• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Night vision - is there any point?

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
Bemused by the Night Vision feature on my W221.

I can't see the point of it. It doesn't give me anything better than my eyes can see.

Am I missing something?

Not really, but you can (but don't please) switch lights off and still see in the dark, well at least you could on my friends car.

It did seem a pointless option though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The one I used (albeit not MB) made seeing animate vs inanimate objects clearer.

Maybe a benefit in fog but not tried that.

I think the clarity is much better than your eyesight however it would have been much more logical the place the camera above the drivers head rather than in front of the rear view mirror. The view you see on the screen is not your normal driving view, a bit confusing

Technology moves on and as marketing ploys great is made of this bit of technology or that. Prime example is the smartphone or laptop, how many of us really use all of the bits of technology that they offer.

Last edited:
Bemused by the Night Vision feature on my W221.

In the CL63 I had, the dashboard converted to the Night Vision Screen, therefore placed very well for the driver to see.

Be interesting to see if the new E-Class does the same, which makes it a more useful location.

And yes, in Fog it does make things a little better (not much) but to spot an animal at night, in poor visibility through country roads was helpful.

So used to drive with it on all the time at night (as it was directly in front of me).

Also on a high end car, the more toys the better when coming to resale

Ordered a W222 without it. There's plenty of more useful options for the money IMO, eg HUD, Driving Assistance package, etc.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The other day in the dark, I encountered a cyclist, wearing dark clothes, on a black bike with no lights or reflector strips. I could hardly see it coming in from the edge, and outside of my main headlamp coverage. Would the night vision see on the edge items or is the coverage similar to the headlamps, in which case you won't see it either.

The other day in the dark, I encountered a cyclist, wearing dark clothes, on a black bike with no lights or reflector strips. I could hardly see it coming in from the edge, and outside of my main headlamp coverage. Would the night vision see on the edge items or is the coverage similar to the headlamps, in which case you won't see it either.

A scenario where the W221 Night View Assist is useful. But on the W222 the cyclist is visible from high beams even when there is facing traffic or a car ahead (high beams switched off from sectors where other cars drive).

Then again, the W222 has Night View enhancements, the display automatically comes on when it detects certain objects. No need to watch the display frequently. I still agree with gr1nch, there are many other features that are much more useful, all depends on the budget. On the W221 Night View was more of a must because the feature was introduced there (more "show off value").

I had NightVision put onto an S212 350 CDi, but it shows up in the main navigation screen, so you need to be forever looking down and sideways at screen to get any benefit - at which time of course you can't be looking straight ahead at the road. On the W221 (which also has NV fitted), where the image appears directly in front of the driver, I expect it to be better - and I have certainly been done down some country roads where it is beneficial. Having said which, I would not deliberately choose to install it again.

At least the adaptive intelligent LED system works well enough, punching through the darkness of country roads with effortless ease.

Dipped beam appears to be less bright and more challenging in urban dark rain situations.

Yes there is a point.... The Cannonball Run (1981)... the Japanese team.... ;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom