Rattle noise at startup.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've lost count on the amount of chains we have done recently. My favourite one was my own Viano. Engine out job.

I've lost count on the amount of chains we have done recently. My favourite one was my own Viano. Engine out job.

Interesting that, Just wondering what sort of milaege you are seeing on the cars and vans that need this doing? Is there any commonalities between vehicles in terms of service history, neglect, mileage etc..

Or maybe its just a servicable item on these OM651's?

Highly blamed on Stop Start , time to pull that fuse !

What fuse is that ?

It can't be the same fuse as my gearbox would be dead + my iCarsoft would tell me a transmission fault code .

And that would include people with dead auxiliary batteries..

Last edited:
Definitely not that fuse...!

Interesting that, Just wondering what sort of milaege you are seeing on the cars and vans that need this doing? Is there any commonalities between vehicles in terms of service history, neglect, mileage etc..

Or maybe its just a servicable item on these OM651's?
Some people on this (and other forums) have suggested that the timing chain issues are caused by the ECO Start/Stop feature due to the rise in time chain issues being correlated to the introduction of the ECO Start/Stop feature by Mercedes Benz.

However, I have personally suffered two premature timing chain failures which were finally cured by Mercedes modifying the oil flow delivery mechanism. This occurred on a car without the ECO Start/Stop feature, therefore, based on my personal experience, my opinion is that while there may be a perceived correlation of timing chain issues with the ECO Start/Stop feature, I do not believe that ECO Start/Stop is the cause of the premature timing chain failures.

I have not heard of any timing chain issues in HK, and I wonder if the cold starts could be a contributor to the premature failures? Here is an interesting short video explaining the difference between correlation and causation.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So you think OM651 has an oil flow issue .

Glad I'm using higher anti wear oil than 229.51.

Can`t understand MB`s thinking. They used the absolutely reliable duplex chained OM611/646 engine up to 2008.
I have been considering a W204, but the207/208ers are plagued with the rear subframe rot business. Can`t win.
I`ve had Mercs since the 200/8 and 220/8 days and those cars were engineer/mechanic designed. Ran forever.

So you think OM651 has an oil flow issue .

Glad I'm using higher anti wear oil than 229.51.
For the avoidance of doubt, no, I don't have any evidence of the oil flow or Start/Stop causing the premature timing chain failures on the OM651.

I was merely sharing my own experience with one car that suffered two timing chains. Strangely MB decided to replace the chain under warranty and threw in the modified oil flow mechanism to the timing chain area, after which the timing chain lasted over 100k miles.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I believe the oil flow might relate to the tensioner which I understand is a revised version fitted on new chains/tensioner parts from mercedes.

The OM651 is a good engine.. And the timing chain isnt the big deal everybody makes it out to be.. If it rattles change it, if not carry on and change the oil regularly..., there are MANY worse cars out there, check out the Nissan nivara if you want to see timing chain issues....

If the rattle goes away after a few seconds' running, surely that's an indication that the timing chain tensioner, not the actual timing chain, is the root cause of the problem? On the early M157 there were similar problems, and MB produced modified tensioners and check valves, basically to stop the oil in the tensioner draining down when standing, to solve the problem. I don't think they changed the design of the timing chain itself.

Last edited:
If the rattle goes away after a few seconds' running, surely that's an indication that the timing chain tensioner, not the actual timing chain, is the root cause of the problem? On the early M157 there were similar problems, and MB produced modified tensioners and check valves, basically to stop the oil in the tensioner draining down when standing, to solve the problem. I don't think they changed the design of the timing chain itself.
It is overdue an oil change?

i'v also heard it can be done without engine out?

Yes it can be done in situ.
Do you replace the cam-sprockets also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom