My SL55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The few SL's that I have seen that are lowered to that extent have been on coilovers, there are some YouTube videos where the owners have gone to coilovers, one by Tavarish on an SL55 and another by someone called Hunter Swint.

I've seen Tavarish convert his to coilovers, its not something I would do, I think that would be a downgrade and can't see it out performing the ABC system which I quite like. The silver car is lowered on a KW DLC lowering module so an ABC car.

ABC is a great system, my only reservation about it is that when it fails your car is disabled requiring a low loader to rescue it!

ABC is a great system, my only reservation about it is that when it fails your car is disabled requiring a low loader to rescue it!
I get that but the reality is different. I had mine fail and was able to limp home.

on the other hand the only time I’ve needed the AA in the last ten years was a puncture on my SL - no spare!!!

there’s plenty of other things to go wrong that the ABC is not worth worrying about.

Car looks amazing - though as you say it would look great lowered down a bit.

I just bought some adjustable lowering links which are really well engineered and the guy was supportive on the phone - happy to give a link if you're interested. He recommends lowering by about 7cm with ABC, that's presumably the standard 18" wheels. Me, I haven't got as far as doing it because a) for love nor money I can't get the back of the car on axle stands and don't fancy climbing underneath it on a trolley jack, love to know how anyone else does it and b) I discovered one corner sits at 68cm while the others are 70 so I'm keeping an eye on that before lowering it further. It's not sinking down, it just likes being lower than the other corners.

Also I believe the lowering at speed is when it's on one of the higher settings, it brings it down towards standard height. So, again probably needs to be verified, but it doesn't come down below wherever you set it with the adjustable links.

Also I can thoroughly recommend the Royal Steering Wheel mod (thicker, alcantara, matching stitching, flat base etc) with the paddles you linked to from g-paddles - many thanks for that. Had the wheel fitted the other day, added the paddles in about an hour, absolutely delighted. Will post a pic shortly. Would match what you're describing with the alcantara interior.

I just bought some adjustable lowering links which are really well engineered and the guy was supportive on the phone - happy to give a link if you're interested. He recommends lowering by about 7cm with ABC, that's presumably the standard 18" wheels. Me, I haven't got as far as doing it because a) for love nor money I can't get the back of the car on axle stands and don't fancy climbing underneath it on a trolley jack, love to know how anyone else does it and b) I discovered one corner sits at 68cm while the others are 70 so I'm keeping an eye on that before lowering it further. It's not sinking down, it just likes being lower than the other corners.

Also I believe the lowering at speed is when it's on one of the higher settings, it brings it down towards standard height. So, again probably needs to be verified, but it doesn't come down below wherever you set it with the adjustable links.

Cheers Dan.

Car is screaming at me to narrow that arch gap 😆 So I've been quietly researching in the back ground, during my research I happened upon a used LoMo M1 lowering module for the SL55 and after further reading a couple of beers, some man maths a deal was struck! Obviously more expense than the lowering links but the height adjustment can be accessed via the menu screens and altered using the steering wheel buttons, I thought that was an absolute winner of an idea and totally sold it too me. Fingers crossed I'll get it fitted tomorrow and hopefully update with some pictures.

Yeah don't get under the car on a trolley jack alone, im sure there are plenty of souls in heaven that regret that move. I put my axle stands on the lower suspension arms but I also either leave my trolley jack underneath somewhere whilst im under it or I have two big pieces of timber I stick under the sill's, just in case! The front is even worse for locating the axle stands.

Hmm when i measured my car the rears were about 20mm higher than the fronts and was equal across both axles, so 700 front, 720 rear. I'll be taking the rake angle out of the car when I lower i think, strange that one corner is lower but expect there is some tolerance within the sensors or the bushes are more worn on that corner maybe?

Also I can thoroughly recommend the Royal Steering Wheel mod (thicker, alcantara, matching stitching, flat base etc) with the paddles you linked to from g-paddles - many thanks for that. Had the wheel fitted the other day, added the paddles in about an hour, absolutely delighted. Will post a pic shortly. Would match what you're describing with the alcantara interior.

Lets see the pic's dude, funnily enough my wheel was also waiting for me when I got home from work last night 🥳 I'll post some pic's of that too when I get it fitted tomorrow. Those G paddles are a huge improvement over the buttons aren't they, subtle but what a difference! Just need to improve the speed of the shifts now!

You will like the LoMo! I have one fitted to our ML which is on airmatic. All controlled via a remote which sits in the centre console, with a maximum drop of 50mm. The drop onbtop of putting it in 'sports' mode (which lowers the suspension by 20mm or so) tucks the wheel under the arches! Completely impractical and can't be driven when like this, but was interested to see how it would look.

There is a lot of flexibility within the parameters in the module to get it to the desired height for your personal preference. The best bit of all is how when you switch it off, the car just returns to factory settings.

On maximum 'drop' mode (22" wheels)
IMG_7057.jpeg

Currently on 21" wheels

IMG_7746.jpeg

Stunning colour - always loved the SL55......lets hope the weather stays decent and you can have a few roof off days in the winter sun

You will like the LoMo! I have one fitted to our ML which is on airmatic. All controlled via a remote which sits in the centre console, with a maximum drop of 50mm. The drop onbtop of putting it in 'sports' mode (which lowers the suspension by 20mm or so) tucks the wheel under the arches! Completely impractical and can't be driven when like this, but was interested to see how it would look.

There is a lot of flexibility within the parameters in the module to get it to the desired height for your personal preference. The best bit of all is how when you switch it off, the car just returns to factory settings.

On maximum 'drop' mode (22" wheels)
View attachment 105180

Currently on 21" wheels

View attachment 105181

That looks awesome! love those black wheels. The LoMo for the SL doesn't come with a remote, it integrates with the CANBUS so almost becomes like a factory feature as the control is integrated into the instrument clusters menu. Proper cool and stealthy, i just hope it drops the car enough to look right.

XQVhxpl.jpg

Dan, I forgot to mention that during my read up of the LoMo it did make reference to the lowering of the car motorway speeds and provides the option to turn this on or off. I don't know if this applies to all the ride height settings or not, i guess in time i might find out :oops:

Stunning colour - always loved the SL55......lets hope the weather stays decent and you can have a few roof off days in the winter sun

Thanks, I've always had a soft spot the SL55 too, i drive it nearly everyday and the roof comes off whenever its dry to be honest 😀 but i think that will get parked up when the temperatures plummet and the gritting of the roads starts! I'll be back to bimbling about in the Range Rover which feels positively pedestrian in comparison.

I didn't want to hijack your thread about your car with pictures of mine, but here is the steering wheel and paddles:

That looks awesome! love those black wheels. The LoMo for the SL doesn't come with a remote, it integrates with the CANBUS so almost becomes like a factory feature as the control is integrated into the instrument clusters menu. Proper cool and stealthy, i just hope it drops the car enough to look right.

XQVhxpl.jpg

Dan, I forgot to mention that during my read up of the LoMo it did make reference to the lowering of the car motorway speeds and provides the option to turn this on or off. I don't know if this applies to all the ride height settings or not, i guess in time i might find out :oops:

Thanks, I've always had a soft spot the SL55 too, i drive it nearly everyday and the roof comes off whenever its dry to be honest 😀 but i think that will get parked up when the temperatures plummet and the gritting of the roads starts! I'll be back to bimbling about in the Range Rover which feels positively pedestrian in comparison.
That is how mine is too, integrated with the canbus etc. I was unable to alter it from the cluster menus (I believe that may have been the previous version for the brand I purchased) but they still offer that version too. Mine has a flying lead routed through the footwell, behind that dash and into the centre console with the remote. Not entirely sure you need all the setting on the remote, but they must be there for some reason. lol

This is what I purchased, which is basically a rebranded version of the renntech ones from reading the forums over the pond.

Looking forward to your pics of the install, no doubt it will be as epic as the rest of the car! :thumb:

XQVhxpl.jpg

Saw the SL out and about yesterday - really does look the business! What I like about the colour is that it changes all the time in different light. Spectacular.

Saw the SL out and about yesterday - really does look the business! What I like about the colour is that it changes all the time in different light. Spectacular.

Haha thanks mate, i agree with you, you really need to see it in the flesh to fully appreciate the colour and even then the sun brings the best out of it.

So I've been busy with the spanner again and finally got my steering wheel fitted, I order this ages ago and on first delivery it wasn't finished! So back to Europe it went. Gladly on the next attempt it was finished and I couldnt be happier with it. So after swapping over the buttons and the G paddles I slapped it on. I quite like it :cool:

MAJBjvf.jpg

QZrSHLh.jpg

MnDq4oo.jpg

But since the wheel has been removed I now have a SRS error on the dash! I think it will need to STAR to clear it which has finally spurred me on to order it. I will need one soon anyway as I want to flush the ABC system and perform the rodeo before hand and I've no doubt it will come in handy during the course of my ownership.

NcIXxjy.jpg

That brings me on to the task of fitting the LoMo, on the face of it ,it should be really straight forward. Finding the CANBUS header was a ball ache (which is under the carpet on the drivers side, next to the sill) and cost me a significant amount of skin from the the back of my hand, many words were used non of which were nice. Still I got it in and it has dropped the car significantly which looks great, downside is I can't get the dash to display the adjustment menu, slightly annoyed but I have acheived what I set out to do.

Before lowering:-

54QWkHb.jpg

After lowering:-

5NcXvsT.jpg

Chuffed with the outcome and I've driven it albeit with one light on the ride height button without any scraping etc, I haven't got the bottle up to try on the lowest of settings yet. You might also notice the return of the rear spoiler! A combination of 3M VHB tape and UPOL tiger seal got the job done, it'll probably never come off again now 🤣

QYCwPxk.jpg

Just a few more things in the pipeline and I'll call it done for this year, maybe ;)

Definitely looks better lowered.

How i missed this thread i've no idea lol.

Great looking car, Love the wheels, and she looks stunning lowered, Just watch that splitter ;)

How i missed this thread i've no idea lol.

Great looking car, Love the wheels, and she looks stunning lowered, Just watch that splitter ;)

Its come a long way already hasn't it, It is so much better to drive than when I first picked it up and aesthetically im very happy with it and its very nearly done for the exterior mods. Its amazing isnt it how something like the ride height can transform a car, Im thinking the front wheels could use a small spacer though 🤔

I had an unexpected free morning and the luckily for me a delivery 🥳

p8fiHt8.jpg

gi2bv7Y.jpg

Really impressed with the quality of these and since I had an hour or two, I wasted no time getting them fitted.

4IymTej.jpg

fHdLNCL.jpg

I think they've turned out really nice, just the carbon rear diffuser piece for the rear bumper in place of the mesh and I think she's done externally, big paint detail will be done in the spring, I might polish out the headlight plastic lenses soon, before they get any worse but thats it for now.

Im on the look out for some black interior pieces, namely the sunvisors and associated bracket pieces, the centre roof light cluster and rear view mirror. If anyone has anything like that please get in touch. I've put a few feelers out too so hopefully I'll get something eventually. Alternatively if anyone knows of any products I can use to recolour / repaint the plastics in black without it looking crap im all ears. I'll crack on trimming the roof trim pieces in faux alcantara once I have these pieces in black, it'll be a good winter project to finish the interior trimming.

I've also 3D printed off a repair piece for one of the rear trims, I've no idea what they're called but maybe some will recognise it! I noticed it missing when i dropped the roof down weeks ago!

UVwK3oC.jpg

I stuck some old wheel weights to the back of it as I won't bother with a spring, I've now ordered a few different vinyl samples, nothing matches the original finish, not even close so I don't know which way I'll go here. I 'll possibly trim it in faux alcantara like the rest of the car and hopefully the roof and pillar trims if I can find the black plastics

RIYbVMJ.jpg

Thats about it for now, I've got more to follow of course, I like to stay busy 🤪

Last edited:
Nothing but admiration for all your skill and work you've done and the attention to detail, you've changed an average to nice looking SL into a very desirable motor car, but please oh please change the front grill! IMHO it 's far too 'Barry from Halfords' and lets down the whole appeal of the vehicle .
(just my opinion and totally understand do what you want to your car etc - some people would hate the mods I've done to mine!) That aside, please keep the mods/posts coming, it's great to see and we all luv 'em!

Matt :thumb:

I do agree with Matt and go with a OEM front grill. I also agree with Matt on the amazing work you have done especially with only a jack and a couple of axle stands :oops:

I have very much enjoyed your posts, it's what makes this Forum very special :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom