PC no longer recognises DVDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
As above, Mrs BTB was prompted to do an iTunes update and the PC now doesn't recognise DVD disks. Audio/data CDs (in the same drive) are fine, but DVDs don't show up at all ... as if no disc is loaded. By that I mean any software (Windows Explorer, Windows Media Player, PowerDVD, etc.) shows no disc present.

Any ideas? This is Win XP Pro, and it's a Philips DVD+ RW drive.

TIA :)

Take a look at this
Might give that a try, although the symptoms are not quite the same (the drive itself is recognised, and works fine with CDs).

Puting "itunes update" and DVD into google gives loads of hits, and the remedies are pretty much what's on the MS site. Itunes dicks about with the registry, namely the entry that's in the MSdocument.

Try System Restore to see if you have a restore point prior to the Itunes update. See if that cures the issue and hence points at the itunes update.

Well, I ran the Microsoft 'Fix It' linked to above. DVDs are now recognised, but still don't play properly. There's no video :(

This would suggest a problem with the DVD decoder?

I have "PowerDVD 5.3" installed, and there's no 'repair' option on this under add/remove programs. I have the original CD (it was pre-installed by Dell) ... may have to remove and re-install?

Any more suggestions?

I had problems of a similar nature a few years ago and downloaded (I am pretty sure) this.

I don't recall having to do anything except download and then all was well.

Thanks for the continued advice chaps.

The machine blue-screened when I shut down last night :(

I've since tried to use system restore but having tried 3 different restore points I get "unable to complete restore - no changes made" every time?!

Mrs BTB also can't remember when she did the iTunes upgrade, which doesn't help!

We hardly ever use DVDs on the PC ... it's just that the kids are being given iPod Touches for Xmas by (very generous!) grand parents, and some recent DVD releases (Ice Age 3, for example) can be copied across.

Try booting in Safe Mode. Keep pressing the F8 key as it starts and then select "Last known good configuration" (or words to that effect).

When Windows starts, delete itunes, PowerDVD and the DVD drivers, then reboot. Windows should reinstall the DVD drivers automatically, thenyou should reinstall PowerDVD. Hopefully that should get you back to where you were, minus itunes. If all is well in his state it's your move re itunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom