New York says No to C Charge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Clearly the Americans have more sense than us...good for them.

Congestion charging hurts the poorest people, hinders business, and is unfair. People pay VED for their freedom to move about by car, congestion charging in my view, oppresses this freedom by pricing people out.

Last edited:
However the Congestion charge aims to maintain the long term future of NYC. If congestion were to increase by 10 cars a day, you can going to have one massive problem 5 years down the line. And then the mayor can point his finger at the state and go "I told you so"

Its not as if we Londoners had a say in it at the time.

I will have MY say on 1st May.

If most londoners have had their say, it would never have been introduced. If it gets pulled, then it will be a land mark victory for the UK motorist, and it will spell the end for further c charges.

How, people will just pay, and it will still be congested, but you will be poorer.

Even Ken admitted C charging has had a minimal impact on congestion, but it costs a bomb to run, so doesn't raise as much revenue for London as you might think. Instead it just makes Londoners poorer.

Last edited:
How, people will just pay, and it will still be congested, but you will be poorer.

Even Ken admitted C charging has had a minimal impact on congestion, but it costs a bomb to run, so doesn't raise as much revenue for London as you might think. Instead it just makes Londoners poorer.

You do have a point :)

You already have to pay a toll to enter Manhatten its an island and only accessible by bridge or tunnel

at least the New Yorkers got to decide ...

at least the New Yorkers got to decide ...

I have been to the states and they could not believe how much everything over here costs, ontop of which, they tried controlling emissions once, if the car didn't meet the requirement they would have to pay $250 to have it put right, if they could show they paid $250 and it still failed they could go on regardless, consequence was the government abolished this practise.

Now,again, only this country puts up with the riddiculous daylight mugging the government continues to do through taxing and hair brain schemes that don't achieve their objective or anybody wants!

Hell, went on a bit there but that's how much I hate this country.:devil:

I hear the ex-policeman will introduce CC to the whole of Greater London. Well, he can **** right off. Boris gets my vote.

I hear the ex-policeman will introduce CC to the whole of Greater London. Well, he can **** right off. Boris gets my vote.

Sadly I don't think Boris will scrap it, which he should.

What is more worrying tho is that more people voted for the greens than the "scrap the congestion charge party". If it came to the vote, I believe it would be scrapped, and even the greens (lets buy into their carbon foot print cr4p) concede its done little to reduce CO2 + congestion.

The sad point is that the C charge isn't the money spinner for Ken as most think, it costs a small fortune to administer so funds raised from the C charge just go back into keeping it running, not raising cash for Ken to mispend. Therefore its just an inconvienence & major expense for the people who drive into London, (and given Kens left wing politics its a good thing for him).

But for the people of London it is of a) no fiscal benefit b) no congestion benefit c) no pollution benefit but is a major expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom