one ICE solution for everything?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jpowell79

Car
CLK55 (C209)
Hi guys,

am new to the forum and have just picked up a 2003 CLK55. It has a very basic cassette tape system in the centre dash, and just to the side of it, is an old nokia cradle.

I have a few questions and was hoping someone could help.

I'm looking for a solution which achieves the following:

1. Allows me to connect my iPhone 4 via blue-tooth to the sound system, whereby I can answer calls from the buttons on the steering wheel.

2. Allows me to play music from my iTunes library via Bluetooth.

3. Satnav would be nice, but could live with directions being called out to me from Google Maps on my iPhone (via the speaker system in the car)

Now I've seen a device from visee-o called the MBU-3000 which apparently lets you control your phone from the steering wheel, but from what I've read on the visee-o website, it's suggesting that it won't work with the Nokia cradle I have because it's not inside the arm-rest. It's basically saying that my Nokia phone set-up was an "after market" install?

Out of curiosity, can the unit be moved to the armrest so it is out of the way and not on display?

Can anyone confirm if it will still work even though my cradle is mounted next to the radio near the glove-box?

Also, I'm personally not a big fan of the gold buttons and styling of the MBU-3000.......I've seen the MBU-1000 which is apparently it's predecessor, but actually looks more modern than the MBU-3000.

Are there any major features I would be missing out on if I opted for the older (cheaper) MBU-1000, other than iPhone SIRI?

Another potential option is to upgrade the entire centre unit. I've been looking at the NTG2.5 and NTG4. I would presume the NTG4 would be the most up-to-date, but would that fit into a 2003 CLK?

Also, I think I read somewhere that the NTG2.5 would leave an unsightly gap around the edge if fitted into a "pre-facelift" CLK. Can anyone confirm this, or will it not work at all, and that I would have to get the Comand 2.0?

And is the NTG2.5 "plug-and-play"? i.e. no soldering, rewiring, etc? If it's just a case of taking out a few screws, and un-attaching/re-attaching a few plugs, I would give it a go myself.

Finally, has anyone tried an after-market solution? I have read that Dynavin, Pioneer, and Kenwood are the main ones to go for. Does anyone have any experience on these units, and are they as good as the Mercedes ones? I've heard that the Dynavin MC-2000 will not let you control your phone (answering calls, hanging up) from the steering wheel, although this posting contradicts this - (http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/115176-dynavin-instal-2003-clk-w209.html) Does the same apply to the other after market solutions?

thanks guys

:thumb:Welcome to the forum. When someone says that's a really interesting question - you just know you are going to get a carp answer :devil::D

The answer from me is no - Sorry - but I bet someone here has the answer.

CHEERS and good luck in your quest.

Hi guys,

am new to the forum and have just picked up a 2003 CLK55. It has a very basic cassette tape system in the centre dash, and just to the side of it, is an old nokia cradle.

I have a few questions and was hoping someone could help.

I'm looking for a solution which achieves the following:

1. Allows me to connect my iPhone 4 via blue-tooth to the sound system, whereby I can answer calls from the buttons on the steering wheel.

2. Allows me to play music from my iTunes library via Bluetooth.

3. Satnav would be nice, but could live with directions being called out to me from Google Maps on my iPhone (via the speaker system in the car)

Now I've seen a device from visee-o called the MBU-3000 which apparently lets you control your phone from the steering wheel, but from what I've read on the visee-o website, it's suggesting that it won't work with the Nokia cradle I have because it's not inside the arm-rest. It's basically saying that my Nokia phone set-up was an "after market" install?

Out of curiosity, can the unit be moved to the armrest so it is out of the way and not on display?

Can anyone confirm if it will still work even though my cradle is mounted next to the radio near the glove-box?

Hi & welcome to the forum from me.

Sounds like you've done quite a lot of research already. Any chance you could post a picture of what your cradle looks like? Whilst it may well be aftermarket, some of the factory installs on the CLK were mounted were you've described.

That's step 1.

Jpowell79 said:
Also, I'm personally not a big fan of the gold buttons and styling of the MBU-3000.......I've seen the MBU-1000 which is apparently it's predecessor, but actually looks more modern than the MBU-3000.

Are there any major features I would be missing out on if I opted for the older (cheaper) MBU-1000, other than iPhone SIRI?

Another potential option is to upgrade the entire centre unit. I've been looking at the NTG2.5 and NTG4. I would presume the NTG4 would be the most up-to-date, but would that fit into a 2003 CLK?

Also, I think I read somewhere that the NTG2.5 would leave an unsightly gap around the edge if fitted into a "pre-facelift" CLK. Can anyone confirm this, or will it not work at all, and that I would have to get the Comand 2.0?

And is the NTG2.5 "plug-and-play"? i.e. no soldering, rewiring, etc? If it's just a case of taking out a few screws, and un-attaching/re-attaching a few plugs, I would give it a go myself.

Finally, has anyone tried an after-market solution? I have read that Dynavin, Pioneer, and Kenwood are the main ones to go for. Does anyone have any experience on these units, and are they as good as the Mercedes ones? I've heard that the Dynavin MC-2000 will not let you control your phone (answering calls, hanging up) from the steering wheel, although this posting contradicts this - (http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/115176-dynavin-instal-2003-clk-w209.html) Does the same apply to the other after market solutions?

thanks guys

If you want SatNav and you want it fully integrated then a COMAND retrofit is the way to go.

COMAND 2.0 will fit 'as is' although is a little dated now, although pretty much 'plug & play' you would need to get the car coded (on STAR) for the nav unit to show the instructions in the instrument cluster.

You could retrofit one of the newer units but then you'd need to change the centre dash trim and the Upper Control Panel (switches for hazard lights, heated rear window, parktronic etc). A couple of people on here have done this before.

Depending upon the typer of kit you have (e.g. if it's OEM Mercedes), I'd be tempted to go for a Viseoo with a COMAND retrofit.

As for aftermarket units - afraid I can't comment on that but I can say I've read some uncomplimentary reviews of the Dynavin setup.

Hope this helps.

I too have seen some not very good reviews of the Dynavin setup. I've installed an aftermarket Sony double din into my W210 but am missing many of the factory Comand features. I will be going back to the Comand, and installing an IO Play 2 for Bluetooth streaming and phone.

Like you I use an app on the phone for navigation, although I will consider updating my nav CD for completeness.

I too have seen some not very good reviews of the Dynavin setup. I've installed an aftermarket Sony double din into my W210 but am missing many of the factory Comand features. I will be going back to the Comand, and installing an IO Play 2 for Bluetooth streaming and phone.

Like you I use an app on the phone for navigation, although I will consider updating my nav CD for completeness.

thanks for the comment about the IO Play 2....never heard of them before but will take a look.

So do no aftermarket solutions work with the buttons on the steering wheel, other than dynavin (which gets mixed reviews) ?

Kenwood, Alpine & Pioneer double din systems will work with steering wheel controls, if you do a search on the forums, this subject has been covered to death.

Any of these makes will do EVERYTHING that you need and even TV if you want to go down that road.

All the kit required i.e. facia adapters steering wheel adapters, wiring loom adapters are all available to buy off the shelf, so plug & play really!

Have a google, and try the bay if you do not want to buy brand new.

Thats factory fit.

NTG2.5/4/etc will not go in your car, its either what you have, the approriate Comand 2.0, or complete aftermarket.

The phone system in your car is purely that - i.e no bluetooth audio streaming. YOu can put in a MBU1000 or MBU3000. 3000 has new fast chipset, and suports Siri on phone. MBU1000 is now a very old product.

We have a couple of MBU1000 left: Returned MBU-1000, full warranty & latest software | Mercedes Bluetooth & Phone | Comand Online Ltd
MBU3000 more features shown here: ViseeO MBU-3000 Bluetooth for Mercedes Benz (enhanced MBU-1000) | Mercedes Bluetooth & Phone | Comand Online Ltd

If you want to change out the whole system, and are not fussed about nav, but may want to add later, look at the Alpine 530BT, supports iPhone, iPhone, nice big double din touch screen, can add NAV module later, can add reversing camera too. Lovely reliable units :)

Cheers

Richard

thanks for the info. Can you recommend a good single-din unit that would fit well, and still allow steering wheel controls?

I had a Sony MEX-BT9300u in my corrado and it was fantastic. Could stream audio to it from my iphone, google maps would call out to me, could answer the phone and dial numbers from the unit, etc.

Any way I could get something like this to interface with all the steering wheel controls?

Sony MEX-BT3900U BT3900U Bluetooth®-mp3/cd-hoofdunit met USB - auto-cd- & dvd-radio's | icecat.biz

The more I think about it, I don't actually need a double din.....I can live with my TOMTOM in the car, I wouldn't watch tv in the car, I don't have rear parking cameras, etc, so not really a big need for a double-din.

Just had Halfords fit a Sony 9300 head unit to the Micra, all in about £140. It's Bluetooth, the iPhone 4S works through it perfectly (it claims to take up to 4 phones) and it also plays music via Bluetooth from the iPhone. Not a perfect solution but pretty good for the price.
For Sat Nav I would add a separate TomTom or Garmin, lots to choose from £90 upwards.
Or you could have an all in one Bluetooth Sat Nav pop out screen single DIN unit, top Clarion one is the NZ502E at £699. It would look good fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom