Radio controlled cars - info/opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just had a quick look on ebay, and if your heart is set on electric, i would reccommend this E-Savage for £199 - its Ready to Run (RTR) which means its already built, and all your radio gear, batteries and charger are included.

Half the fun is building them :D - I remember helping my dad build a Superchamp when I was about 5.

Had both as a kid.

IC models are incredibly quick, a pain to maintain and can be a pain to start, no reverse also iffy.

Originally steered clear of electric, however, got the first one and lordy lordy that was f quick as well (not as quick) and was quite big/heavy enough to smash your ankle were your to clonk it at full tilt.

my humble??? IC is for dedicated and long term enthusiasts, go for Electric certainly if little people are involved ...

Think I'm going to go for electric and if the hobby takes off then maybe I'll go buy a fuel one for myself to race with my son. :D

Just hope you dont get the bug. I race 1/18 scale electric & for fun have a 1/5 monster truck.
paul%20slater%20rc18t.jpg

A photo of the monster sat on the bonnet of my last c class then you can realise how big the subaru is:eek:
mtmerc.jpg

I was hoping that I wouldn't be spending anymore money but saw this & just had to have it.
IMG_0492.jpg

1/5 scale 26cc race tuned 2 stroke petrol engine with 4wd.

A photo of it next to my monster truck
IMG_0497.jpg

Last edited:
Hello

Whats the 1/18 electric car?

I'm thinking of getting a smaller car for taking with on 'family days out etc..' the savage is a bit big with all the kit that goes with it.

Cheers

Hello

Whats the 1/18 electric car?

I'm thinking of getting a smaller car for taking with on 'family days out etc..' the savage is a bit big with all the kit that goes with it.

Cheers

Its a rc18t. In the photo its in its carpet setup.
I also have a set of rc18mt wheels for it that make it into a mini monster truck.
Its great fun with a 6800kv brushless motor & the monster wheels.
I'll try & get a photo of it later with the monster wheels.

Is this the sort of thing?

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?productId=0000000070

How long does the battery last ?

What sort of fast charger can you get for a second battery..

Been years since I have had electric (Tamiya Grass hopper?, Subaru, etc etc)

Yep thats the one.

This is the monster version (wheels & body different).
http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?range=RACING&productId=0000000071

There are better 1/18 models that are just suited to off roading but mine gets used for off road/carpet hence the rc18t.

I had a Team Losi mini lst, 1/18 truck before the rc18t. That was a great small monster truck (apart from the gearboxes are a bit weak) but it was useless for carpet racing.
http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB0215

With the 5400kv brushless motor with a cheap 1400mah battery pack it will run for 10-12mins. With the more powerful 6800 motor a little less.
The battery packs are easily changed, cheap too & a fast charger will take 20-40mins.

Hi Ratz

What did you end up going for??? My 9 year old son wants a Savage and i am torn between fuel and battery new or secondhand.

I would go battery for kids to be honest, nitro can be a pain to set up and kids aren`t that patient! I`m into 1/5 scale 2 stroke, got a car and a buggy, couple of helicoptes and 2 boats. Just bought a Drift Car. they are serious fun but hard as hell to get the hang of!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rec6SeUJm9s

Bob

The savage is an awsome bit of kit, thing is with the Nitro cars they are like real cars if its not used for a while or kept in good condition it goes off tune etc

The brakes and throtle also need minor adjustment every now and then,

Then there is the fact it takes nitro fuel, messy and smelly (if little 230k wants it in his bedroom)

You do also need a big area for a savage, it can do close on 40mph !!! its very quick.

Too be honest at that age I would go electric a lot easier and buy two batterys one can be fast charging while you use the other.

I started with Tamiya stuff and they are ACE, then moved on to now having the savage .25

I would tend to if you can go for new, as you don't know how a second hand one has been treated, just like a car you don't want to end up with a bad one. If you stick to one of the makes such as Tamiya and not a HK special you can also get all the parts.

Great fun

I flew IC powered planes for 25 years - all electric now.

Hi Ratz

What did you end up going for??? My 9 year old son wants a Savage and i am torn between fuel and battery new or secondhand.

I went for an HPI Firestorm, which is a 2WD off-road affair, electric based. Bought 2 high capacity batteries with it which give me about 30 mins of flat out running on long'ish grass. It's more than quick enough (20mph) and fun being 2WD. Also it's survived a couple of hefty shunts into kerbs and the like without any ill effects.

Total cost around £200 (new and included in car charger too!).

wow i love RC cars

this is what ive got

cost me best part of £300 for quick charger/batteries/ltd edition gold version/ ball raced

tamiya49459.jpg

probably used it 3 times in 2 years

Buying an electric one was a good choice for a youngster. If he (or you!) get the bug, buy a Savage. They're great fun.

Attachments

• e838_1[1].jpg
    e838_1[1].jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 65
Ive had both kinds for years, i'd buy an electric one, a good one will be as fast as a nitro one and more economical to run, extra (decent) batteries and a good peak charger will keep you running all day, and what people forget with nitro is that most cars will get through a tank of juice in ten mins so you have to stop almost as often as with batteries anyway.

Nitro cars are harder to look after, they need retuning depending on the humidity on the day your using them, and should be cleaned out before being stored as the fuel contains water and will rust out an engine if left in it for any length of time.

Nitro cars will also annoy people with the noise and you may find you get moved on if you use it where there are other people (the park or the beach for example) if you really want an IC car, i'd save up a large chunk of cash and buy a big 2 stroke model, they are far easier to look after and the fuel is cheap (compared to nitro) and you'll get 4 or 5 times the run time.

A monster truck will run on almost any terrain and look more impressive than a buggy.

Something else people always forget, go into your local model shop and see what they stock spares for, nothing more annoying than having to wait for a part to come through the post when you had planned on a day with the car and would have been able to just pop up the shop if you'd bought a different one.

in feb it was pitch black outside and so foggy you could only see about 10ft in any direction

me and my daughter sian got one of my led torchest and taped it to the top of the the lunchbox and it was good fun

ive done a video but its too long for youtube

My Monster GT was great, and squashed Savages for fun, gave it an extra fuel tank and used to win open monster truck races quite easily till another one turned up, wide and stable and half the fill ups per race. :D

DSCF00106.jpg

truck02.jpg

One of my favourites and strong enough to have survived about 15 years of abuse is still my old Tamiya Nissan Kingcab, mjst get round to painting it one day. :D.

DSCF0002-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom