• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Nokia 6230i Contacts in COMAND

w124coupe

I have received a 6230i phone from work and fitted it via the correct cradle into my W211 Comand system.
I have all my contacts in Outlook from where both the Blackberry and the 6230i synchronise making everything integrated and easy....
It all works EXCEPT only one number per contact gets loaded into Comand. I absolutely don't want to have to create one contact per number as we have hundreds of contacts active.
Is there a way round this or is it a "feature" (as well as a damn nuisance!).

Anybody?

The dealer says "Nokia problem" (as I thought they would) whereas the manual indicates Comand should show one entry per number.

Does anyone have a current model phone where multiple numbers per contact works with Comand?

AFAIK you can only have one number per contact, this is in the original specification for a mobile phone SIM.

You can only have one number per contact on the SIM.

If you have multiple numbers per contact on your phone, then these are stored on the phone's memory (ME memory) and not on the SIM card. I suggest you copy all your contacts to SIM (I believe all Nokias have this Option) this way you'll get one number per contact (however, your contact names will be repeated).

What I do is set my phone to display contacts from phone memory only (not sim) and copy all the phone contacts to the SIM - which creates entries such as 'Richard', "Richard1", "Richard2" where Richard had 3 phone numbers ..

Theres also a problem on the older cars (D2B and CD COMAND, with UHI) where you don't get all the phone memory contacts - thats because old COMAND / UHI reserves has 250 memory locations, and it reserves the same amount as the SIM can hold (normally 200 on current sims) for SIM memories, thus leaving only 50 for phone memory contacts - and then it picks 50 seemingly random contacts from the phone memory ...

- which is why I started doing 'copy to sim' in the first place ...

Also, the bluetooth cradles only load from the SIM - the instruction manual tells you how to load the phone memory into the comand phonebook (by dialing 0000), but that doesnt work on my 6230i - just causes the bluetooth connection to be reset.

So, it seems to me that the only thing that really works in all the generations of the MB phone kits is to use the SIM memory :-(

Shame, because I looked at a friends BMW bluetooth the other day, and it just works - supports multiple handsets (only one at a time though) and loads the whole phonebook perfectly .. why can't MB get this right ?? After all they get the phone manafacturers to build the stuff in anycase - BMW bluetooth is done by Motorola, and so is Mercedes UHI ...

Richard

If you use Linguatronic in a W211 then you can request additional phone entries by specific tags. So if you have a phonebook entry called "Jessica Alba" and then have Home, Office, Mobile tags entrered with different numbers - you may access those tags with voice control.

You must also take into consderation that the UHI module can be software updated. I noticed recently that in the diagnostic the UHI control module does accept updates itself and I know that it is well worth looking into.

Mine - 6310I in a W203 - loads the whole contact list in duplicate. I have the phone memory duplicated on the SIM as I've had problems in the past with losing one or the other, so I presume this is the problem?
It doesn't really bother me, but it doubles the time it takes to scroll through the names.

miro said:
So if you have a phonebook entry called "Jessica Alba" and then have Home, Office, Mobile tags entrered with different numbers - you may access those tags with voice control.
You have Jessica Alba's home, office and mobile numbers? :rolleyes: Is this hard-coded for Jessica or does it work for anyone in the phonebook? ;)

Went to another dealer today (Coventry) re this. Same bemused look. They called MB and eventually found someone who knew:

The Comand will read from the phone's memory (both memory and SIM).

It reads ONLY the single SIM number or the memory "default" number for each contact into Comand (it ignores duplicates which is why the copy-to-SIM works OK without dupes).

And then a classic:

"lots of people enquire about this but as far as I know there are no plans to change it"

Doing the copy-to-SIM is the only answer (within the 250 entry SIM limit of course!!).

Annoying - especially given that the Comand address book supports 3 numbers per contact IF you laboriously type them in through the dashboard.....

Richard - agreed re BMW - my sister's 1-series also "just works" - obviously designed and tested by someone who actually tried to use it!

w124coupe said:
Went to another dealer today (Coventry) re this. Same bemused look. They called MB and eventually found someone who knew:

The Comand will read from the phone's memory (both memory and SIM).

It reads ONLY the single SIM number or the memory "default" number for each contact into Comand (it ignores duplicates which is why the copy-to-SIM works OK without dupes).

And then a classic:

"lots of people enquire about this but as far as I know there are no plans to change it"

Doing the copy-to-SIM is the only answer (within the 250 entry SIM limit of course!!).

Annoying - especially given that the Comand address book supports 3 numbers per contact IF you laboriously type them in through the dashboard.....

Richard - agreed re BMW - my sister's 1-series also "just works" - obviously designed and tested by someone who actually tried to use it!

The D2B system of UHI is old and buggy. The MOST system has many enhancements (W211 was the first but now in all cars and new Vito / Sprinter) and does accept updates.

Shude said:
You have Jessica Alba's home, office and mobile numbers? :rolleyes: Is this hard-coded for Jessica or does it work for anyone in the phonebook? ;)

The obvious answer is ... "who cares"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom