My steering wheel needs a clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nat

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55, 911t, 3dr Cosworth, MT 10.
The steering wheel itself isn't too bad but the part where the controls are for the radio, menu's, etc are caked in crud of some sort - W164 ML. I tried wiping it with warm soapy water using some heavy duty kitchen type towels and all it's done is made it hard to wipe and the towel breaks up and sticks to it.

What have you used in the past that's worked?

Baby wipes are good but they are only water, be careful, the black part is paint on translucent plastic and can rub off. I used medical 2% alcohol wipes, cheap on the bay.

I have cleaned mine in the past with a Magic Eraser, and had fantastic results.
Just be careful not to overdo it.

Try some Gtechniq I2 tri-clean on a microfibre, should come up like new.
Magic (melamine) sponges are ever so slightly abrasive on their own so you should always look to lubricate the sponge surface with an all purpose cleaner or similar liquid.

cheers

Chris

Diluted G101 on a cloth or sprayed and brushed around works for me

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what my local auto factors has got in stock.

Initially tried a wet wipe but all that seemed to do was move the crud around but it's still hard to lift it off the surface. I'm shocked I put up with it for so long as I bought it 6 months ago :eek:

Someone suggested white vinegar.

The rubberised coating hasn’t gone soft and sticky has it?
If so there is nothing that can be done except remove and redo it.

The coating looks ok on the part I've cleaned.

I can't believe the dirt that came of the steering wheel itself. My patience was slowly running out so I done the CLS and CLK and they came up nice more or less instantly. I'll have another go at it today when the rain stops.

I’d agree baby wipes, also good for leather and seatbelts etc - but if the dirt is tacky/sticky maybe try a damp microfibre cloth with a tiny amount of fairy liquid. Just a drop in a bucket of warm water :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom