New G Class - Completely new Model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
2019-mercedes-g-class-leaked-official-image.jpg

And before everyone moans 'its the same car' - its not, its completely new model with the most obvious thing being its a hell of a lot wider (the current G Class is extremely narrow).

Slightly more aerodynamic with, what looks like a larger bonded windscreen?

They've nailed it if the brief was to make it look exactly the same. Probably not far from the truth!

It has a new front suspension [independent??] and rack and pinion steering but still retains the separate chassis/body construction. Safety has improved with several new features and might explain the greater width --side impact resistance?? That said I wonder if Mercedes will subject this new model to crash testing by Euro Ncap ,NHTSA, or the IIHS this time around . ;) They always maintained it was a "commercial vehicle" and thus didn't have to undergo such testing.:rolleyes:

That looks superb, delighted they kept it so similar looking. Would love to own one one day. Nearly bought an old drug dealer edition for the flat in Copenhagen last year.

Wonder if it’s any lighter? And the handling has improved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Makes extensive use of aluminium for body parts a bit like the original Land Rover [ reputedly because immediately post WW2 there was a scarcity of steel] The new G-Class has adopted a completely fresh design and a contemporary aluminium construction. The move, Mercedes officials say, helps contribute to a 160kg reduction in kerb weight over today’s mostly steel-bodied model while providing a 30% increase in torsional rigidity.
2018 Mercedes-Benz G-Class leaks ahead of Detroit motor show debut | Autocar

I imagine the new independent front suspension will be lifted from the M class design- maybe another reason for the car having to be wider?
0 to 62mph. OFFICIAL.: 2011 All-New Mercedes M-Class (Part 5/6): The Chassis: Adaptable to All Situations
2012-all-new-mercedes-ml-w-166-testing-mechanics-512.jpg

Last edited:
I like it! Im glad it looks the same... Some of the renderings of the new design looked really strange. Probably drawn by the same guy who did the new Discovery.

I like it! Im glad it looks the same... Some of the renderings of the new design looked really strange. Probably drawn by the same guy who did the new Discovery.

He needs shot, killed a brand. I know the local dealer, sales down and big discounts, he’s never seen this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Now that is a very nice new car. The design was never gonna be a radical departure from the existing model and the front headlights could have actually been smaller opposed to bigger.. but i love the exterior.

The interior on the other hand really makes it look quite cheap IMHO.

Lots of praise on various sites for the interior, but i dont agree.

The front grille could have been worked a bit better i feel, as the three bars for some reason dont look fitting around the star.

All in all, i think they have done well to retain so much character.

Happy New Year all.

Will be driving it in Ibiza in either Feb or April. I’m so impressed with how similar they have managed to make in look to the current model. It’s exactly what was needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's gorgeous. What a stunning car! I would love one.

Even better, it’s available in brilliant blue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a Tonka Toy to me, stuffed with bits from the rest of the Mercedes range. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :rolleyes:

I understand utilitarian and I understand expensive, however, I don't really get the concept of the two in combination.

you have to try one to know. Its like a tank for daily use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom