• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Possible EV 🙄🙂

True.. Also, even if you do have something that's worth repairing, where would you get it repaired? The repair shops are long gone, as did the skills.

This is increasingly true even of manufactures repairs under warranty . It doesn't matter whether it's a car or a washing machine, the product is now so complex they don't always have the ability to do a repair in a timely or cost effective manner. I know of a case where a brand new LG washing machine failed and after 3 engineers visits the family was without it for nearly two months. How it wasn't more cost effective to give them a new machine I don't know. Tip: if you are thinking of buying anything made by LG do your research first because the UK support looks to be truly appalling.

Sadly it's also largely meant that DIY repairs are no longer possible. There was a time when I would delve in to a washing machine and be able to fix it but that's long gone..

…..Sadly it's also largely meant that DIY repairs are no longer possible. There was a time when I would delve in to a washing machine and be able to fix it but that's long gone..
That’s a great point. As a kid I remember my dad being the fix it hero. He could mostly fix anything but as household goods became more complex he struggled. Same with cars I guess. ☹️

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/195776/tesla-model-s---ev

First fallout from the new ICE reprieve? The underwriters will come back into the market when EV vehicle numbers make it more profitable/necessary---in the meantime EV insurance may require EV manufacturer support?

Last edited:
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/195776/tesla-model-s---ev

First fallout from the new ICE reprieve? The underwriters will come back into the market when EV vehicle numbers make it more profitable/necessary---in the meantime EV insurance may require EV manufacturer support?

Oh they'll insure them alright... it's just a question of cost. At current they're pausing to get enough data to recalculate the risk. Then they'll come back with sky-high premiums... It will be interesting to see what other underwriters will do.

Last edited:
Good advert for the MG here, Man ‘kidnapped’ by his runaway electric car – forcing him to call police
Well it is Chinese, best wait a decade or two.

Interesting.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Kevin Nicolle at the end? This is all I could find:

Sounds like a great way to escape a serious prosecution for speeding...." It was not me, it was the car!".....hmmm.

Yep, this has happened a few times over the years with ICE cars. So certainly not exclusive to EVs or MGs
for that matter. 🙄🙂

That been said.... you'd expect EVs to have a clean-slate design which will rid us of some of the traditional maladies of ICE... not perpetuate them :doh:

That been said.... you'd expect EVs to have a clean-slate design which will rid us of some of the traditional maladies of ICE... not perpetuate them :doh:
Agreed, but sh1t happens as they say, is owt perfect?
My point is it's not only EVs.🙂👍

BTW removing the key fob from the car didn't work because cars with keyless ignitions system don't switch-off when the key is removed (though you obviously won't be able to start the car again once it has been switched-off).

As a test, let your missus carry the fob in her purse then drop her off at the train station and as your dashboard starts complaining shout after her 'Come back! Come back!" *

* Purley hypothetical example - you should not assume that this has ever happened in the MJ household :rolleyes:

My boss let his wife drive his Golf home from Chichester to Bridport......but had the key in his pocket so when she stopped for food on the way home that was it!!!

There's a bit more detail on the runaway MG incident on the BBC report ... the police got him to throw the keys in through their van window as they drove alongside:

The main issue with EVs is that everything is likely to be 'fly by wire' (both power & braking), so a software or hardware glitch has the potential to be a big problem. With IC if the engine won't shut off it's much less likely you'd also lose the brakes and/or be unable to change gear.

There's a bit more detail on the runaway MG incident on the BBC report ... the police got him to throw the keys in through their van window as they drove alongside:

The main issue with EVs is that everything is likely to be 'fly by wire' (both power & braking), so a software or hardware glitch has the potential to be a big problem. With IC if the engine won't shut off it's much less likely you'd also lose the brakes and/or be unable to change gear.

A fighter pilot once told me: you can do all sort of clever things to disrupt a sophisticated surface-to-air missile, but there are no countermeasures that work against the simple shell from a ZSU 23mm AA gun.

What percentage of MG EV cars have been affected by this problem- say ----- as opposed to MERCEDES ICE models that have suffered dangerous rear subframe corrosion failure? ;)

What percentage of MG EV cars have been affected by this problem- say ----- as opposed to MERCEDES ICE models that have suffered dangerous rear subframe corrosion failure? ;)
Yeh, but don't you know, EVs are the work of the Devil himself. 👹😉🙂👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom