Paddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rubyred

Car
2017 C Class AMG Line
Hi all, I have a 2017 C Class AMG Line and have never used the gearbox paddle shifts, I just put it in D for do it.
Does any body use these paddle shifts, am I missing some thing.
Also if I did use them can I just swap between paddles and full auto whilst on the move.

Hi all, I have a 2017 C Class AMG Line and have never used the gearbox paddle shifts, I just put it in D for do it.
Also if I did use them can I just swap between paddles and full auto whilst on the move.
The paddles can be useful for example, tapping down a gear or two for overtaking or for adding a bit of extra engine braking downhill. The display shows M and the gear number, so M5 or M3 etc. Drive along at a steady speed and it'll revert to D. Holding + will also revert to D.

I use them to force the car into a higher gear when trying to save fuel, mostly leave it in D though.

I drive in C for the vast majority of the time, but I find manual handy when making brisk progress on very winding roads to make best use of engine braking.

Use the paddles to play around a bit . My guess is you will soon find it pretty boring. My C55 V8 AMG has a 'speedshift' (yeah right) 722.6 transmission with paddles and the ability to use the gear selector to change ratios manually with my left hand if I like . I use it now and again . This particular variant of this common transmission is said to be tuned not to upshift/downshift without your input until the rev limiter cuts fuel/ignition .

Either way it's fun to mess with it now and again , but in my opinion not a lot of use .

As an aside I am currently driving a Dodge Charger GT with an 8 speed transmission (3 weeks in now) with the manual option (paddles/gear selector) , my last rental car a month ago (42 days) was a Dodge Challenger . Not the rip snorting Hellcat V8's unfortunately (Avis have them but my free upgrade don't stretch that far post covid).

I messed around with the novelty of the manual option on both for a bit , but it soon gets boring . (same with the Ford Mustangs I have driven)

If you want a manual car , buy one . Otherwise just accept (as I have) the boffins have got modern auto boxes sorted. :thumb:

If you want a manual car , buy one . Otherwise just accept (as I have) the boffins have got modern auto boxes sorted. :thumb:

I'd agree with that. I've lost count of the number of cars I've had that have come with paddles or buttons. I've probably had a five minute play and that's that. Though I do still drive the odd manual and never had an auto until I was in my 40s, paddles just don't compute with me. Around town the box will take over when you're slowing down or stopping and on more open roads I've never really felt the need to take over. Only time recently I can think of was in a Saab 9-5 Aero on the single carriageway sections of the A1. Kickdown was just a bit too nasty on an old 5 speed auto box.

Thanks for all the comments chaps, very interesting to read. Seems like D for do it wins paddles down. Sorry about that.
I will have a go with the paddles though, it’s just taken me three years of ownership to think about it.
Pete, I’m very jealous of your Charger, Challenger and Mustang drives. I was into American cars some years back, I had three older model Mustangs and a C4 Corvette, all autos! No paddles in those days.

I use them in hilly areas on my E350 to get engine braking and with the diesel engine it works superbly.
Try it in the GLA 200 (1.6 petrol) and its a waste of time, just lots of revs and no engine braking.
I love my diesel!:)

Thanks for all the comments chaps, very interesting to read. Seems like D for do it wins paddles down. Sorry about that.
I will have a go with the paddles though, it’s just taken me three years of ownership to think about it.
Pete, I’m very jealous of your Charger, Challenger and Mustang drives. I was into American cars some years back, I had three older model Mustangs and a C4 Corvette, all autos! No paddles in those days.
I get upgraded every time I come to USA/Canada . Before Covid it was Nissan TITAN V8 , Chevy Camaro 6.2 V8 etc . But now most of them are gone . Still some interesting stuff around to have a go in at someone else's expense.

I claim it all back ....especially the fuel used ;)

Good for you Pete, thanks for the imfo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom