• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Nice looking 420SE

Moultoneer

Car
CLK320
Hi. I just introduced myself yesterday over on the appropriate thread so thought I highlight this car as one I've been watching.

Mercedes -Benz 420 SE | eBay

Looks nice, but don't they all in the pics? MOT history doesn't show anything major, looks like it may have been laid up for a few years and has had some routine expenditure recently. I've asked about leaks, (sun roof and rear window.)

On the face of it I'd suggest it looks like a £5000 car, (£4500-£5500). Right now, a little more than I'd care to risk so probably not for me.

Cheers, LG.

Yes looks lovely doesn't it, I haven't seen one looking that fresh "in the pictures" for ages.

Dodgy listing, dodgy photo background.

For such an expensive car, buy it from the owner's driveway, and judge the individual selling it by their ability to write a vaguely sensible description.

Harsh, maybe, but there are far better cars around.

For such an expensive car, buy it from the owner's driveway, and judge the individual selling it by their ability to write a vaguely sensible description.

It does look as though some of the photos are outside the sellers address.
It’s not really an expensive car.
I have an idea that English is not his first language.

True, the risk-averse will be put off, so it could well be a good buy. As said it's not dear.
At least he hasn't photographed in a posh street or outside some Country Estate, like many serial Ebay 'private sellers' do.

No chrome arches and big wing rust bubbles means it's worth a viewing for the serious buyer, IME.

judge the individual selling it by their ability to write a vaguely sensible description.

If that criteria were to be universally applied I would think that half of all adverts in the UK would be deemed suspect.

I never thought that it was a private sale.

The seller replied to my questions with the following, (perfect English aficionados might want to look away now,)

That Mercedes believe me doesn't have any leaks its really dry and free from any rust
My company done with it .
New brake all round
Inc discs .pads.sensors
Brake fluid change
Antifreeze change
Engine oil 10w40 Petronas with Mann filter
Air filter
New fuel pumps including filter(Bosch)
New transmission fluid including filter and sump gasket
Rear antirolbar links
New distributor cap and rotor arm
Ignition lids and spark plug
Brand new camshaft oilers
New rocker cover gasket
Air-conditioning filled with fresh Freon A134 (works perfect)
New idle speed control unit .
All electric work sunroof too
All invoices there
All tyres in very good condition
Not advisory on last MOT testing not need to investigate

Price has gone up recently so slipping away from me.

Brave man.

Yes, I’d be looking for a comfortably off seller who has had it satisfactorily for a few years, maintaining it through an annual service cycle, who’s now looking for a change, not simply trying to get away from a backlog of problems he’s not prepared to fix..

It might sound optimistic, but I’m sure those can be found.

But each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just bought a W126 and have to say that I don't think this one does look that nice in the listing.

However, it may well be better than it's advert suggests based on no real rust bubbles and a decent MOT history. Money has been spent and that is a good sign.

Adverts are only the beginning though, I ended up buying a car that I had dismissed initially from the advert, but the moment I turned up, before I got out of my car, I had "bought" it.

The problem is nowadays I don't have the time or inclination to travel the country to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Sounds like a well preserved laid up garage/barn find that has bee re-commissioned judging by all the things replaced/sorted. If its rust free its a rare find indeed. Lovely cars.

Reactions: SG1
Well you said you wanted a cruiser for the trips up north and this car may well do that job,but it will go for more than 4 grand I would buy the E280 we found on ebay a far better car all round but hey you are the one who wants to buy a car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom