• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Noob in Hampshire UK - S205 C43 estate (and an S204 220 CDI AMG Sport estate I still love too much)

GmanHampshire

Car
2019 C43, 2012 C220d AMG Sport
Hey MBClubbers, another new member to the forum, but an MB owner for 11 years now.

Over time I'm hoping I can pick your brains but also contribute my experience on maintaining cars and owning an S205 for 11 years and a C43 for 3 months.

The C43 is a new treat and way too powerful/expensive/capable/shiny for me I still can't actually let go of my beloved 220 diesel estate which has been the best behaved and easiest car to drive in my many decades of car ownership.
C43 early thoughts: for me the S205 (C43) is not a hugely better car than the S204 it supersedes. Yes more powerful, probably much safer, obviously faster but its too complex, less well planted on the road, terrible turning circle, clunky drivetrain and offers lousy modern-day visibility (I tow and manoeuvre in and out of tight spaces a lot and I can't see a darn thing). It does sound fantastic but overtaking is not a quiet or subtle pastime.

Time will tell and I'll keep you posted. When you see the S204 up for sale you'll know I've properly fallen in love with Stormsie (the C43) :)

G-man

Welcome - you're in the right place! Fully concur with your view of the S204 C220 - had ours since end March 2012, biggest problem has been (and is) lacquer failure, had bonnet (twice), roof (twice) and bootlid spoiler done, most of NS could do with doing - that's the side facing the sun where she's parked on our driveway. Wife is now saying she finds it too big and is agitating for a change, but not prepared to raid retirement savings as PX value of the S204 is now so low. You're lucky you're in Hampshire so not far away from 2 well known and well respected indies near the bottom of the M3 (we lived in Liphook for a year).

:ttiuwp

Welcome - you're in the right place! Fully concur with your view of the S204 C220 - had ours since end March 2012, biggest problem has been (and is) lacquer failure, had bonnet (twice), roof (twice) and bootlid spoiler done, most of NS could do with doing - that's the side facing the sun where she's parked on our driveway. Wife is now saying she finds it too big and is agitating for a change, but not prepared to raid retirement savings as PX value of the S204 is now so low. You're lucky you're in Hampshire so not far away from 2 well known and well respected indies near the bottom of the M3 (we lived in Liphook for a year).

:ttiuwp
Thanks Chris, sounds like your sun is much stronger than ours then :-)
My paint is pretty good (except where myself and others have tried to remove it) but after 164k (smooth, reliable, MB serviced) miles there is not much value left. Annoyingly our same-year Citroen C3 Picasso with a flimsy BMW engine and dingy-like suspension is worth more. Hmph.
Thanks for the recommendation on the indies though!

Thanks Chris, sounds like your sun is much stronger than ours then :-)
My paint is pretty good (except where myself and others have tried to remove it) but after 164k (smooth, reliable, MB serviced) miles there is not much value left. Annoyingly our same-year Citroen C3 Picasso with a flimsy BMW engine and dingy-like suspension is worth more. Hmph.
Thanks for the recommendation on the indies though!
I'll get some photos when she's clean and the sun's out. Maybe next year then :-)

Welcome from another Hampshire resident.
Having a similar dilemma moving up from an S211 to an S213. Some good and some bad but am getting there with the S213 and likewise, once convinced the S211 will be up for sale.

Would love to see the C43, I've always had a soft spot for them! (I'm also local!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom