Phone Positioning Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrispy2005

Car
W204 C220 CDI
I've just bought a W204 with the auxiliary socket in the glove compartment. I'm used to playing music through Bluetooth from my phone but that's not available on my current setup sadly, I've been told it's through the aux connector. So as not to have a cable draped across my dashboard can anyone please suggest where I can site my Galaxy Note 4 where it's still fully visible, accessible and won't get in the way of the glove box etc?

I recall Mercedes used to do a phone mount I'm sure for this kind of thing that would slot into a drinks holder, is one available for the W204 that I could possibly use?

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help.

In my old W168 I fitted a KUDA leather phone console, it was functional, looked OEM and was a perfect match for the leather interior.

I wouldn't install it in my current A200 though - would look out of period, in my opinion.

If you don't want a phone console, it is very easy to run an AUX extension from the glovebox, down to power socket tray (behind the dash, of course).

Yeah I was thinking of that. At the moment I have my phone stuck on the windscreen with one of those suction cup mounts but ideally i'd like it down by the centre console. It's a pain at the moment as I don't want to run a cable across the top of the dash and I also don't want one being left out hanging when not in use. What the hell were they thinking anyway hiding an auxiliary socket in the glove box? It's bloody stupid putting it in there because no matter what you do you'd have to have a cable hanging out of it.

I was thinking if there was a genuine Mercedes mount for it that fit into the cup holder bit I could just maybe change the head of it to fit the one my Note 4 uses now, that would look in place and tidy then.

Absolutely agree - remarkably inconvenient place for an auxiliary socket, not to mention a female jack.
My Audio 20 didn't come with AUX input, so I fitted one myself, and terminated it with a male 3.5mm jack in the power socket storage tray:

IMG_1110s_zpsrhbxbntm.jpg

Plugs straight into my iPhone, and it sits there comfortably too, although I mostly use the CDC for my music.

Next step would be to fit a powered USB adapter, while keeping a 3.5mm jack too, and play the collection off a USB flash drive.

As to suction type mounts, I really dislike those and never use 'em. That KUDA Phonebase console I mentioned is certainly a much better looking device, but I'm not sure they do them for W204, it's mostly older models...

The idea of it in there is to stop you taking eyes off the road to look over and change tracks I'd suspect. In my w204 I've just got a DAB stick tucked away nicely, all it takes is turning it on before I set off and I can listen to 1Xtra and co to my hearts content :)

Or do as GLK mentioned that would be the only other OCD option, as I'm the same. I hate foreign objects on show, anywhere within the cabin. The only foreign object in there is the tree-air freshener (which I've wrapped/twisted behind the rear view out of sight!) :thumb:

Thanks guys. I've fixed it to the passenger side of the centre console now and it's easy enough to control with this Android voice control malarkey anyway. I just hate the idea of the bloody cable hanging out of the glove compartment. By the way, has anybody ever kept gloves in the glove box? Surely it should be called the s*** compartment coz all of your rubbish goes in there anyway.

I'll have to get a mate of mine who installs hands free kits and ICE etc to alter the positioning of it and have it somewhere down by the gear shifter like GLK has done in the storage tray.

Thanks once again chaps, it's a terrific community here and very helpful. Glad I switched back to Mercedes ownership from Land Rovers. What was I thinking changing in the first place? You don't switch from perfection!

Why not look into getting the phone pre-wiring (UHI interface) installed into the centre arm rest, then adding a cradle suitable for your phone? Call/email comand.co.uk with your VIN, it may be an expensive option but it doesn't hurt to ask!

I have telephone pre-wiring in my S204 with Comand, have a Nokia 6300 cradle fitted, Comand has built in bluetooth so it pairs with wife's Iphone 4, mu Nokia 6300 pairs and charges, but I could use a different cradle for a different phone - although the cradle for the Iphone 4S I may soon acquire is over £100!

I'm contemplating an NTG 4 upgrade in a few months. Found a company that will supply and fit at my home for £850 so i'm happy with that but in the mean time I still can't locate where to select aux on the audio 20 unit. I've got the aux plug in my glove box and when plugging it in my phone comes to life but I can't find it on the stereo anywhere. I've been in disc, system even phone and can't find the option to select aux.

chrispy2005 said:
I'm contemplating an NTG 4 upgrade in a few months. Found a company that will supply and fit at my home for £850 so i'm happy with that but in the mean time I still can't locate where to select aux on the audio 20 unit. I've got the aux plug in my glove box and when plugging it in my phone comes to life but I can't find it on the stereo anywhere. I've been in disc, system even phone and can't find the option to select aux.

Go to where you choose disc/radio scroll down to USB/aux

What company are you having it fitted at? Some of the guys from Comand on here do that sort of work also

£850 is very cheap. I doubt they are adding the extra cooling fan system (that Mercedes wouldn't have bothered to fit if it wasn't necessary), and check they are updating data record at Mercedes (VeDOK) (so when Mercedes do a firmware update it won't stop working) and enabling the Navigation menu and GPS time sync stuff in the instrument cluster, and installing latest firmware and maps on the Navigation system.

Richard

Mate trust me! Listen to Richard!

Pm me if you need, I have recently bought a second hand car! That had a cheep retrofitted nt4. Unknown to me!

Trust me don't bother go to comand and get it done right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always been a Brodit guy, but the Proclip's for my 2010 C Class are only down by the ash tray or Gear stick. I find these get in the way with passengers legs. So I googled around a bit & found another company on eBay that do a similar idea as Brodit but mounts higher on the dash (left of the HU) & you get a direct fit cradle for your phone. £29.95 all in. DriveSaferDirect they are called. May be give them a try.

I'm in a similar boat with a similar car. Currently got an ipod set on random in the glovebox via the aux. Missed having control over tracks especially when you can't skip so ordered ipod integration kit from comand. Wanted an NTG4 but need to save some money first!

A company in Manchester would fit one for £900 without the cooling mod as "we don't need it in this country as it never gets that hot". I politely declined his offer to book it in!!

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom