Oil filter tool size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The strap type does work ok. I used one on friends car, but personally I think the socket type is a lot better.
Just for the record for anyone doing it for the first time. Do not use the chain type wrench as it could seriously damage the filter housing.

If you have only one car and need only one filter socket the sockets are best as long as you have enough space to get a ratchet spanner in , which is no problem with engines with the oil filter cap on top of the engine (MB, BMW etc). My strap wrench has 3/8th,1/2inch female ends and 2 different hex sizes to get a grip on with a socket set or spanners and works on virtually anything that needs to be gripped . The thing being gripped can be virtually any shape and size (up to the strap length obviously) and is not limited to oil filter changes.

A Chain wrench admittedly can be a bit brutal and should not be used by the faint hearted and certainly not be used to install a new filter. If an MB plastic cartridge filter cap is all you need to deal with one of those jam jar opening strap aids should do it, you can buy them for about three quid.

Top Tip ! If your strap/chain wrench is slipping wrap some emery tape beneath the strap/chain around the offending item .

If you have only one car and need only one filter socket the sockets are best as long as you have enough space to get a ratchet spanner in , which is no problem with engines with the oil filter cap on top of the engine (MB, BMW etc). My strap wrench has 3/8th,1/2inch female ends and 2 different hex sizes to get a grip on with a socket set or spanners and works on virtually anything that needs to be gripped . The thing being gripped can be virtually any shape and size (up to the strap length obviously) and is not limited to oil filter changes.

A Chain wrench admittedly can be a bit brutal and should not be used by the faint hearted and certainly not be used to install a new filter. If an MB plastic cartridge filter cap is all you need to deal with one of those jam jar opening strap aids should do it, you can buy them for about three quid.

Top Tip ! If your strap/chain wrench is slipping wrap some emery tape beneath the strap/chain around the offending item .
The problem with oil filters is that most people have an unnatural fear of them leaking,,,and tend to over tighten them, which is OK until they have to come off again. The emery cloth is a good trick for the slippery ones though. But as most filters now have octagonal/ hexagonal socket shaped filter bodies, its safer to use the proper tool. As you point out, MB and other top mounted oil filters are relatively easy to access, but we have several Skodas ( VAG engines) and they are only accessible from underneath , so the socket is the only option, and even at that, you have to be carefull as they are plastic, including the retaining nuts.

Thanks i can check the measurement of an old bmw one i have see if its the same, thanks

The problem with oil filters is that most people have an unnatural fear of them leaking,,,and tend to over tighten them, which is OK until they have to come off again. The emery cloth is a good trick for the slippery ones though. But as most filters now have octagonal/ hexagonal socket shaped filter bodies, its safer to use the proper tool. As you point out, MB and other top mounted oil filters are relatively easy to access, but we have several Skodas ( VAG engines) and they are only accessible from underneath , so the socket is the only option, and even at that, you have to be carefull as they are plastic, including the retaining nuts.
Then there is the other 'nuclear' option ...driving a long screwdriver right through the stubborn filter using a big hammer. Only as a last resort and only if you know there is no protrusion from the engine into the filter housing. :eek:

Been there , done that.

Then there is the other 'nuclear' option ...driving a long screwdriver right through the stubborn filter using a big hammer. Only as a last resort and only if you know there is no protrusion from the engine into the filter housing. :eek:

Been there , done that.
Nuclear option is right Pete...car up on lift ( or worse, over a pit..or even wose...up on axle stands in the back yard as you try to generate some extra tax free funding..:rolleyes: ) you drive the screwdriver into the filter, and then the rush of dirty hot black oil running down the screwdriver, down your arm, past your elbow, your armpit and down your rib cage.....of course, with practice, you learned how to avoid a lot of this, but still it was a dirty job.:confused:

Been there , done that.

Been there done that several times. I don't know how many years it took for me to learn just how lightly tightened the old can filters needed to be. I put it down to the rubber seal being deliberately designed to swell on contact with oil which then tightened up the filter. The new cartridge design is more sophisticated in using O ring seals which don't rely on tightness of the housing to work.

I've got lots of different size tools.
Compared to the Merc. size some are very small though.

On some of the smaller 3 cylinder cars the Oil Filter can is sort of up in the engine from the bottom so getting a ratchet on is near on impossible.

For less than £10 for a tool seems sensible.

My experience is slightly different 'bush service' , middle of nowhere (think desert/scrub) dig hole , change the oil and filter , fill hole using shovel. Different times.
Was there too, Pete. That was the "civilised"version I was speaking about earlier. The other ones ranged ot +45 (Darfur ) to -30 ( Chechnya ) conditions, and the odd angry shot. ( And sometimes , more than the odd one.) But hot oil running down your arm still felt the same... LOL 😂 ( actually as long as it was only hot oil, it was not too bad...):rolleyes:

Was there too, Pete. That was the "civilised"version I was speaking about earlier. The other ones ranged ot +45 (Darfur ) to -30 ( Chechnya ) conditions, and the odd angry shot. ( And sometimes , more than the odd one.) But hot oil running down your arm still felt the same... LOL 😂 ( actually as long as it was only hot oil, it was not too bad...):rolleyes:
Ahh the old screwdriver ploy ( I sound a bit like inspector Clouseau there ):rolleyes: I've done that many a time on Cortina's etc. But what I have now is a chain one a strap one and a Merc one. Happy Days. 😁

Ahh the old screwdriver ploy ( I sound a bit like inspector Clouseau there ):rolleyes: I've done that many a time on Cortina's etc. But what I have now is a chain one a strap one and a Merc one. Happy Days. 😁
Yes Bayleaf....it was the "Universal GoTo" removal tool for the old type metal oil filter's. I have the same set up as you now. ( But stil keep a nice long flatbladed screwdriver, the one with the steel part running the lenght of it.....the hammerable one's. After all, you never know do you??? :rolleyes:

I bought the genuine MB tool with two short bolts that screw in from the side of the tool. The lighter pressed steel tools can slip on very tight filter housings.

I bought the genuine MB tool with two short bolts that screw in from the side of the tool. The lighter pressed steel tools can slip on very tight filter housings.
Yes I've seen those on eBay. The one I got was from China (where else) quite sturdy construction and chrome plated and a good fit too. I suppose if you had one of the type you mention you could always drape a rag over the filter housing to get a bit more grip i.e. take up any slack.

Yes I've seen those on eBay. The one I got was from China (where else) quite sturdy construction and chrome plated and a good fit too. I suppose if you had one of the type you mention you could always drape a rag over the filter housing to get a bit more grip i.e. take up any slack.
Here's my oil and filter change kit,,,,,,all bought in the local motor factors, many years ago, and still going strong. TBH, I much prefer a good strong heavy duty filter socket too ( the pressed metal type. I'm not a fan of,,) and neither would I use the type with the side locking bolts on, especially the newer filter insert type as I'd be afraid of damaging the filter body. For the older type filter cartridge, it would probably be OK though.

Attachments

• Technical Sump Stud Kit 20210129_214431[3347].jpg
    Technical Sump Stud Kit 20210129_214431[3347].jpg
    933.8 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom