Oil overfill warning light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jono_1001

Car
SL320
I have an SL320 (R129) and the oil overfill light came on the other night whilst driving home.
I have had the car about 4 weeks and not touched under the bonnet apart from checking the oil level, about 4 weeks ago (all fine).
I read the manual :eek: and it said leave the engine to cool for 5 mins and then turn the ignition on and press the dashboard button, sure enough the light came up again. Checking the dipstick, yep there's oil above the max level.

Now on all previous cars I was taught to check the oil when the engine was cold, is this a difference with MBs?
When the engine is cold the oil level is below the max mark on the dipstick :crazy:

Any help?
I did try the stealership but they were busy and didn't get back to me :mad:

TIA

Jono_1001 said:
Now on all previous cars I was taught to check the oil when the engine was cold, is this a difference with MBs?
When the engine is cold the oil level is below the max mark on the dipstick :crazy:

TIA

I would agree that oil should be checked when cold preferably first thing in the morning before running the engine. This allows for oil to run back to the sump from all points. However the 5 minutes MB say is enough to get most of the oil running back. If it is too much then, I am amazed that it is below when cold??? :confused: :confused:

Are you sure that it is below and is the car on the level for both checks?? It is obviously not too full if it measures OK when cold?? :confused: :confused:

Spoke to MB this am, and they said it maybe due to the heat????
I thought the engine would be far hotter than external, but wasn't going to argue as he said to bring it in for a free drain. :bannana:
Missed the chance to talk to the mechanic, as it was my first visit to my local MB garage and was checking on mod opportunities :)

However it was confirmed that oil level should be checked when the oil is warm and not cold. I'm guessing it's an MB thing?

Jono_1001 said:
However it was confirmed that oil level should be checked when the oil is warm and not cold. I'm guessing it's an MB thing?

I find that a little strange although I am not an knowledgable person with your Model. On a W124 it is always done when the engine is cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom