Old games consoles and new TVs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
Is it possible to use the Sega Mega Drive from the late 80's early 90s on modern HD LED TV's?
And if so, how so?

Thanks,
Stu

Don't you plug it into the CoAx?

Don't you plug it into the CoAx?

Unfortunately it will likely put out an analogue broadcast signal through the co-ax which todays TV digital tuners won't recognise.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit...sion_in_the_United_Kingdom#Digital_switchover

If you have a Din output plug some sort of lash up connector may be possible but depends again on what inputs the TV can accomodate?

The main microprocessor is a 16/32-bit Motorola 68000 CPU clocked at 7.6 MHz.[97] The console uses a Zilog Z80 sub-processor, mainly used to control the sound hardware and provide backwards compatibility with the Master System. The system has 72 kB of RAM, 64 kB of video RAM, and can display up to 61 colors[98] at once from a palette of 512. The games are in ROM cartridge format and inserted in the top.[99]

The system produces sound using a Yamaha YM2612 FM synthesizer and a Texas Instruments SN76489 PSG; the latter is integrated with the Video Display Processor (VDP). The Z80 processor is primarily used to control both sound chips to produce stereo music and sound effects. Most revisions of the original system contain a discrete YM2612 and a separate YM7101 VDP; the functionality of these two chips was later integrated into a single custom ASIC (FC1004) for the model 2 and later revisions.[99]

The back of the model 1 console provides a radio frequency output port (designed for use with antenna and cable systems) and a specialized 8-pin DIN port, both of which provide video and audio output. Both outputs produce monophonic sound; a headphone jack on the front of the console produces stereo sound.[100] On the model 2, the DIN port, radio frequency output port, and headphone jack are replaced by a 9-pin mini-DIN port on the back for composite video, RGB and stereo sound, and the standard RF switch.[101] Earlier model 1 consoles have a 9-pin extension port, although this was removed in later production runs and is absent in the model 2. An edge connector on the bottom-right of the console allows it to be connected to a peripheral.[102]

Last edited:
Virtually all tellys will play them fine, I can connect my NES, SNES and Megadrive to my new Samsung with no issues.

They look awful though due to the resolution

Last edited:
Simple answer as above, yes

Even a Commodore 64 can work on a modern telly! Obviously depends on your inputs but yes

KillerHERTZ said:
Virtually all tellys will play them fine, I can connect my NES, SNES and Megadrive to my new Samsung with no issues. They look awful though due to the resolution

Playing Road Rash on a large tv is surreal compared to what it was back in the day :eek:

Yep, Im yet to hear of a TV that is totally digital and doesnt except the signals, if anything they are better than CRT tellys as they can except 50 and 60Hz (PAL & NTSC) Signals

(I collect vintage game hardware)

:thumb:
Virtually all tellys will play them fine, I can connect my NES, SNES and Megadrive to my new Samsung with no issues.

They look awful though due to the resolution

Same as got the Snes connected with mortal kombat at the moment

You cant play the shoot em ups though on new TV's only on the crt! ie duck hunt etc

Got my Mega Drive and PS1 out of the cupboard over the bank holiday weekend and got them hitched up to the flat panel telly in the spare room, UHF channel 36 in both cases (the old VCR frequency). Both worked OK, but boy are the graphics rubbish on Gran Turismo 1!! Still fun to play though, how many hours of my life did I waste on that game?

Cheers,

Gaz

Is this a case of tuning it to a none digital channel on the TV ?

Is this a case of tuning it to a none digital channel on the TV ?

Yep, you should at least have the option of DVB and ANALOGUE in the menu, otherwise your TV will almost certainly have a yellow video in socket and red/white ones for sound or an adaptor that came with it which gives you one.

Scart itself is getting rare though.

Despite having most of the old consoles, starting with the Atari, boxed away in the loft, i made a Retropie and housed it in a dead N64 case for convenience of having all the games from all the consoles a quick menu away.

Last edited:
Yep, you should at least have the option of DVB and ANALOGUE in the menu, otherwise your TV will almost certainly have a yellow video in socket and red/white ones for sound or an adaptor that came with it which gives you one.

Scart itself is getting rare though.

Despite having most of the old consoles, starting with the Atari, boxed away in the loft, i made a Retropie and housed it in a dead N64 case for convenience of having all the games from all the consoles a quick menu away.

The yellow connector is for composite video, this isn't the standard output from the megadrive (that is UHF).

The yellow connector is a phono/RCA type, the megadrive - well, mine at least - comes with a flying lead with a little breakout box on the end. The breakout box has 2 connectors, male and female. I can't remember which way round it goes without dragging the megadrive out but one goes in the antenna socket on the back of the TV and the antenna then plugs into the breakout box.

It may be that you lose your freeview channels if you connect it as above, the breakout box predates digital TV by many years so I've no idea what affect it will have on the signal. I connected up my megadrive to the TV in the spare room that doesn't have an incoming antenna connection so it wasn't an issue.

Once you've got the megadrive connected and switched on, you'll need to tune in the TV as if it was connecting to the old analogue signal. The TV should scan through the available channels, which from memory are UHF channels 21-59. It should pick the megadrive on channel 36, if not try and retune manually.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom