Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the last oil I bought was actually 229.52.
Same as I use, Total Quartz Ineo MC 5W-30 Synthetic
( MB 229.52
Oils meeting this specifications must have lower ash content, at least 1% better fuel economy compared to the requirements of MB 229.31 and MB 229.51 and better oxidation stability for biofuel compatibility. Can also be used where an MB 229.31 or an MB 229.51 oil is required. Just like MB 229.5 and MB 229.51 this spec requires a long life oil.)

The part which says " This spec requires a long life oil" How long is "long" in their book? In Miles, 10'000, 12'000, 15'000 or even 20'000 Miles? or in time? 12 Mths? 18Mths or 24 Mths?

Just use as annual / 10k but because of the extra concentration of additives namely detergents and dispersants , towards the end the oil will be in a better state and doing a better job than non LongLife oil .

If I had a DPF-equipped car, then given the choice I would have obviously preferred 229.52 oil to 229.51, although both are permissible (just as I prefer 229.5 oil to 229.3 for my petrol car).

But at the same time, we also need to keep a sense of proportion... an engine regularly treated to 229.52 might last to (say) 300,000 miles while on 229.51 it would have lasted 'only' 280,000 miles... etc.

So yes, by all means go for the better oil if you can, but don't lose any sleep over it if you didn't :)

Just use as annual / 10k but because of the extra concentration of additives namely detergents and dispersants , towards the end the oil will be in a better state and doing a better job than non LongLife oil .
Thanks Gazwould,
story is that I bought the car in Jan 2018, and changed the oil and filter in Feb 2018. Service indicator was saying that next service was due in October 2018, (but at the time I did not have the way to change it). Since the time I changed the oil in Feb, it has done 9500 Klms, and now the service indicator is telling me that it is overdue by 20 days, but I plan on leaving it be until Feb and next oil change, then reset it. Thats why I was asking about the time interval / mileage of the long life oil. And when you mention 10'000, you mean miles, and not Klms?
Thanks again, Justin

Another misconception , you can use a dpf C3 / C2 oil in a non dpf car or even petrol .
This is correct. 229.51 and 229.52 oils are in fact described by the oil manufacturers as suitable for both Diesel and petrol engines.

And while MB do not actually specify 229.51 and 229.52 for petrol engines or for non-DPF Diesel engines (They specify 229.4/229.5/229.6 instead), they still permit the use of 229.51 and 229.52 on most (though not all) of their petrol engines and non-DPF Diesel engines.

So for example using a 229.51 or 229.52 oil in a petrol engine (for those engines that MB permit it) will not void the new car warranty.

Thanks Gazwould,
story is that I bought the car in Jan 2018, and changed the oil and filter in Feb 2018. Service indicator was saying that next service was due in October 2018, (but at the time I did not have the way to change it). Since the time I changed the oil in Feb, it has done 9500 Klms, and now the service indicator is telling me that it is overdue by 20 days, but I plan on leaving it be until Feb and next oil change, then reset it. Thats why I was asking about the time interval / mileage of the long life oil. And when you mention 10'000, you mean miles, and not Klms?
Thanks again, Justin
So you changed the oil in Feb 2018, but did not reset the service indicator?

What year is the car? And did you carry out a full service in Feb, or just a quick oil change?

So you changed the oil in Feb 2018, but did not reset the service indicator?

What year is the car? And did you carry out a full service in Feb, or just a quick oil change?

Is it 2010 W212 Diesel? What's the mileage?

Do you know when the following were last done:

Air filter
Fuel filter
Pollen filter
Brake fluid
ATF and filter

Is it 2010 W212 Diesel? What's the mileage?

Do you know when the following were last done:

Air filter
Fuel filter
Pollen filter
Brake fluid
ATF and filter
Hi Markjay, The car is a 2010 w212 E200 Blue Tec Diesel with 5 sp Automatic Transmission.
Since I got the car in January, Engine Oil+ filter, Engine air filter, ( was not in bad condition, but I changed it anyway ) Full ATF change, inc filter and TC, new serpentine belt, Antifreeze change, with full flush, new tyres. wheel alignment, full Smart scan ( Registered indy ) Only fault showing is the electric heater in the matrix. To Do:- Brake fluid change, fuel filter and pollen filter. All planned for the near future, most likely Feb 2019 to coincide with the 1 year elapsed time since last oil / filter change. But I may do this earlier. We will see how it goes. Car driving like a dream. In general, the car has 2 previous owners, 1st one full MB service history, Owner Nr 2, not much to show, so I am not taking anything for granted. Car has since Jan 12th 9'500 Klms done.

Last edited:
Hi Markjay, The car is a 2010 w212 E200 Blue Tec Diesel with 5 sp Automatic Transmission.
Since I got the car in January, Engine Oil+ filter, Engine air filter, ( was not in bad condition, but I changed it anyway ) Full ATF change, inc filter and TC, new serpentine belt, Antifreeze change, with full flush, new tyres. wheel alignment, full Smart scan ( Registered indy ) Only fault showing is the electric heater in the matrix. To Do:- Brake fluid change, fuel filter and pollen filter. All planned for the near future, most likely Feb 2019 to coincide with the 1 year elapsed time since last oil / filter change. But I may do this earlier. We will see how it goes. Car driving like a dream. In general, the car has 2 previous owners, 1st one full MB service history, Owner Nr 2, not much to show, so I am not taking anything for granted. Car has since Jan 12th 9'500 Klms done.
Ideally you should try and put the ASSIST on the dash back on schedule... unless you don't mind to much that it's out of step with the actual services.

Ideally you should try and put the ASSIST on the dash back on schedule... unless you don't mind to much that it's out of step with the actual services.
No Markjay.... I would much prefer to do things by the book, that way, everything is clear. The first major service ( A Service, I guess?? ) was performed on 10/11/11 @ 51436 Klms. This is why the reminder now keeps showing on the dash " B Service overdue by 25 Days" So I will extrapolate by mileage, as to where I should be at this point, and update the ASSIST function. Is this difficult to do? I have the MB iCarsoft 11 OBD reader, can it be done using this? Or can it be done via the ASSIST functions on the dash, using the steering wheel control buttons? As this is my 1st Mercedes, I am complete novice at this stage.
Thanks again for your help.

Yes the service can be rest using the ASSIST function on the dash, but ASSIST also keeps track on which service has been done (A or B), so for ASSIST to properly and fully catch-up with were you are now you may need to reset it more than once, or alternatively check with STAR which services have been done so far (according to ASSIST) and when - I don't know if iCarsoft can see the service history stored on the car.

Yes the service can be rest using the ASSIST function on the dash, but ASSIST also keeps track on which service has been done (A or B), so for ASSIST to properly and fully catch-up with were you are now you may need to reset it more than once, or alternatively check with STAR which services have been done so far (according to ASSIST) and when - I don't know if iCarsoft can see the service history stored on the car.
Thanks Mark..I have a printout of the MB service history, up to 150'000 Klms, then Zilch ( 2nd owner, I guess using an indy ) so just going by the condition of the parts I have replaced, which looked pretty good ( as against badly clogged filters etc, ) I think for owner Nr 2... a lot of extrapolation will be required.. LOL :wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom