Now got COMAND

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jackie Chiles

Car
2001 W210 E320 CDI & 2005 W203 C320 CDI
OK im weak, bought a COMAND as they are a neater solution than a portable. Two questions to anyone who has the experiance.

1, Unit is out of a 208 and is going in my 210 (can) so it has the 20' green clip, what is the part number of a 25' yellow clip? or can I remove the clip and cut another slot at 25', or should I just fit it and stop bothering everyone.

2, I have seen a write up which says I need to replace the Reinforcement behind the trim for a double DIN, other write-ups don't mention this. If I need one whats the part number? I have ordered a new wood trim for the front.

Thanks in advance

Jackie Chiles said:
OK im weak, bought a COMAND as they are a neater solution than a portable. Two questions to anyone who has the experiance.

1, Unit is out of a 208 and is going in my 210 (can) so it has the 20' green clip, what is the part number of a 25' yellow clip? or can I remove the clip and cut another slot at 25', or should I just fit it and stop bothering everyone.

2, I have seen a write up which says I need to replace the Reinforcement behind the trim for a double DIN, other write-ups don't mention this. If I need one whats the part number? I have ordered a new wood trim for the front.

Thanks in advance
Jackie I'm thinking of doing the same - where did you order the wood trim from? Thanks

Hi, I have ordered the wood trim from my local dealer (Tony Purslow) its about £150 but what else can you do? They are on e-bay.de but there are so many combinations of switches you will need luck on your side.

I have found a part number for the reinforcement bracket (A210 689 0916) with a more thorough search of the forums, still no joy on the gyro clip.

Jackie Chiles said:
Hi, I have ordered the wood trim from my local dealer (Tony Purslow) its about £150 but what else can you do? They are on e-bay.de but there are so many combinations of switches you will need luck on your side.

I have found a part number for the reinforcement bracket (A210 689 0916) with a more thorough search of the forums, still no joy on the gyro clip.
Good luck with the project, I decided not to do it for reasons of expense but would still like to know how you get on :)

Im still waiting for the bits from MB but couldn't resist slaving the unit in to try it.
All works fine except it does not go to night mode with the headlights on there is no info on the dash display. These are obviously related to CAN BUS and I assumed the car needed re-programming for COMAND. However I have read elsewhere that my unit A208 820 37 89 is available as CAN & non CAN, how can I tell which I have? Its going to be re-programmed on its service in a few weeks but I can't wait that long I fear its the wrong unit.

Not sure if its exactly the same system in different cars but my night mode does not seem to be directly linked to the headlight auto operation. Both work fine but sometimes the Command goes into night mode with lights remaining off & vice versa.

And good luck with the project.

The part number you need to work on your cars canbus is 208 820 4489 or the proper W210 unit which is 210 820 5689 Both these units were designed for the facelift CLK & E class ie with steering wheel control buttons & instr display of radio / comand inf and were introduced for the MY august 2001 .

Also, the gyro position makes no noticable difference between the CLK & E class so no need to worry about that .

Also, after fitting the (correct) comand unit you also need to move a pin in the diagnostic plug (from 33 to 34) so the MB diagnostic machine knows the cars has comand & not the normal audio 10. Without this mod, there is no way the dealer can programm your dash cluster to show the comand menus.

not quite what you wanted to hear but I hope this helps. I did the comand retrofit in my prefacelift 1999 W210 a while back with lots of help from this forum. Its always a good idea to post an enquiry here before buying anything for your MB. There are no silly questions.

Jackie Chiles said:

Thanks in advance

If you find that you do have the wrong COMAND, then I might be interested in buying it from you.

Just for info I forgot to move the diagnostic plug from 33 to 34 but the Merc tech managed to get the cluster working - new Star machine?

dave

Fitted most of it tonight, I think they must start with the Reinforcement bracket then build the car around it, but got it all back together and forgot to put in the sat antenna - Doh.
Anyway I have a quick question tonight: there is nothing locking the unit in new bracket, is there another part to it or is this due to it being for a 208?

I had read several posts from people that have 208's in 210's and vica-versa without problems, is this not the case post facelift?

Alfie - I'll let you know if I decide to change it for a 210

Well thats weird,plugged it in again to remove the disc and it recognised the CD and the steering wheel, also switched to night mode with the headlights. Not sure how maybe the order I connected it up?
It still didn't navigate properly until I connected a speed signal from the passenger footwell now it all works great :D just need to get the dashed programmed.
One problem the unit is loose in the new bracket and doesn't lock in place, Anyone know if there is an extra catch needed with the 210 unit?
Next job is to fit the ipod in the centre console.

Telephone via command

Just bought a 430 CLK that had Command installed, but not the telephone option. How easy is it to fit and where can I buy it from>

Cheers,
Jez.

the 210 comand fixes into place by using an L shape bracket each side that screws into the centre console. the existing clk brackets needs to be removed and the scews reused to fix the L bracket. If you get stuck I can let you have a pair I have spare.

Thanks for that Steve, you have a P.M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom