were a few Hyacinth Red cars for sale, one had the light interior and it was a very attractive colour combination. It also looked less aggressive overall and more like a luxury saloon which has an appeal.

I also saw this one for sale previously in blue which seems very rare and I guess if I had been able to spec the car brand new this would be my ideal colour scheme:

FC288413-F417-4CDC-B3DA-4E82D2ABC369.jpeg

Cheers....you would have to pay me to have a matt finish car! I'm of the generation that feels cars should be shiny....cleaning and polishing my cars is a pleasure....yes I'm weird! I don't like the matt finishes at all. On my list of car dislikes it ranks right up there with the current fad for primer grey cars.....or Airfix kit grey as my wife says!. Put both together like my neighbours matt finish primer grey RS6 and that's about as dull (literally as well as figuratively!) as cars get to me!

Obviously I meant V6 Veloce in my post above (not VW...LOL). Its very odd that you can only edit posts for 30 minutes on here. All the other sites I use there is no time limit....with my spelling and lack of proof reading that's a problem!....will just have to be more careful!

Just to add:

If you do manage to find a car with Crystal Grey or Silk Beige upholstery you will still get black carpets and black roof lining, unless someone sprung best part of £1,500 on the Designo DINAMICA roof lining in Alpaca Grey.

My pre-facelift car did have the black DINAMICA roof lining which was part of the "Luxury" pack, but I've never seen a car with the Alpaca Grey roof lining.

As the awful weather continues no better time to fit some new wiper blades. These Mercedes’ branded ones appear identical to the Bosch ones that came off; the three-pointed star no doubt added a few quid!

54B87D8B-9091-4E06-A7C5-896C7E5BBF3C.jpeg

E60F8C77-57DF-4B24-8BC6-9970A9636F90.jpeg

Small top up with V-Power!

3C396CB9-CC25-4F48-979F-F5FCC6BA7A78.jpeg

Car is back from fettling having had:

MOT
LSD fluid replaced
Coolant thermostat replaced
Cabin filter
Engine air filters

Running absolutely beautifully just now and hoping to finally get some decent weather for some overdue road trips. NC500 on the list and so was a run through Germany but I am staggered by the cost of the ferry now from either Newcastle or Hull which has made me think again. A cheaper option would be the tunnel but even in this car it’s a boring old haul down there, and more so when coming home. We’ll see.

Next dry day I’ll be cracking on with the usual cleaning routine so the car will at least be looking nice even if not going very far meantime.

There is an NC 500 ROAD TRIP (Spaces were available) for a cost of £400 all in including drinks hotels etc ill try and find the link 22nd April

Small top up with V-Power!

View attachment 124664

Car is back from fettling having had:

MOT
LSD fluid replaced
Coolant thermostat replaced
Cabin filter
Engine air filters

Running absolutely beautifully just now and hoping to finally get some decent weather for some overdue road trips. NC500 on the list and so was a run through Germany but I am staggered by the cost of the ferry now from either Newcastle or Hull which has made me think again. A cheaper option would be the tunnel but even in this car it’s a boring old haul down there, and more so when coming home. We’ll see.

Next dry day I’ll be cracking on with the usual cleaning routine so the car will at least be looking nice even if not going very far meantime.
nc500 is bloody amazing get it done !

Spider - that’s superb, thanks for the link. I was considering this during school holidays (I know) so that myself and eldest son could do a good old bit of father son memory making. There will likely be no V8 twin turbo cars in his driving future sadly.

Enjoy these cars while we can.

Yep, filthy already as anticipated. At least the new wiper blades got a work out…

7D7B6DF8-5940-4EAA-A77A-382639574C83.jpeg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great day out at The Motorist in North Yorkshire today. Great venue and lovely mix of cars to have a look at in the sunshine. Pleasantly surprised by the overall fuel consumption on this run but the average speed does look pessimistic…

13608652-51BA-453A-8FA0-2394D301EA3E.jpeg

5FD1690F-2B03-4E2A-AF7A-B6A08BE774B1.jpeg

8CE6BEBD-9ED2-46DE-9827-6D0A3BF0A362.jpeg

0F9B4BA4-09A3-4DC9-A544-9E74D431C4A9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom