Nearly had a head on smash on the A505

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They would certainly have come off worst .

If a head on collision was going to be unavoidable, I’d be looking at options like going into a field ... any escape route is preferable.

In my crash I had my near side wheels on the grass verge once I’d braked off as much speed as I could on the tarmac , but still couldn’t completely avoid the car , perhaps going through the hedge and into the field might have been better , but with only seconds to think one largely acts on instinct ; in my case brake hard then swerve left at the last moment , whilst still trying to retain some control .

I couldn't risk the verge as I was still braking at max when he passed me. God knows what would have happened if I'd tried that.

Reactions: 219
I couldn't risk the verge as I was still braking at max when he passed me. God knows what would have happened if I'd tried that.
It would be interesting to see how a car equipped with ABS , ESP etc would behave if braked hard onto an uneven surface .

Alas , my W115 had no such electronic aids .

It would be interesting to see how a car equipped with ABS , ESP etc would behave if braked hard onto an uneven surface .

Alas , my W115 had no such electronic aids .

I guess, in ideal conditions, the car would have pulled up in a straight line albeit more slowly.

But the verge here was very rough and then fell away quite steeply into the fields below.

I didn't fancy my chances.

Completely agree about dash cams, I've got a good one on the screen, but difficult to fit a rear one in a convertible ---- unless someone knows better ? That really was a miraculous escape, congratulations on your skill, you can be proud of that.
I've seen one (Nextbase I think) that has a rearview lens on the front camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen one (Nextbase I think) that has a rearview lens on the front camera.
Yes , the Nextbase Duo HD . That’s the one I have , it works really well . There was an older non HD one , and there may be a newer one now . The camera can record GPS data , speed , location etc as well as the two video streams . There is an app for your computer or mobile device . You can either download over WiFi or remove the SD car

The front facing lens has a wide field of view and the rear one a longer focal length .

It hides up behind the RVM , the rear facing lens protrudes just beyond the mirror but still out of sight from the driving seat .

Additional bases are readily available so it is easy to take from one car to another .

Last edited:
But Falkens aren't in that category. They do well in tests against the better known brands - I took a long hard look as I was not initially convinced myself.

They are good tyres. I've driven them hard for long distances in all sorts of conditions.

My local tyre shop does a lot of Porsche and AMG and the guy swears by Falkens, they are the main brand that he does. He reluctantly agreed to my request for Goodyear after a good debate about the relative merits! The Goodyear were rated quieter which was the only reason I still went for them.

My local tyre shop does a lot of Porsche and AMG and the guy swears by Falkens, they are the main brand that he does. He reluctantly agreed to my request for Goodyear after a good debate about the relative merits! The Goodyear were rated quieter which was the only reason I still went for them.

Same here.

The reason I first started going there in the first place was that the (top-end) indy I used at the time sent all their work cars there and all their personal ones too.

They do all sorts of work in the trade.

Three years ago I was in there getting 18's for my new rims and the guy said what do you want? I said I dunno - maybe Goodyears or Conti's. He told me to look at Falkens. I did and am very happy with them.

I had Falkens put on the wife’s Mini Cooper, shocking experience in damp condition, has put me off them.

Yes , the Nextbase Duo HD . That’s the one I have , it works really well . There was an older non HD one , and there may be a newer one now . The camera can record GPS data , speed , location etc as well as the two video streams . There is an app for your computer or mobile device . You can either download over WiFi or remove the SD car

The front facing lens has a wide field of view and the rear one a longer focal length .

It hides up behind the RVM , the rear facing lens protrudes just beyond the mirror but still out of sight from the driving seat .

Additional bases are readily available so it is easy to take from one car to another .

Be ideal for the SL. I'll just have to check if it can see past the passenger headrest!

Be ideal for the SL. I'll just have to check if it can see past the passenger headrest!
It did in my R129 : that was why I bought it .

You can buy additional mounts on eBay so it can be slid off and taken from one car to another .

Here are a few pics

Not so clear through the glass

A897AE1A-90B2-4E16-99FC-C179DC78BF82.jpeg

From the drivers seat , completely hidden

51FBAE3A-D936-4D10-BF85-2C6571A5F539.jpeg

From below

4CCA5040-398D-4571-8255-8282D1E82CCB.jpegE7AAD624-61F2-4788-B900-ABEF3CD0D6DA.jpeg6E96F86D-36D9-45B9-A50B-7D9B98E9F387.jpeg

It slides easily off the mount if parking with the roof open

838E8D75-6E7D-4E18-9EE3-0098EDCBD1DF.jpeg

The adhesive pad will stick over the fritted area , unlike the suction mount . Extra pads can also be bought on eBay

5186DB04-5879-4EC2-B929-1B3DAD1AC127.jpeg

I also , just this week , got an original MB telephone console from Mercman.net , on their eBay shop - these are new old stock and they have others for R129 , W220 , W124 plus a few others . Bit of a pig to fit but excellent once installed - very secure .

F615037E-9CE9-4AF7-9F3D-34DD06E4BF48.jpeg

Last edited:
I had Falkens put on the wife’s Mini Cooper, shocking experience in damp condition, has put me off them.

The ones I have on my car seem fine in the wet. Try as I might I can barely get the traction light to flicker at all. On my second set now.

I've been to France three times with them on plus numerous trips to the likes of Wiltshire, Norfolk & Oxfordshire in all manner of weather. Often loaded to the gunwales and in a hurry.

Many tyre shops will have a preferred brand, some may be personal preference based upon experience, although others will have a financial incentive.

I buy quite a lot of tyres and generally split my business between the local tyre fitter and directly with Pirelli UK. I’ve used the local fitter for many years and will continue to do so because I like him and it’s handy having a fitter on the doorstep. Pirelli are incredible though, beautiful workshop, incredible technology and great facilities (eg tyre hotel).

However many years ago the local tyre fitter tried to get me to buy Hankooks but he was never too pushy and fitted what I wanted. I get on well with him though and he was honest enough to say that he gets an additional incentive when he sells Hankook tyres, but added that he genuinely rated them as tyres and knew that they were a great tyre for his average customer, ie those who don’t want rubbish, and don’t want to pay through the nose, hence choosing to favour Hankook tyres because he believed that they consistently offered good quality at a reasonable price.

That was many years ago and with the disruption of buying tyres online it may have changed this type of arrangement. If I remember right, a good indicator of where there’s an incentive in place was if the “branding” banners on the walls is pretty much all the same, as there were some “rules” to comply with. Surprise surprise my guy has Hankook everywhere except the inflation chart which always used to be Michelin!

Many tyre shops will have a preferred brand, some may be personal preference based upon experience, although others will have a financial incentive.

I buy quite a lot of tyres and generally split my business between the local tyre fitter and directly with Pirelli UK. I’ve used the local fitter for many years and will continue to do so because I like him and it’s handy having a fitter on the doorstep. Pirelli are incredible though, beautiful workshop, incredible technology and great facilities (eg tyre hotel).

However many years ago the local tyre fitter tried to get me to buy Hankooks but he was never too pushy and fitted what I wanted. I get on well with him though and he was honest enough to say that he gets an additional incentive when he sells Hankook tyres, but added that he genuinely rated them as tyres and knew that they were a great tyre for his average customer, ie those who don’t want rubbish, and don’t want to pay through the nose, hence choosing to favour Hankook tyres because he believed that they consistently offered good quality at a reasonable price.

That was many years ago and with the disruption of buying tyres online it may have changed this type of arrangement. If I remember right, a good indicator of where there’s an incentive in place was if the “branding” banners on the walls is pretty much all the same, as there were some “rules” to comply with. Surprise surprise my guy has Hankook everywhere except the inflation chart which always used to be Michelin!
Yep , never had Hancooks, but I have had Falkens and Bridgestones , both of which I view much the same way .

Yep , never had Hancooks, but I have had Falkens and Bridgestones , both of which I view much the same way .
It’s been a while, but I believe my fitter mentioned that those two operated a similar set up - it was an effective way of improving market share, as the average customer didn’t know their brands, they only knew the big premium brands but didn’t want to pay big premium brand prices. As you say they all offer good tyres for a reasonable price.

Oh yeah I have absolutely no doubt that my fitter will profit from pushing Falkens.

But over the years I've bought loads of tyres from him and one thing he never does is try to sell me the most expensive option.

He no doubt gets significant volume discounts and I know for a fact he can retail tyres at less that than the wholesale cost available to the indy I go to a couple of doors down.

But I don't mind if it financially suits both of us. Plus his fitters are top drawer. Hence why the trade use him so much.

Oh yeah I have absolutely no doubt that my fitter will profit from pushing Falkens.

But over the years I've bought loads of tyres from him and one thing he never does is try to sell me the most expensive option.

He no doubt gets significant volume discounts and I know for a fact he can retail tyres at less that than the wholesale cost available to the indy I go to a couple of doors down.

But I don't mind if it financially suits both of us. Plus his fitters are top drawer. Hence why the trade use him so much.
I agree. Sounds like my local guy. I want them to be successful, as long as they recommend the “right” tyre rather than push “any” tyre from “that” brand, then I have no qualms in them being rewarded 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom