• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Official Mercedes Rear Subframe Extended Warranty (Multiple Models)

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
I read on MBWorld W212 forum that MB USA has officially extended the warranty of the rear subframe to 20 years and unlimited milage on the following models:

C Class Sedan Couple (W/C204)
E class Wagon / Sedan / Couple / Cab (S/W212 and C/A207)
GLK Class (X204)
SL Class (R231)
CLS-Class (C218)
SLK Class (R171 and R172)

Here's the thread: W212 rear subframe extended warranty - MBWorld.org Forums

Has anyone heard of an official word in the UK?

Attachments

• img_0002_4f2eb8854fbbe2e4082944cbc85922cf9f933ce6.jpeg
    img_0002_4f2eb8854fbbe2e4082944cbc85922cf9f933ce6.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 34
The people on that forum claim that the UK and Germany have already made it official, so just checking to see if there's anything to back that up

Just in case we're not covered by the extended warranty, there is a product I can recommend, I personally use it on all my cars, it's called Lanoguard. It's not widely heard of but it's very good stuff and helps preserve undercarriage parts like subframe from corrosion, rust etc. Unlike waxonyl or tetraseal, it's not tar based product and leaves the components tidy. Most of the undercarriage areas these days are covered up with alot of plastics, so I only need to use a little, mainly to protect the subframe any exposed metal. I have yet to apply Lanoguard to the rear but will do soon, have only had opportunity to detail the engine bay on my w212 so this will be next on my list of TLC. All my other cars are treated 🙂

Unfortunately the rear subframe is a hollow structure which allows water and corrosive materials to accumulate internally promoting rust damage. I suspect that coating the exterior of the subframe while improving the appearance will do little to protect it from structural failure. Unless the subframe structure could be totally immersed in any protective fluid early in its life I would question its ability to prolong subframe life----but who knows?

Last edited:
The kit comes with a small pipe piece which can be inserted into any hollow hole. Should be able to spray a far amount inside as long the pipe end can be pushed through enough. When I do mine, will take some photos before and after. I forgot to mention, the downside is the liquid ideally should be reapply the liquid once a year but I'm okay with that as it doesn't take long. I was a bit dubious but it definitely not a snake oil product and will help prolong as much as possibly 🙂

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

BigLips is having the subframe done on his 2010 S212 FOC.

My concern for keen younger forum members viewing these videos is the frequent failure of the presenter to wear any protective respiratory or eye protection. While these materials are probably benign---- get any fine particulates//vapour into your lung alveoli --its not coming out again-ever!

My concern for keen younger forum members viewing these videos is the frequent failure of the presenter to wear any protective respiratory or eye protection. While these materials are probably benign---- get any fine particulates//vapour into your lung alveoli --its not coming out again-ever!

I think our keen younger members should be able to read instructions, they won't be that dumb as that presenter. Young or old members here, likely to wear mask and eye goggles 😀

I think our keen younger members should be able to read instructions, they won't be that dumb as that presenter. Young or old members here, likely to wear mask and eye goggles 😀
You'd like to think so; however, I watched a neighbour last summer cutting up block pavers with an angle grinder. His PPE consisted of a pair of shorts, trainers and a t shirt the bottom of which he pulled up to cover his mouth and nose with one hand whilst the other hand operated the grinder. The block was secured by careful application of a size 10 Reebok.
:eek:

You'd like to think so; however, I watched a neighbour last summer cutting up block pavers with an angle grinder. His PPE consisted of a pair of shorts, trainers and a t shirt the bottom of which he pulled up to cover his mouth and nose with one hand whilst the other hand operated the grinder. The block was secured by careful application of a size 10 Reebok.
:eek:
Chav chav deserves it then 😁

Someone raised a valid point, just wondering, what age range would you have to be to be classified as younger members or older members. I'm 47 and I don't age discriminate but would be interested to hear views. No fighting, just curious 🤔

Someone raised a valid point, just wondering, what age range would you have to be to be classified as younger members or older members. I'm 47 and I don't age discriminate but would be interested to hear views. No fighting, just curious 🤔
Age is a state of mind. But I would say that; I'm an old fart.

Ooo, nest of rats opened there, seriously though, it's an old saying, but, "as old as you feel, or want to be"
I'm knocking on a bit, (only a bit) 🙂 but I still like tinkering/modding my cars, always will, when eventually a mobo scooter comes along, I'll mod that too. 🙂👍

Unfortunately the rear subframe is a hollow structure which allows water and corrosive materials to accumulate internally promoting rust damage. I suspect that coating the exterior of the subframe while improving the appearance will do little to protect it from structural failure. Unless the subframe structure could be totally immersed in any protective fluid early in its life I would question its ability to prolong subframe life----but who knows?
Rather off track, but sort of interestingly related, I have often praised the virtues of my original Mercedes Vito 638.
A cracking little van imho. Small & basic compared to it's successors, but blessed with a charm and driveability that earned it some affection.
Mine had been undersealed from new, and a visual inspection showed an undamaged rubberised surface on all metal surfaces underneath. No signs of it peeling, lifting or degrading in any other way.
I had a mechanical issue with mine, which necessitated my removing the engine to address. No big deal, and the van seemed pretty mint so worth the effort.
However,,,
Whilst the engine bay was empty I took the opportunity to tidy up the normally inaccessible areas. To my astonishment I found that the main supporting steel (which was not undersealed where it rose up behind the engine) was quite seriously corroded. When I then followed their track down under the vehicle I realised that, despite the unblemished surface, if I squeezed the box section with my hands I could feel them distort & hear the rust flake & drop off inside.!

I wonder if the cause for the demise of the 638 has it's roots in the same source as this ongoing subframe issue.?

Occupational Lung Diseases
the problem with lung disease is that it may take many years after exposure for the condition to manifest itself-asbestosis being prime example. The mental age thing mentioned is only relevant to this because due to life expectancy older DIY enthusiasts may never live long enough to develop these long term conditions but die of other causes! I would define "age v youth " as the point in time at which you become increasingly aware of your own mortality* and this will vary from individual to individual but if you want to put a figure on it I would venture around 40 years old. I am not trying to denigrate the young enthusiast here simply pointing out they have more to lose!
*armed forces personnel that have seen combat would be an exception

Last edited:
I think it's when you physically feel your age . When you can feel the next day that you have been working on your car, but you don't remember doing anything particularily strenuous.

For me it was when I stopped 'bouncing' and getting straight back up after falling off my dirt bikes and just lying there in the mud moaning for way too long.

Still got the bikes though. Refuse to grow old gracefully.

1677322668368.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom