My SL55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think your car is shaping up very nicely. Where did you get the chin spoiler from?

These are the kind of threads I enjoy. An enthusiast making a good car even better.
Great work so far. Looking forward to seeing those wheels on the car.

Thanks mate, im still anxiously waiting for the remaining 2 wheels. 2 are apparently in London, 1 still in San Francisco! Its affecting my sleep I tell ya 😂

I think your car is shaping up very nicely. Where did you get the chin spoiler from?

Cheers, I ordered it from Ebay and it came in from Taiwan. Fitment wasn't too bad to be honest, i did take the bumper off to fit it though and with some 3M tape and a number of M6 nuts & bolts it'll be properly on there.

I agree 👍 and it is unbelievable that all the work is being done outside.

how easy were the paddles to fit?

I agree 👍 and it is unbelievable that all the work is being done outside.

how easy were the paddles to fit?

cheers.

paddles were easy to fit, a bit fiddly and some delicate bits of plastic involved but if your careful it’s an easy job.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Love the Splitter not keen on the new grill :( Black would look better to match the mesh panels :)

Love the Splitter not keen on the new grill :( Black would look better to match the mesh panels :)

I find black hides alot of the details and felt the silver & chrome would tie in with the headlights and I think it lifts the front end quite alot.

Managed to fit the rear spoiler this morning, balances out the front nicely :cool:

bDMw92q.jpg

vjwy2l5.jpg

5mlhUKe.jpg

Still no sign of the 3 elusive wheels 😫 Im starting to think it'll be a miracle if I end up with 4 of them! I just wish there was some way of calling a human being but nope! whats the world coming too. EDIT - 2 of the missing 3 are now with Parcelfarce, phew! the last one is still in San Francisco, i expect this will be lost, it hasn't updated for over a week and last destination was the San Francisco airport 😓

Next job is to fit the carbon rear diffuser thingie, what a ball ache to get the rear bumper off 😲

Last edited:
Great job you're doing there! Saw your RX out and about a couple of times (live locally) - really looked the part. There was an SL55 in Chromoflair for sale in Manchester fairly recently - is your's that one?

I like the grill in silver - I see they're available in various styles on ebay. One of the cars I looked at had that same one, I liked the look, but when I saw the car the whole grill was loose and the star was held in place with a bit of blue tack. Does yours seem decent quality?

I was also put off that particular car because the under-engine tray fell off during the test drive. So I may be misjudging the grill!

ps glad you like the Pure Highway thing.

Great job you're doing there! Saw your RX out and about a couple of times (live locally) - really looked the part. There was an SL55 in Chromoflair for sale in Manchester fairly recently - is your's that one?

The RX7 was awesome, but very temperamental, glad i've owned one as the ****el engine is very unique and sounds incredible at full chat. Yes this is the Manchester car :thumb: if your passing by you'll usually see me pottering / tinkering on the cars come say hello.

I like the grill in silver - I see they're available in various styles on ebay. One of the cars I looked at had that same one, I liked the look, but when I saw the car the whole grill was loose and the star was held in place with a bit of blue tack. Does yours seem decent quality?

I was also put off that particular car because the under-engine tray fell off during the test drive. So I may be misjudging the grill!

ps glad you like the Pure Highway thing.

The grill is a bit shite to be honest, I like the look and style but the fitment is crap but its more secure than the original one which was literally just sat there hooked on to the top of the bumper with no bolt holes left to secure it! This one is off ebay and I cant really recommend it, I think i will have to look into the OEM version of this one but expect itll be expensive. I'll stick with it for the meantime though.

Pure highway is decent, happy with it, still waiting on the usb charger sockets for the glovebox to finish it off though.

Still contemplating trimming all the roof and pillar trims, not sure what i would do with the plastics around the rear view mirror, maps lights, sun visors though, they're all light grey so would look odd left alone.

Managed to do some more today whilst the mini me was at school and im confined to my property as the app on my phone has told me so :rolleyes:

I paid for a trimmer to remake my gear gaiter in black alcantara which arrived today.

0aOTZZu.jpg

I thought he might have actually attached it to the frame for me since he was paid for the job, never the less I set too and glued it together.

Bl4InnC.jpg

You might think the small amount of yellow stitching was an odd choice but it will tie in eventually i promise, there is a small difference in the colour of the gear gaiter and the Milano product I used to trim the panels but I can live with that. Anyway promptly fitted it, it looks alot more cohesive than the original grey leather gaiter. You can also see my Pure Highway control mounted to the air vent, I didn't like the idea of the stick on mount slapped on the dash, so broke out the CAD and designed a mount for it which i then 3D printed. Worked out quite well me thinks, although im not 100% sold on the location of the unit just yet so this might change.

RiZbF8l.jpg

TFq6rtn.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I will avoid Shite Grill.

Re the roof-liner trimming in dark alcantara - I was thinking the same about the light grey rear view mirror etc. So I was thinking I'd try and find a black SL from a breakers and just buy that front section of the roof interior - ie black plastic sun visors etc rather than light grey. Though I don't actually know if the black cars have a black interior, do they? Also my experience buying stuff from breakers has been terrible, eg them showing me a picture of a pristine silver keyless-go door handle then sending me a broken black non-keyless-go door handle. I'll let you blaze a trail on the roof trim and follow sheepishly behind.

I stuck my Highway thing to the dash, kind of wish I hadn't but I think it should come off without damage. Though I also think you might as well just leave it in the centre console for the occasional time you want to change it to something other than Radio 4. I might even try and mount it in there á la velcro.

The RX7 was awesome, but very temperamental, glad i've owned one as the ****el engine is very unique and sounds incredible at full chat. Yes this is the Manchester car :thumb: if your passing by you'll usually see me pottering / tinkering on the cars come say hello.

The grill is a bit shite to be honest, I like the look and style but the fitment is crap but its more secure than the original one which was literally just sat there hooked on to the top of the bumper with no bolt holes left to secure it! This one is off ebay and I cant really recommend it, I think i will have to look into the OEM version of this one but expect itll be expensive. I'll stick with it for the meantime though.

Pure highway is decent, happy with it, still waiting on the usb charger sockets for the glovebox to finish it off though.

Still contemplating trimming all the roof and pillar trims, not sure what i would do with the plastics around the rear view mirror, maps lights, sun visors though, they're all light grey so would look odd left alone.
There isn't an OEM grill like that to fit an R230 SL. Where did you buy the aftermarket one from, mine came from Bentley Grilles on ebay. Not bad quality but still not as good as an OEM would be if there was one, which there isn't. :(

Great stuff, and you don’t hang about!

I’ve got a black interior in mine if you need any info.

where are the cables for the Pure unit? it looks a clean install like that. I’ve got my phone in a cradle that uses the CD slot so it’s a bit lower down.

Thanks, I will avoid Shite Grill.

Re the roof-liner trimming in dark alcantara - I was thinking the same about the light grey rear view mirror etc. So I was thinking I'd try and find a black SL from a breakers and just buy that front section of the roof interior - ie black plastic sun visors etc rather than light grey. Though I don't actually know if the black cars have a black interior, do they? Also my experience buying stuff from breakers has been terrible, eg them showing me a picture of a pristine silver keyless-go door handle then sending me a broken black non-keyless-go door handle. I'll let you blaze a trail on the roof trim and follow sheepishly behind.

I stuck my Highway thing to the dash, kind of wish I hadn't but I think it should come off without damage. Though I also think you might as well just leave it in the centre console for the occasional time you want to change it to something other than Radio 4. I might even try and mount it in there á la velcro.

Yeah avoid, its crap. There are grills similar but theyre all for facelift models from what I can gleen. I have the Mercedes EPC system and its not the most intuitive to navigate so can't figure out what part numbers fit which R230 cars. Take this for example:-

I think that will fit a facelift model, which is essentially the same grill I have but OEM but not for my model year or is it :dk:

Breakers are dodgey ground if you ask me and I've never had a positive outcome previously and I've no idea if any cars got a black pleather finsh for there roof plastics / vinyls. It's not impossible to trim most of those items but it'd be fiddly, the little brackets impossible and a monumental pain in the **** getting it all apart without breaking the thousands of plastic clips. There must be a way of colouring those plastics black surely.

There isn't an OEM grill like that to fit an R230 SL. Where did you buy the aftermarket one from, mine came from Bentley Grilles on ebay. Not bad quality but still not as good as an OEM would be if there was one, which there isn't. :(

Purchased from ebay from the far east and im not happy with the fit, its weird because its a molded ABS part so should be accurately produced but the mould must be way off, so the link above would be for a facelift R230 then?

Great stuff, and you don’t hang about!

I’ve got a black interior in mine if you need any info.

where are the cables for the Pure unit? it looks a clean install like that. I’ve got my phone in a cradle that uses the CD slot so it’s a bit lower down.

Im on self isolation for 14 days following 2 weeks leave from work so I've had plenty of time to play, the NHS track & trace app told me to isolate 2 days before going back to work 😜

So is your rear view mirror plastic casing black? and the map lights etc that surrond it on the roof, all black plastics?

Cables all run down the A pillar on the passanger side, microphone cable runs inside the roof trim. The USB power and AUX cable drop into the glovebox through a hole I haven't drilled yet and connect to a USB charging socket I haven't recevied. I'll post some pics when its all done :thumb:

Purchased from ebay from the far east and im not happy with the fit, its weird because its a molded ABS part so should be accurately produced but the mould must be way off, so the link above would be for a facelift R230 then?
The part number appears to be for an R231 SL.

Not sure if you have these sites, useful for part numbers.....

lovely that.

Thanks mate :thumb:

I finally got my hands on all 4 wheels :rock: So i wasted no time getting the tyres mounted and chucked on. The car desperately needs a clean as do the wheels and tyres because of the tyre soap. But im well chuffed with the outcome, fitment is perfect its screaming out to be lowered but massive improvement :banana:

DGJBqtL.jpg

You might notice the spoiler is missing, the tape supplied didn't hold it down for long so I'll be using some PU adhesive to fix it on for good shortly.

Quick clean and wax tomorrow morning 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom