• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Parking Ding

OGiii said:
This morning it looked quite obvious so I called the garage and they said they'd come and have a look which they've just done. In the bright sun light it didn't look as bad but he did say that he could see a difference and there shouldn't be one.

Apparently in the Du Pont paint that they use there are 2 shades for Porsche (5 for Merc interestingly). They are going to take the car on Friday and do it again :bannana: using the other shade, they are sure it will be right!

The actual repair is fantastic, well impressed. I could have possibly lived with the shade variation on the nearside but being on the offside you look at it every time you go to the car.

They should have blended the paint into surrounding panels, that way you wouldn't be able to tell as the shade changes.

Nice to hear they are going to re do the work.

£260 isn't too bad a price for a wing repair and paint.

OGiii seems to have taken this incident quite well considering the cicumstances,some idiot carelessly damaging his Porsche and all the associated stress and ££££ of getting it sorted out.
If it happened to me i would be `kin fuming-there are people today who have absolutely no care or respect for other people/property.Of course it could have been an accident and the other driver did not realise the damage..........
The thing is though, that once your car is damaged and repaired like this its never the same again,never "as it left the factory".

Slightly related to this thread:

Since getting an MB with "Nano" paint (I think it's called), I have been wondering what happens when you have to have a panel resprayed. Do they just use conventional paint? I am guessing that Nano paint can only be put on at the factory.

Does anyone know the answer? I would be grateful to hear.

I am still in that euphoric state where I have a new car and nobody has yet opened a door onto it in a car park or - worse - driven in to it whilst it is parked for ten minutes, but (given the number of dents on my outgoing BMW after four years of daily parking) it can only be a matter of time....

Philip

I can remmeber we had a discussion/thread about nano paint jobs in bodyshops and we had come to the conclusion that most bodyshops just do not have the facilites to do nano repsrays as the paint has be heated to a high tempertaure. However, I think somone did say that there is a MB bodyshop in Scotland that does have the technology to do nano paint jobs.

Flash

Thanks for the answer, Flash. I will certainly know to make thorough enquiries wen the time comes (as it inevitabely will...).

Or plan a holdiay to Scotland!

Philip

prprandall51 said:
Slightly related to this thread:

Since getting an MB with "Nano" paint (I think it's called), I have been wondering what happens when you have to have a panel resprayed. Do they just use conventional paint? I am guessing that Nano paint can only be put on at the factory.

Does anyone know the answer? I would be grateful to hear.

I am still in that euphoric state where I have a new car and nobody has yet opened a door onto it in a car park or - worse - driven in to it whilst it is parked for ten minutes, but (given the number of dents on my outgoing BMW after four years of daily parking) it can only be a matter of time....

Philip

Hi Philip,
The 'nano' technology is 'only' the clear top coat. I did write down the temperatures required to actually bake\cure this top coat but cannot recall it accurately. (somewhere between 3 - 400 degee's fahrenheit) Baking any panel to these sort of temperatures with all the trim attached would, I submit be very 'interesting'. I have also read claims that it can be done, but I would INSIST on seeing the bodyshop facilities.

I have read countless threads of owners having their vehicles repaired by bodyshops and the repair has been first class, but the bodyshop could not use the original nano clear topcoat?

I have also read of a US owner who insisted the insurance company 'write their car off because there was not a US bodyshop capable of restoring the paintwork, back to the original manufacturers specifications. Not one of them could properly bake to the required temperatures. There was also severe offside damage.

Regards,
John

hi John,

Hmm, that's pretty toasty. I would be surprised if that sort of temperature could safely be applied to a fully assembled car, too.

I will wait and hope that the need never arises - but be prepared for some close investigation if it does.

thanks PHilip

Brings back memories when my car had the avantgarde strip painted with tealite blue by the bodyshop. My car is tansanite blue and the garage thought i wouldn't notice. Come on...having a bit of Brian's car's colour on mine...They are totally opposite shades of blue.

Flash said:
I can remmeber we had a discussion/thread about nano paint jobs in bodyshops and we had come to the conclusion that most bodyshops just do not have the facilites to do nano repsrays as the paint has be heated to a high tempertaure. However, I think somone did say that there is a MB bodyshop in Scotland that does have the technology to do nano paint jobs.

Flash

oops , ,missed this one.

western mercedes of edinburgh have a nano paintshop in livingston.

This is a great repair and reasonably priced - Which body shop did you use for the work?? My little dent is no where near this dramatic.

Goldfish11 said:
This is a great repair and reasonably priced - Which body shop did you use for the work?? My little dent is no where near this dramatic.
I've replied on your other thread

Diselsman was right!

Looks like the side of my car had been sprayed in a previous live and so the 'localised' repair didn't work.

They blended to half across the drivers door and I have to say, they have done a great job. Very pleased with the result.
repaired1.jpg

repaired2.jpg

OGiii said:
Diselsman was right!

Looks like the side of my car had been sprayed in a previous live and so the 'localised' repair didn't work.

They blended to half across the drivers door and I have to say, they have done a great job. Very pleased with the result.

A much better short term result.

Now to solve your query about the car being resprayed in a previous life ;) ...............

Get a pen knife and gently scrape the top layer of paint. If this come off and reveals another layer oftop coat!!!! Then your car has been resprayed.

If it reveals bare metal, you have pressed too hard!!! :rolleyes: , and gone through the previously painted surface. (sorry about my stupid sense of humour). The paint job looks much better.

John

When geting used cars it is usually a good idea to take it to a bodyshop and get them to measure the paint thickness which will then immediately be able to reveal any hidden secrets about the car. The Stealer's use this method to avoid/refuse warranty claims.

Overall, nice paint job/finish by the bodyshop - full credit to them.

Flash

Just a quicky...
Do you know why they chose to blend in the paint on the door (and presumably other places) rather than keep the re-spray area small around the dent and blend around there?

P.S. Know any good places around Oxfordshire :)
Got a handful of nicks and dings and a pretty scruffy bumper that need tlc
MB didn't want to know about a warranty job

http://cid-7761fb39159aa837.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/New%20folder/132%7C_3288.JPG

Erm...won't embed as image :(
132%7C_3288.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom