Number plate attaching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kraftwerk

Car
97 R129 500; 78 Fiat 238 Weinsberg; 74 Fiat 128 Special; 99 Honda X11, 99 Suzuki GSX1300R
My wife bought me a plate for Christmas. Before I steam in with a chisel and claw hammer to remove the old ones, I have two questions: they appear just to be stuck on - do I just prise them off? And what's the best way to affix the new ones? I used sticky pads for the plates on my bus, but had trouble getting the front one to stick fast to the curved bumper.

Any advice gratefully received.

I've used the Velcro brand of sticky pads (With a velcro fixing) on a Mazda 3, the 500E, a Laguna, Focus, Rover 200 and MK1 Golf and not one has come loose.

Dave!

I've used the Velcro brand of sticky pads (With a velcro fixing) on a Mazda 3, the 500E, a Laguna, Focus, Rover 200 and MK1 Golf and not one has come loose.

Dave!

yes prise them off, maybe using a hair dryer to soften the sticky pads. They could also of been held on with some sort of glue by a dodgy bodge attempt if you dont know the history - so be careful.

I prefer the clean look of no bolts, so I use sticky pads from Halfords to stick mine on. Works well. Make sure you clean and use the alcholic wipe before re-applying new pads so they stick well.

Thanks for the advice, both. I prefer the no-bolts look, too. I'll put my chisel away, then...

If they are held with adhesive pads the safest method is to slip a length of dental floss between the plate and mounting surface and use it to 'saw' through the pads. Then peel the remaining bits off the car as above, rolling with help from a hairdryer works well.

If mounting to a curved surface you need adhesive pads of different thickness (thick for the ends, thin for the middle) - Halfords stock these. Any significant curve in the plate is likely to result in the plate coming loose at one end or the other eventually.

Velcro is an interesting idea, but the plates would be easily 'nickable' if anyone realised that's how they were held on. Velcro comes in different strength ratings BTW, you'd want to use the highest grade (I think still called "heavy duty").

Hey,
Before I get my measuring tape and go out and remove my plate, I read that the rear 4 numberplate mounting brackets are 4mm in height away from the boot lid itself?
Was just curious what size sticky pads you guys are using on your plates, 5mm/6?

Thanks

I bought the number plate surrounds from my dealer. They were only a fiver a piece and look smart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom