R230 SL 350 knowledge

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The R231 is turbo charged hence better performance figures/economy.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

There are both 3.7 and 3.5 engines in the R230, SL350. The 3.5 engines are in later cars.
They are the ones that suffer from timing gear problems.

Would you advise staying away from this particular SL350, is there a way of testing or knowing if the timing gear is about to cause a problem.
I have revisited the dealers, here is a picture of the one I am considering.

SL350 .jpeg

I went for a 3.7, specifically because the engine s bombproof. The 7G gearbox, in the 3.5 can also be problematic.

The VIN range for the affected timing gear problem is available on-line so you can check if you're perspective purchase is in the range.

Is that the one listed at nearly 20k??? Just to add for 650 more you would get this, £300 of which would be saved immediately on the road tax alone £555 versus £230

Saved Adverts

Would you advise staying away from this particular SL350, is there a way of testing or knowing if the timing gear is about to cause a problem.
I have revisited the dealers, here is a picture of the one I am considering.

View attachment 86183
That's quite a lot of money for facelift R230 SL350. Personally I would look for a pre facelift 2007 year car, much nicer looking than the facelift and you should get a nice one for about £12-£13k

less than 20k was the starting price for this SL350 2011 with 70k miles, so what should I hope to get it for if 20k is too much

less than 20k was the starting price for this SL350 2011 with 70k miles, so what should I hope to get it for if 20k is too much
Hi slic350, I am fairly new here and I've only just caught up with this thread but can chip in a little based on my research and buying experience. I bought a 2007 R230 SL350 in March after getting a lot of advice and info. from the gurus here. Later r230s have a 3.5L engine. The timing chain issues occur in engine numbers up to 2729..30 468993 so check this on V5C certificates. ABC suspension which was an expensive and therefore rare option is also something to avoid according to the experts. However, I have not been able to establish whether ABC problems are associated with high mileage or old age or both. I am delighted with my R230, so much so that I am tempted to go for a facelift version or even an R231 one day soon. Maybe the guys here can comment onpros and cons? If you arfe still looking for an SL, ask sellers to send you the VIN number so that you can see the original spec. and check it out at Mercedes-Benz VIN Decoder

I had a 2008 E350 with the same engine, and that was after the range of the (possibly) problematic engine numbers - well after, in fact - so it seems unlikely a 2010 car would be at risk.

I wouldn't pay £20k, or anywhere near, for an R230; I should want an R231 for that sort of money.

If you want an R230 SL350, unless it is most important to you to have the latest possible registration plate, Flowrider is spot on; a late pre-facelift R230 on the same sort of mileage, provided the engine is outside the problematic range, would look better, be much better value for money, and be just as nice to drive.

I had a 2008 E350 with the same engine, and that was after the range of the (possibly) problematic engine numbers - well after, in fact - so it seems unlikely a 2010 car would be at risk.

I wouldn't pay £20k, or anywhere near, for an R230; I should want an R231 for that sort of money.

If you want an R230 SL350, unless it is most important to you to have the latest possible registration plate, Flowrider is spot on; a late pre-facelift R230 on the same sort of mileage, provided the engine is outside the problematic range, would look better, be much better value for money, and be just as nice to drive.
Hi folks. Is there anything not to like about the facelift version other than the front end, in some peoples eyes? I am close to selling my 2007 car and contemplating a facelift model. Any warnings/alerts? Thanks. Gareth

IF it is one of the few 350s with ABC, that could be a factor. I think they dropped the SBC for the facelift, but even if not, there's nothing other than the looks much different from the pre-facelift.

IF it is one of the few 350s with ABC, that could be a factor. I think they dropped the SBC for the facelift, but even if not, there's nothing other than the looks much different from the pre-facelift.
Thanks for the info. E55BOF. Gareth

The R230 SL350 is a 3.7l V6, the R231 is a 3.5l V6. I would ignore the mpg figures quoted on the R231 site.

In the UK.... UNTIL late 2005 / early 2006 , the R230 SL350 was a 3.7l V6 245bhp

In 2006 the 272bhp R230 SL350 was introduced with a 3.5l V6 272bhp.

So you can buy 2006 and 2007 R230's with a 3.5 bhp -which does NOT have the timing chain problem. (And "I believe" the timing chain issue was resolved in production on the R230's before the change of engine).

It's an important nuance about the SL350, because the updates transformed the performance of the SL350

Here are two reviews from early 2006 summarising the changes:

Mercedes-Benz SL 2006 Road Test

Mercedes-Benz SL350

car_photo_26179.jpg

I believe all R230s were fitted with SBC, which was dispensed with in the R231.

That could well be the case, but SBC units are much cheaper than they used to be, and with a car on only 70K the unit is very unlikely to be anywhere near the end of its service life anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom