New member with £650 W140!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well the old girl made it back to my Dutch house with me - she is now recovering on the driveway :hehe:

I have put my new GB plates on with plastic frames - smartens her up somewhat I think :)

P8160285.jpg

P8160289.jpg

I made a first effort with the clay bar and wax/polish yesterday and im quite chuffed with the results, the boot was by far the worst panel, the amount of crap that came off on to the clay bar was incredible. Using intensive tar remover ive also managed to remove large amounts of the white scrape on the rear bumper so that its now much less noticeable.

Up close the bonnet is obviously still quite swirled and pitted in places, but from a distance its got a certain sparkle.

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

The cause of the inop A/C is the refrigerant pressure sensor, so a 2nd hand one has been ordered from w140.co.uk. Hopefully I might have cold air again this time next week - I wish I had it now as its currently 27c outside!!

So today I have almost doubled the value of the car - well that's a slight exaggeration but I have had €350 of winter tyres fitted - the summers were on the wear markers so it made sense to change now before the retailers start gouging the prices come the snow.

P9280305.jpg

Whilst the wheels were off we had the opportunity to look at a few things:

1. Noise from the front - for all the world this sounds like a ball joint but there was zero lateral or vertical movement in the wheel and all the bushes look either perfect (new) or in decent to very good condition. So im chuffed in a way but still puzzled as to what it might be......?

2. The car sits slightly lower on the rear right than left - both the springs look in very good condition so it just needs a 'pad' in the top of the strut which is not something im bothered about doing.

To be honest I was pretty chuffed with the overall condition of everything on the underside - exhaust and CATS look completely solid. Although there is rust on the wings theres no rot at all on the underside and the bushes, brakes, and everything else looks decent. The only thing I noticed was that the rear pads will need changing before the next MOT.

Quite chuffed over all. Car is now coming up to 127k miles and apart from the new tyres hasnt cost me anything yet :) (touches wood) !!

Last edited:
To be honest I was pretty chuffed with the overall condition of everything on the underside - exhaust and CATS look completely solid. Although there is rust on the wings theres no rot at all on the underside and the bushes, brakes, and everything else looks decent. The only thing I noticed was that the rear pads will need changing before the next MOT.

Quite chuffed over all. Car is now coming up to 127k miles and apart from the new tyres hasnt cost me anything yet (touches wood) !!

Feels good doesn't it :)

OK, so the dastardly deed is done...... :hehe:

I fully appreciate that I am now driving a mobile cliché; old Merc with rusty arches and chromed trims and it wont be to the taste of most, well in fact its not to my taste either but I DO prefer them to rust/blemishes and scrapes.

They are from a German manufacturer and have probably been sitting on the shelf at CKS performance for a very long time as the packaging looks distinctly 1990s! However, they are very well made and of good quality :) They were shipped yesterday at 2pm from London and arrived with me here close to Roermond by midday - good going DHL!

PA120320.jpg

They fixed to the car extremely easily and snuggly once I had figured the trim clips out and fitting took 20mins including getting the car in to the dry garage for mounting.

Not very good pics as the weather here is absolutely foul, but I am happier with them on than off I think, so they can stay for now.

PA120321.jpg

PA120322.jpg

PA120323.jpg

PA120324.jpg

PA120325.jpg

PA120326.jpg

They have covered almost all the rust that was visible apart from the hole on the drivers wing so I am pleased with the result.

You may also notice that the front bumper is sitting slightly lower than it should - thanks to an altercation with a high kerb yesterday at work. Its pulled the pumper down and forwards slightly on its mounts; a shame but one of the main reasons I like smoking around in cheap cars is that I dont have to fix it.

What brand of winter tyre did you have fitted?

Nankang Winter Plus SV-1 in 235/60/16 flavour. Very happy with them so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom