Older Cars Section?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I can't find a post despite a good browse.
So, could we open a discussion section or similar for cars of a certain age - twenty years or more, for example?
Cars where you could lift the bonnet and still have a chance of seeing what's going on - and have a chance of fixing it if needs-be!
Just a thought.
Cheers,
Paul

isobars said:
Hi All, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I can't find a post despite a good browse. So, could we open a discussion section or similar for cars of a certain age - twenty years or more, for example? Cars where you could lift the bonnet and still have a chance of seeing what's going on - and have a chance of fixing it if needs-be! Just a thought. Cheers, Paul

Sounds like a good idea what about calling it "Modern Classic and Vintage Mercedes" or something like that :)

See if you can drum up some additional support from other members and I will also post in the moderator section.

The old gits garage would be more apt,and I would love to see it happen:thumb::thumb:

Proper Mercedes.

That should put the cat among the pigeons...

Speaking as an older car owner (I think), do we want to divide up the forum more? I understand performance modding as a multi-disciplinary task, but I can't see much that separates older cars from new in the existing forum sub-sections.

Thumbs down from me. Why this sudden need to divide the forum up?

Not a separation, just another room within the same house - with the door open.

How old is the Forum - sudden?

I don't see the proposal as a divide,more for ease of searching,as at present a lot of trawling is required for older cars and search results bring up many other models.I have given up more than a few times myself.

I don't know about anybody else on the Forum. but for me the operative word is "Mercedes" - I'm as interested in the older models and how their design development led to the current versions. Modding and other forms of 'personalisation' are all based on an individuals 'take' on the heritage & brand - keep it whole.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I'm not suggesting splitting anything, just opening another column where things will be easier to find for the owners of older cars. Folk with newer cars won't have to sift through vintage stuff whilst they are searching for high tech info.

I don't know the age ratio of cars owned - I think I asked a while ago, but I suspect the task wasn't an easy one - but if we can have an AMG section, detailing and such, why not another category that may well prove to be just as popular?

I think that the answer to OP's problem lies within the title of each posted thread.

For example, if a new thread was about replacing W124 wings then the title should reflect this as, "W124 wing replacement" or similar. A title of say, "Pattern parts vs OEM" would be too broad for any meaningful search.

Of course, some topics spread across several models so thought should reflect this.

Some forums insist that Prefix is added to the thread title. The drop down list of Prefix changes depending on the sub-forum. This is only used in the Technical sub-forums.

eg.
Engine
-Clutch
-Coolant
-Exhaust
etc

It would make searching quite a bit for focused.

I think that the answer to OP's problem lies within the title of each posted thread.

For example, if a new thread was about replacing W124 wings then the title should reflect this as, "W124 wing replacement" or similar. A title of say, "Pattern parts vs OEM" would be too broad for any meaningful search.

Of course, some topics spread across several models so thought should reflect this.

I have noticed a trend towards thread titles just being "Attention Seeking Twaddle" and completely irrelevant to the thread content.

Can we just not have a return to meaningful thread titles?

I think there should just be a tidying up of thread titles, some are completely nondescript.

But having said that, the amount of people that start threads like:

"Where doesn't the ECP code work?"

"Why can't I PM someone?"

"Will these Unimog wheels fit my A-Class?"

etc etc that don't have a read before posting always makes me chuckle.

The old gits garage would be more apt,and I would love to see it happen:thumb::thumb:

Just looking at the huge response to a Range Rover sub-forum request makes me wonder a few things.

4000 views and 100+ posts for a start.

Why so little interest in an old garage - good for people who prefer the classics and good for those who don't?

At least they're all Merc's. I have a Landcruiser, but wouldn't expect to find it anywhere else other than a click away with like-minded folk on another forum.

Cheers,

Paul

I have older Mercedes as you know. I would not spend any more time in the old garage than in a newer one.

I just like all the stuff on here either that or I let it pass me by.

Edit.

Oh and I just like a post from 2013. Shows how much attention I pay to most posts.

At least they're all Merc's. I have a Landcruiser, but wouldn't expect to find it anywhere else other than a click away with like-minded folk on another forum.

That's a little unfair because I think it is just showing how vibrant and popular this forum really is; even though people have gone off and bought another marque they (and I'm amongst them) are always drawn back.

Hi,

I don't think I'm being unfair in expecting folk with other cars to follow their interests where they will find more kindred spirits.

Makes sense to me.

Cheers,

Paul

I don't think I'm being unfair in expecting folk with other cars to follow their interests where they will find more kindred spirits.

Have you taken it up with admin?

What did they say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom