NOx - Understanding How Many Of Us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Same issue on my car - a 2015 S212 Bluetec. Engine light came on over the new year. Plugged in a code reader - P229F. Googling led me here and found an outstanding recall due on the Mercedes recall lookup site. Phoned my local dealer, they looked up the reg, confirmed the outstanding update and advised it would get “a software update and nox sensor replacement free of charge under the recall scheme” and booked it in.
Dropped it off this morning and picked up tonight, no payment and no mention of anything being waived.
For reference it’s a 15 plate on 62000 miles, no MBFSH, and I’ve never used the dealer chain before ( LSH Auto - Mercedes Manchester central).

Cheers for all the info on this site/thread!

I got a 2 year old s213 e220 just before Christmas, only had it for one day and guess what.........yellow light came on ( NOx sensor).
Luckily for me its a used approved so it was done under the 12 mouth warranty. Its only done 20,000 miles so hopping they last a bit longer as next time i will properly be paying myself :crazy::doh:

I have a 2015 W205 which I bought secondhand (admittedly not from MB approved). Shortly after the warranty expired I got the engine light on and fault code P220162. MB dealer quoted £1200. MB, through the dealer, refused any good will replacement or contribution. Found an independent (with STAR) who replaced both NOx sensors and did the software change for £700. Also, dealer told me that the independent would use the wrong part numbers even though MB's own STAR system stated that the resolution was to use that particular part number. In addition, the independent gave me the STAR printout so I could see what was going on but MB dealer refused to provide any information on the diagnostic saying that the information was not for customers. Not at all impressed with MB dealer service (LSH Stockport).

This is one of the things putting me off changing my petrol CLS for a lightly used diesel E/GLC/GLE. Will follow this thread with interest.

Depends on your mileage & usage. For me, low annual mileage & fairy frequent city driving means a most definite no.

For the sake of saving £300 a year on fuel I'd be racking up the diesel repair costs which seems to come in units of £500.

My neighbour has a diesel transit. He's a builder so it's all short hops. Believe it or not, he actually drives it to Watford and back every single week purely to get the soot out of the DPF. Even then, he's still had to pay for 2 x DPF's out of his own pocket.

Nuts.

I have a 2015 W205 which I bought secondhand (admittedly not from MB approved). Shortly after the warranty expired I got the engine light on and fault code P220162. MB dealer quoted £1200. MB, through the dealer, refused any good will replacement or contribution. Found an independent (with STAR) who replaced both NOx sensors and did the software change for £700. Also, dealer told me that the independent would use the wrong part numbers even though MB's own STAR system stated that the resolution was to use that particular part number. In addition, the independent gave me the STAR printout so I could see what was going on but MB dealer refused to provide any information on the diagnostic saying that the information was not for customers. Not at all impressed with MB dealer service (LSH Stockport).

Stockport really are one of the worst in my experience since moving to the "Gin Palace".

These are the outfit that actually "fixed" my car but with zero update on cause and remedy.

Was it "Sam" that fixed your car?

There seem to be a swathe of posters having NOx and AdBlue challenges. If they use this post and took some of our collective feedback/experience - may save them several hundred £s.

Same issue here got diagnosis done by Mercedes Whitefield. Was told it’s downstream Nox sensor and will cost £695 for repair and no contribution from Mercedes will be provided.
It’s 2015 c class with 55k mileage.
I am just wondering if I keep it like that and don’t have it repaired will it cause any damage to the engine ?
as I am so pissed off they used real cheap and crappy sensors in earlier models and they aren’t even accepting their fault

Shows inconsistency - think that are LSH owned and would anticipate same conclusion at each "Manchester" branch.

No harm in asking why (of MB Customer Services) why your car is not covered.

At some stage somebody will say "serviceable item".

Unlucky in my case and they refused. This is the reply from them.

In order to address your concerns and investigate further, I took the time to review the concerns highlighted alongside our Retailer. Mercedes-Benz of Whitefield confirm that your C-Class requires a downstream NOx sensor. Our Retailer raised a claim for this repair through our Head Office, Unfortunately the outcome of this claim remains the same with 100% of the cost lying with you. There is no contribution from Mercedes-Benz in this case. Your C-Class is over two years out of Manufacturer’s Warranty and does not hold a full Mercedes-Benz service history, both of which are deciding factors for this decision.

Only last time I didn’t get it serviced from Mercedes but before till 44k milage it has been serviced by Mercedes. Now it has 55k milage.

Late to the party, but I had a rear one go on my PETROL 350 just after getting it at 5 years old, 36k, 3 years ago.

Replaced by MBS, but it's not only diesels......
No problems since and I am a low mileage driver

Unlucky in my case and they refused. This is the reply from them.

In order to address your concerns and investigate further, I took the time to review the concerns highlighted alongside our Retailer. Mercedes-Benz of Whitefield confirm that your C-Class requires a downstream NOx sensor. Our Retailer raised a claim for this repair through our Head Office, Unfortunately the outcome of this claim remains the same with 100% of the cost lying with you. There is no contribution from Mercedes-Benz in this case. Your C-Class is over two years out of Manufacturer’s Warranty and does not hold a full Mercedes-Benz service history, both of which are deciding factors for this decision.

Only last time I didn’t get it serviced from Mercedes but before till 44k milage it has been serviced by Mercedes. Now it has 55k milage.
As you say, you were unlucky. I had both NOx sensors replaced on my C350 petrol when it was 7 years old. But, it only had done 30k miles and a full Mercedes service history. There has to be some advantages to having Mercedes servicing when paying all that extra money (apart from free Mobilo breakdown cover and a nice courtesy car for the day.)

does anyone has info if an E350 bluetec 2015 has to be filled with this adblue liquid? thank you guys

Same issue on my car - a 2015 S212 Bluetec. Engine light came on over the new year. Plugged in a code reader - P229F. Googling led me here and found an outstanding recall due on the Mercedes recall lookup site. Phoned my local dealer, they looked up the reg, confirmed the outstanding update and advised it would get “a software update and nox sensor replacement free of charge under the recall scheme” and booked it in.
Dropped it off this morning and picked up tonight, no payment and no mention of anything being waived.
For reference it’s a 15 plate on 62000 miles, no MBFSH, and I’ve never used the dealer chain before ( LSH Auto - Mercedes Manchester central).

Cheers for all the info on this site/thread!
sir do you have info if an E350 bluetec 2015 has to be filled with this adblue liquid? thank you!

I had a recall with regards to the software update, would this prevent the Nox issue, or are they not related.

I'm from the unlucky box.

Engine light, miles count down....

As I have purchased from a dealer last summer, I have the extended warranty.
They have found out that it's not the Nox sensor, which would be covered under the warranty, but blocked hose.
As the hose is plastic, it is not covered and to change it, it is 8 hour job, it will be £1300. The hose it self is £200.

I had to pay for the diagnostics, but they felt bad and discounted it to half.

I had the hose cleared independently and only purchased the hose connector that goes into the adblue tank.
It has been confirmed by the mechanic, that if the hose had to be replaced, that would be a huge time consuming job.

Hi All,
I replaced my NOx sensors 30 months ago, after the Ad Blue counter started the dread countdown. The replacement was done by was done by Mercedes Bury St Edmunds. The AdBlue has just reared its ugly head agin, with its partner in crime, the engine management light. I didn't check if my car was given the update or not, as im only just aware of it.
Is there any advice or anything that I should particularly say to MB BSE when I call them on Monday?

Thanks in advance

Does MB have a online checker to see if our cars require the update, or is it a dealer only enquiry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom