• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Reduce oil level warning??

clarea

Car
2005 S320 cdi Limo
I recently bought a 2005 S320 cdi. I drive it daily but I don't do that many miles in it, just short journeys. Today I drove it a bit further but not far and a warning came up saying to reduce oil level. It didn't stay on for very long. Is this something I should worry about? :confused: if so, what do I do! Thanks all :)

I recently bought a 2005 S320 cdi. I drive it daily but I don't do that many miles in it, just short journeys. Today I drove it a bit further but not far and a warning came up saying to reduce oil level. It didn't stay on for very long. Is this something I should worry about? :confused: if so, what do I do! Thanks all :)

Too much oil in the engine

It's been filled by someone with little Mercedes experience - a very common problem. It'll probably be OK if the warning only comes on after you've driven a bit and the oil has expanded, but probably best to get 1/2 litre or so drained/sucked out. If you car has a dipstick, check the level on that - it should be slightly below the 'full' mark.

Oh OK thanks guys. So what's the best way of taking some oil out?

Oh OK thanks guys. So what's the best way of taking some oil out?

Use an oil suction pump down the dipstick tube. Or if you dont have such a pump? take the car to your local independent garage. They should take some out for a couple of quid. Best bet is to take out a litre into a bottle then get ready to put in .5 litre when the car says add oil.

You may also want to buy a dipstick either from Mercedes or ebay. That will help you understand just how much you actually need to remove or add.

You could get a mechanic to loosen the sump plug and drain some oil out.

Yup it has a normal sump plug no need for a vacuum drainer.

You might as well do a oil and filter change whilst your there :)

Any motor factors will tell you it needs @ 6.5 liters

To do a level check you really need an engine oil dipstick. People often overfill their engines with oil [MB dealers included!] they rely on the published oil capacity of the engine when filling with new oil--- THERE IS ALWAYS OIL LEFT IN AN ENGINE WHEN YOU DRAIN IT!!!!!!! up to a litre-- hence the overfill! oil should be added say to "capacity less 2 litres" then it should be topped up gradually while monitoring the level on the dipstick till its correct. Sealey do them or easily found on Ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom