Pointless features on your Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I haven't looked but is it the hook not on the tailgate and only useable when its open?
Depends on model.
On saloons (E Class at least) there is a spring loaded hook that folds down from under the upper portion of the boot that is exceptionally useful for hanging shopping bags on to stop them rolling about in the boot.

Pointless in the extreme, Dolby pro logic surround sound so you can watch dvd movies with cinema effects, in my silk.
Car is for driving, living room tv/system is for films.
I've never got the point of fancy in car music systems......so much ambient noise etc.

The problem with the current 'ignore' button is that it is member-based. What we need here is to have some AI injected into the forum software, that can analyse the content of posts... accompanied by a new 'Ignore' button that is category-based, e.g. 'rants', 'moans', 'drivel', 'nonsensical', 'rubbish', and 'pure-BS'. ;)
I think AI that blocks conspiracy theorists would be great.

When I used to work in West Africa, one of my friends who was living there for a long time was getting bored... so be bought for himself some sort of ex-Russian military night-vision goggles, and practiced driving back home in the evening with the headlights switched off and wearing the night-vision goggles... :crazy: that was his idea of fun, I guess.
Back a good few years ago there was talk about a Porsche 911 blasting up the M4 around Cardiff in the night , the boys in blue could hear it but were having difficulty catching it , turned out the driver had military night vision goggles and was running with his lights off.

Back a good few years ago there was talk about a Porsche 911 blasting up the M4 around Cardiff in the night , the boys in blue could hear it but were having difficulty catching it , turned out the driver had military night vision goggles and was running with his lights off.

Isn't this what Jackie Chan did in a Mitsubishi Starion in Cannonball Run?

Lots of num nuts out here that don't use them when needed. However, the guidance I've read is that the auto wipers should be in the off position unless you think they are going to be needed. Prevents unwanted wipes on a dirty windscreen. So mine are usually off unless needed.
The automatic activation of the wipers that wipe a dryish windscreen - now that's an intelligent observation because on my Mercedes I have it set to activate, but no more because looking through the windscreen I'm able to discern all on my little own whether the wipers are needed & can even operate the washers before activating the wipers. Mercedes have no idea how clever we owners are.
My wife who drives her car rarely likes the auto lights & wipers because she can never remember how to operate them & when not set to auto she gets a little flustered. I respect that so leave the settings on auto for her & dam the scratched screen on a car neither of us are precious about.

Cruise control, I can’t even see it behind the steering wheel, let alone operate it.
PS I wouldn’t use it anyway.

Cruise control, I can’t even see it behind the steering wheel, let alone operate it.
PS I wouldn’t use it anyway.
Do you need to see and look at your indicator stalk when you signal? Guessing/hoping the answer is no.

CC is Honestly a great feature. The more you use it the more intuitive it will become. I use mine where appropriate and mostly without thinking about it.

If it’s adaptive (like mine) then even better as once you reach the vehicle in front it slows down/speeds up to match its speed.

Give it a try. I’m sure you’ll like it. 👍

Cruise Control stalk is set behind and lower than the indicator stalk on my C Class, I presume it’s the same on
other C Classes. As I say, I can’t even see it when sat normally in the car, most odd!

Cruise Control stalk is set behind and lower than the indicator stalk on my C Class, I presume it’s the same on
other C Classes. As I say, I can’t even see it when sat normally in the car, most odd!
On older Mercs like, say, W211 E Class, the stalks were inverted to that. Used to confuse the hell out of me at first: drive to work in 211. Deliver C or E Class cars all over UK with controls reversed. Return on train, pick up my car, and get it wrong!

An opinion not a judgement as there are those who DO get the point of a decent sound system. Thankfully we are all different & non of us is either right or wrong.
The thread is about pointless features! I didn't criticise, disparage or say I'm right and others are wrong, I simply said I don't get the point of a high-end system. To me, they are pointless in a car with all the ambient noise and more so in a convertible.

If you've you paid thousands extra on a sound system, enjoy!

Screen washers that are timed to miss the wiper arms in the manner of a WW1 fighter plane being able to shoot through the prop swing and not blow the blades off. More pointy than pointless?
Not an MB though - do MB have this feature?

MB wipers have the feature where they start moving before the screen is allowed to get wet from the washer jets scraping dry dust and grit . That REALLY grips my t*ts does that !:mad:

Rant over.
Porsche wipers start moving after a slight delay to allow screen to get wet from washer jets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom