• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Real World Ownership of a W220

V12

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI LWB
Inspired by a thread on Pistonheads where the owner of a T124 reveals the true cost of running one, I thought i'd share some of my experience of living with a W220 and what it really costs.

Buying

First off, let it be known that i'm in the motor trade and generations before me have also been in the trade. Little scares me when it comes to buying vehicles and I have been known to take risks with buying.

This vehicle was found on Autotrader for a price that was too good to be true. It had an aftermarket grille and terrible pictures but I could make out that the spec was very very impressive for a S320 CDI. Just what I was looking for.

A quick trip up the A3 on Christmas eve and I managed to negotiate a further 20% off the asking price. The vehicle had been between family members almost since new and he had replaced the car with a brand new S Class...always a good sign.

Buying it so cheaply I was well prepared to do lots of work to it.

Somehow I had managed to bag myself a December 2003 LWB high spec S320cdi for almost half what I had originally budgeted.

Initial Assessment

The car was due a service and I was working crazy hours so I booked the car in with PCS.
I asked them to thoroughly look the car over and to do an ATF flush on the gearbox.
Their verdict was that the car was in fine fettle and only thing they picked up on that would need doing soon was the front right suspension thrust arm.
Cost was approx £600

I clocked up plenty of miles over the next couple of months and fitted a pair of thrust arms in about 20 minutes on my driveway.
£150

Modification

I am inflicted with that irrational desire to modify my car. Always discreetly but enough to make it mine. First I had to get rid of the non genuine grille.
An original one was picked up from ebay for £25. The non genuine one was sold back on for £40. :D

I started with the sound system and improved the quality and power of the system without compromising on original looks or functionality.
(excluding this cost as it will be removed and transferred to the next vehicle when it comes sale time)
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/138659-w220-s-class-sound-system-upgrades.html

Next on the agenda were the alloy wheels.
The originals were 17" and SKINNY! I tried 19" and 20" and decided that 18" was the best compromise.
Sourced a set of 18" alloys from a W221 S500 for £350. New continental rubber was £500 was some excellent trade discount.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres-brakes-suspension/137910-w221-wheels-w220.html

Issues

1. The glovebox wouldn't open. 1 hours work to remedy that
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/interior/123830-how-open-stuck-glovebox-adjust-w220.html

2. Sat Nav on the comand stopped working. I bought an updated disc for £50 but the issue was with the antenna. Replaced with a generic antenna which sits under the parcel shelf and works flawlessly.
£5ish from ebay. 1 hours work.

3. Key issues.
About a year after I bought the car the key started having some niggling issues. 1 time out of 10 it wouldn't work in the ignition and this slowly got worse. As the car had the keyless go system I utilised this function for a little while until I had the chance to get it on star. Turns out both my EIS and the Key had different issues.
I bought a key anyway first of all to ensure the diagnoses was correct. £200. The starting was better but still occasionally odd.
The car was still reliable and if the key wasn't accepted in the ignition it would always work on the keyless go system anyway.
I did eventually get the £500 EIS. Installed and coded by myself.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/143961-thank-goodness-keyless-go.html

4. Knocking from front suspension.
A very slight knocking was starting to develop so one afternoon I jacked the car up and had a go with a lever, everything seemed as I would expect and no rattles or play could be located.
I got it up on the 2 post ramp at work and simulated load on off the wheels very quickly whilst using a stethoscope. This identified the ball joint that connects the anti roll bar link to the lower arm. This ball joint is separately replaceable but I figured if this one is tired I may as well just change the complete arm as the others wouldn't be too far behind. I made use of a eurocarparts deal but had to spend over £100 to make the most of the offer. I bought the arm for the other side as well seeing as they were working out at £75 each for quality lemforder items.
£150. 3 hours work to change both arms.
I have heard horror stories about changing these. I didn't find them too difficult, plenty of penetrating fluid. Used an impact allen bit on a 3/8 snap on impact gun and the notorious grub screws came out without too much hassle.

5. Parking Sensor fault.
Rear right sensor started playing up and eventually stopped completely. 10 minutes to change it. Still need to get it painted.

6. Since the intial PCS service I have carried out another 2 services myself.

What's next
The car needs some paint work in a couple of areas.
-Someone reversed into it, cracking the front number plate and leaving a little dent in the front bumper.
-Blemishes on boot lid annoy me
- Various door dings.

Prop shaft doughnuts will be done. I am splitting hairs here.

Button on the Keyless go handle on the drivers door has stopped working.

AC re-gas is on the cards shortly.

I'll be changing the wheels for 18" difda soon as they are 2kg lighter on each corner. My rear continentals are just wearing close to the markers so it's the ideal opportunity.

Driving Pleasure
Having owned the car for 3 1/2 years I would have expected the costs to be so much higher to keep her in tip top condition. She's now at 140,000 miles and feels excellent in every respect.
Most of my mileage is low speed town stuff. It is such a great place to spend time stuck in traffic or on the open road soaking up mile after mile.
Since I started logging my fuel fill ups, I have averaged 32.4 mpg.
On a good run I can crack 55mpg and have even seen 56mpg a couple of times. Usually stick the cruise control on at 70mph.

The ride quality is exceptional, the hushed interior and amount of space has to be experienced to be appreciated.
The handling is not great, it has been much improved by going from 7.5J wheels on the back to 9.5J wheels. There is still a huge amount of body roll when trying to hustle it through tight corners.
The engine is well isolated from the cabin and has all the power I need in the real world.

Summary

The internet is full of horror stories for most cars, but rumours of economy crippling W220s are rife on many forums. My experience of running a 10 year old + one has been quite the opposite. It is one of the cheaper cars i've run. Value for money is incredible. The items that have gone wrong are common across all models, key, eis, ball joints etc. It is a very cheap way to experience a brilliantly refined car.

I have toyed with changing to a W221 many times and have driven more than a few now.
I might be tempting fate by singing the praises of my current W220 but fingers crossed for another 3+ years of trouble free motoring.

Last edited:
Very informative and useful write up. Just goes to show that there is a lot of twaddle on the rumour circuit.

Likewise - just the kind of real time review second hand car users need IMHO.

new wheels looks great

love cubanite silver too

Excellent review and it certainly cuts through a lot of the supposed horror stories of certain cars; the first thing people tend to forget is the original purchase cost tends to affect general complexities and part costs.

Enjoyed reading this thread - thanks for posting

Thanks for posting this. My theory about how the reality of owning some cars differs from the "received wisdom" is that nobody goes to the effort of posting a thread on a forum saying "Nothing's gone wrong with my car today!" hence all the posts one reads are about problems.

Thanks for restoring some balance! :D

Ah, one omission!

The S class is a power hungry beast, especially when you have most of the option boxes ticked, an upgraded sound system and a big turbo diesel engine to crank over.
I never actually had flat battery issues but I could sense that it was turning over a little slowly so before last winter I invested in a Varta Silver 100Ah battery to replace the presumably original MB battery. It made a massive difference to the cranking speed and gave me piece of mind.
Ebay was the cheapest source by a country mile...£85 delivered. Same battery but Bosch branded was almost double the price at ECP.

Some more of my thoughts about ownership that I couldn't contain :
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/driving-incidents-roadrage/142992-1-day-1-s-class-500-miles.html

Many thanks, much appreciated.

I had a 220 320L from new for six years, a great car and compared to the 140 :eek: a pleasure to look at :D.

I put 110k miles on one of these over 2 years so can contribute some real life experience.

At the risk of being accused of talking twaddle I can confirm that here are some expensive pitfalls with this model.

Like all S classes it was a leap forward in terms of technology and remains a complicated car, mine was 4 years old when I bought it and the warranty paid out £7k in the first year of ownership.

I forget all the issues but Airmatic strut failure was a highlight at £1k a corner and the gearbox/TC issue was no laughing matter either. By 140k miles a raft of smaller issues were evident all of which are well documented on this forum and others.

Maybe I was unlucky or maybe my high mileage emphasised issues that would have taken a lot longer to show if normal mileage was being completed. Either was it really was a brilliant mile-muncher albeit prone to breakage.

As an aside it never actually broke down although injector problems did mean that I had to carry a can of that jet fuel aerosol stuff for those days where it needed helping hand.

Thanks for contributing.

What year was your car? I have found that the 2003 onwards car was a massive step up in terms of component reliability. The galvanised body is a massive plus as well.

Fortunately there are economical ways around all the expensive fixes these days.
Arnott Industries for airmatic parts or seal kits are available for DIY rebuilds, Re-manufactured TC at 25% MB prices, etc.

I have experienced complete meltdown on a previous W209 CLK which was the most ruinous car I have ever run. It was also around the 130,000 mile mark that everything possible seemed to go wrong at the same time! It was a december 2002 car so would have been one of the very early ones off the production line.

No problem, happy to pass on some real life experience rather than uninformed opinion.

Mine was a 53 plate so was post facelift, to be fair i never rusted at all.

I had a warranty at the time and was committed dealer servicing and was happy enough for the dealer to do the repairs and claim full retail cost for the work so, you are quite correct, he work could have been done cheaper. I needed the car for business use so anytime off the road was going to cost me dear and the dealer provided courtesy cars were covered under the warranty.

This was over 5 years ago now and around that time I did post on a thread on here detailing the £7k, I appreciate that this could have been halved but I would have been pretty unhappy with a £3.5k bill as well.

I concluded that these are great cars and putting the big ticket items aside I was less than pleased to see all the little things fail such as dashboard pixels, comfort exit, door mirror glass leaked it's dimming fluid, door mirror retract failed, injectors failed, speed sensors failed, I could go on!

I would have another, probably petrol and under 5 years old, glutton for punishment?

Excellent read V12, many thanks for sharing the data and detail. Recently when I was considering a W221 and thinking of V8 I did a lot of searching about to see what I might face depending on age and milage, if your contribution had been available then it would certainly have helped with my decision. Having had a number of MB's including a W126 many years ago I was keen to go back to an S and that is indeed what I have managed to do. Please do keep up the contributions as she ages with you, long term reports I find are always a great indicator. Thanks again, happy motoring.

No problem, happy to pass on some real life experience rather than uninformed opinion.

Mine was a 53 plate so was post facelift, to be fair i never rusted at all.

I had a warranty at the time and was committed dealer servicing and was happy enough for the dealer to do the repairs and claim full retail cost for the work so, you are quite correct, he work could have been done cheaper. I needed the car for business use so anytime off the road was going to cost me dear and the dealer provided courtesy cars were covered under the warranty.

This was over 5 years ago now and around that time I did post on a thread on here detailing the £7k, I appreciate that this could have been halved but I would have been pretty unhappy with a £3.5k bill as well.

I concluded that these are great cars and putting the big ticket items aside I was less than pleased to see all the little things fail such as dashboard pixels, comfort exit, door mirror glass leaked it's dimming fluid, door mirror retract failed, injectors failed, speed sensors failed, I could go on!

I would have another, probably petrol and under 5 years old, glutton for punishment?

Us cheapskates need owners like you to go before us and fix all the problems so that we can have trouble free motoring in a cheap second hand car... :D

Other than the dodgy fuel tescos supplied me with, my s320L cdi has been fantastic and it's now averaging 37MPG (I measure tank to tank mileage to work it out) seriously impressed!
On occasion I have found myself choosing it over the CL55 which has never happened before!!

Not when the ABC is working properly

Great read! I won't tempt fate and say anything about my W220 :)

With ABC and a twin turbo V12 it's virtually a different car! Mine is just a glorified taxi and yours is a bahnstorming Ferrari killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom