• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

pub conversation

srtaylo0

Car
A170 cdi
in the pub the other night a friend was discussing his next car.....

he's spending around 10k and his options are

c220 cdi class - 53 plate
x type 2l diesel on a 55 plate
3 series bmw - a diesel but as yet has not seen one

he was doing a spot of test driving at the weekend - so dunno what he's gone for....

just wondered what folks on here would buy ?

for me .... the bmw says tosser
jag - you'd just loose too much money.
and the merc - well ok maybe its not as nice to drive as a bmw but hey....

I hate to say it but I would not dismiss something like this

Last edited:
Does he do high mileage and require a diesel?
I recently bought a CLK320 O4 with 39K on the clock for £13995 as under the current climate no one wants large engines. I'm getting 29MPG which I think is very reasonable and have a great car for approximately £3500 below what it should have sold at.

X type are a lovely drive, plenty of toys, best value and cheapest to run. The 2.2 diesel is a great engine too.

The BMW has to be the best of the 3 but I've heard of turbo horror stories and they ain't cheap to fix apparently.

I guess the C class would probably be the best all rounder.

I'd be happy with the C220 and as an alternative choice a Saab 9-3.

Does he do high mileage and require a diesel?
I recently bought a CLK320 O4 with 39K on the clock for £13995 as under the current climate no one wants large engines. I'm getting 29MPG which I think is very reasonable and have a great car for approximately £3500 below what it should have sold at.

mainly commuting.. think he lives about ten miles from work - he does a fair bit at the weekend..... i guess around 8 to 10 k a year... but he's like me - proper tight yorkshire man :D

x type = mondeo = rubbish

...and there was me just about to sing their praises. :)

If you're not a badge snob the Mondeo would be the best value but the Jag would feel alot more special.

I'd go as far as to say the build quality of the Mondeo isn't far off the older C Class Merc, and its a better drive!!! :devil:

My old man must have owned 14 of the things (Ford company car changed every 6 months) until he moved to S-Maxs and Galaxys and they were all excellent motors.

...and there was me just about to sing their praises. :)

If you're not a badge snob the Mondeo would be the best value but the Jag would feel alot more special.

I'd go as far as to say the build quality of the Mondeo isn't far off the older C Class Merc, and its a better drive!!! :devil:

My old man must have owned 14 of the things (Ford company car changed every 6 months) until he moved to S-Maxs and Galaxys and they were all excellent motors.

Its an interesting point I've owned fords in the past - I must admit my mkII xr2 was a lovely piece of kit - great fun and it held up better to the hammer I gave it than my a class would !
if you just took it at face vale then 10k buys you more practicality than the list of three... but he likes his flash motors.....

cheers
simon.
ps i'm reviewing a boring spec and this making for a better read :)

whilst good value for money - it has serious style issues.... jus cos james bond drove a mondeo, it doesn't make it cool !
:D :DI have NEVER worried about what anyone else thought of my wheels.

Each to their own and I quite like the top of the range Ford cars.

regards
Cool John

Its an interesting point I've owned fords in the past - I must admit my mkII xr2 was a lovely piece of kit - great fun and it held up better to the hammer I gave it than my a class would !
if you just took it at face vale then 10k buys you more practicality than the list of three... but he likes his flash motors.....

cheers
simon.
ps i'm reviewing a boring spec and this making for a better read :)

Have a read of this thread about the Merc and Bimmer:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=54226

Cheers

Chris

No auto

I seriously looked at Jags a couple of years ago. There is one factor that ruled out the X-type diesel for me, which I felt meant that it could not compete with Mercedes, BMW or Audi: no auto-box.
I believe they have now started making it an option on the newer 2.2 diesel, but if your friend wants a diesel automatic on that budget, an X-type will not deliver.

mainly commuting.. think he lives about ten miles from work - he does a fair bit at the weekend..... i guess around 8 to 10 k a year... but he's like me - proper tight yorkshire man :D

At 10K a year a 3L Petrol driven sensibly will do high 20's to the gallon a "L diesel would do high 40's on current fuel prices that equates to approx £1200 a year for Diesel and £1850 for Petrol add an extra £200 for the higher road tax and a 3L petorl will cost approx £850 more to run a year I saved £3500 by buying a petrol and think it is worth considering as a option he will get more for his money.

This is great value for money alternative to the norm currently on auto trader
2005 SUBARU LEGACY 3.0 R Spec B Auto Saloon

Price:
£9,500

Sorry could not work out how to link to it!

The Legacy is a bargain - and well rated by the motoring press. A diesel is imminent but not currently an option secondhand.

Motorhouse in Cannock had one for months and months - probably still do - really nice car, albeit more subtle than the usual prestiege brands. I tried to get my parents to have it in fact!!

The Merc is a 2003 so not galvanised and frankly not worthy anyones money. The X type has to be ruled out because of unreliability (seriously troubled car) The BMW has an image problem but is otherwise a reasonable car.

Its not really a good choice.

What about adding other cars to the options?

Ive got a Subaru Legacy 3.0 Rn for sale and i tell you the amount of car/toys for the money is ridiculous.
It puts a lot of our V6 to shame too.. its super quick..

How about a Saab 9-5 (ok a vetra underneath) but lots of toys and either a 2.2d or 3.0d, brother had the Aero Hot estate and it had every toy under the sun.

Depends what he needs room wise but the Xtype / c class type cars are quite small, especially in the back / boot space

What millage doe he do?

Current choice no brilliant and I'm not sure I would have either.. the BMW probably is the 'best ' on paper but then its still a bmw...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom