New Seatbelt Jammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Edwards

Car
'05 CLK 320 C209
Bought a new seat belt on eBay but it appears to be stuck in the fully retracted position. Any suggestions how to release the locking mechanism?

There is no movement available to wind it back in to release the lock in the normal way.

PTFE spray didnt work on the one in the car then Mike ?

I bought this from eBay just in case as I doubt the rear one in the car will be fixable.

Got the correct Dry Lubricant w/PTFE today so will try it over the weekend.

Stumped by this new seatbelt though. I just can't seem to free it to extend the belt.

Hold it in the normal position and give the casing a whack with a blunt instrument.

Seatbelts use a pendulum to lock the reel, it will be stuck due to being in all directions while in transit.

Have you already fitted the belt or are you trying to extend the belt while its off the car?

Hold it in the normal position and give the casing a whack with a blunt instrument.

Seatbelts use a pendulum to lock the reel, it will be stuck due to being in all directions while in transit.

Doh! Beat me to it ;)

I bought this from eBay just in case as I doubt the rear one in the car will be fixable.

Got the correct Dry Lubricant w/PTFE today so will try it over the weekend.

Stumped by this new seatbelt though. I just can't seem to free it to extend the belt.

You really do not want to be using any kind of lubricant any where near the belt, during an impact event the belt tensioning against itself on the reel is carefully calculated to enable the correct amount of stretch. You could end up letting the belt stretch too far.

Not put it on the car yet. Was trying to extend it before I stripped half the panels and seats off the car only to then find it doesn't work.

Not put it on the car yet. Was trying to extend it before I stripped half the panels and seats off the car only to then find it doesn't work.

In that case it will only extend if held in the orientation as it is fitted n the vehicle, belt reels have a 'gravity' lockup usually, hence why it is sometimes difficult to extend a belt in vehicle if the car is parked on a steep incline or angle.

It's basically to ensure the belt locks during a soft rollover when the impact is not enough to operate the inertia locking.

I should also add when you think you have the belt in the correct orientation it can take several attempts to free the reel, try very small gentle pulls on the belt rather than heaving on it, that'll just operate the locking mechanism.

David the intention of using a light dry PTFE spray is to restore the movement of belt fabric against itself thus alowing retraction. It should simply return the belt to its original design parameters and not cause the fabric to stretch. The lock up process would be unaffected as it is mechanical.
You are right to make the point though.

David the intention of using a light dry PTFE spray is to restore the movement of belt fabric against itself thus alowing retraction. It should simply return the belt to its original design parameters and not cause the fabric to stretch. The lock up process would be unaffected as it is mechanical.
You are right to make the point though.

Richard, It's not the spray that will make the material of the belt stretch, that is very durable, but the belt material is designed to have friction against itself when on the reel so that when the mechanical reel locks the belt material will stretch, the amount of stretch is carefully calculated, any form of lubricant on the belt surface could enable the belt to stretch further as it changes the friction coefficient of the belt material. It won't stretch much but even if it means your 2 or 3 inches closer to the airbag when it deploys you'll certainly notice it :crazy:

I know it sounds pedantic and maybe a bit daft but I spent a very long time filming high speed crash events and the difference when analysing g-forces between different parameters is frightening.

It's also why I get so worked up when I see (usually a woman) drivers sitting so close the the steering wheel and not in the correct position......

I should also add when you think you have the belt in the correct orientation it can take several attempts to free the reel, try very small gentle pulls on the belt rather than heaving on it, that'll just operate the locking mechanism.

Doesn't seem to matter which orientation or the type of pressure I apply to the belt. It just doesn't want to free itself.

Mike, sorry to hear that, the belt should have been shipped with some of the belt 'free' of the reel by some means of packing to enable the belt to retract slightly to enable he pawl to disengage and allow then the belt to be deployed. If there is no free play whatsoever then it's going to be almost impossible to free the belt.......in this case you could try slight impact as DM said but its going to be trial and error I am afraid.

If still no luck then it could be that's its just another ebay star buy!:dk:

If it were mine I wouldn't want to fit it, even if I got it moving freely - a dodgy seat belt isn't a good idea.

It's not dodgy, it's doing what it's meant to do...lock the reel.

As said, it should have had some belt slack to allow the reel to retract a little.

Without wishing to criticise, this is what is wrong on this forum now, people that don't understand, making scaremongering comments.

@DM, depending upon who the supplier was on ebay there is a possibility that the seat belt is indeed not working correctly, if the OP can get the belt to release and then operate freely as it is designed to do so then fitting it should pose no problem but if when the OP can get the belt free, then if it still operates erratically I would tend to regard the belt with a certain amount of caution. This decision can only be made by the OP of course.

It certainly sounds as if the belt is working correctly but ultimately it is never too difficult to get a belt reel to release when locked, this belt seems particularly recalcitrant.

This may help with the correct orientation whilst trying to release it.
Diagram is of the L/H side rear belt.

clk320209_zps33547cbb.jpg

Last edited:
Without wishing to criticise, this is what is wrong on this forum now, people that don't understand, making scaremongering comments.

It's a safety critical item, bought off ebay, that well known supplier of pattern parts and copies.

It doesn't work and you want the op to whack it with a blunt instrument, which even if it fixes it temporarily, doesn't mean it's fit for purpose. :doh:.

Who doesn't understand?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom