• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Replacing M111 ECU...

Looking against your engine type and VIN, ECU variant coding came in "phased" from Dec 93.

If an uncoded ECU goes in the car that needs a code then "emergency running mode" is set which limits revs to 3,200. Which sort of fits your symptoms....maybe yours is an early coded version? If so, some friendly Merc person will need to look up your car and use the HHT function in STAR to enter the 9 digit code for you.

Assuimng its not that, even a new ECU (uncoded) is supposed to be reset to learn the car - did you do the reset procedure (ignition on; clear faults one-by-one until just 1 blink; press for 6-8 secs; ignition off for >2 secs; ignition on for >10 secs and then start the car)?

This forces the ECU to read the version info for the car (including setting the mechanical "closed" point for the throttle which might explain the "5" code) and select the right maps etc. WIS says to expect issues with one or more of idle, injection and ignition if you don't do this...

Worth a quick try...

Looking against your engine type and VIN, ECU variant coding came in "phased" from Dec 93.

If an uncoded ECU goes in the car that needs a code then "emergency running mode" is set which limits revs to 3,200. Which sort of fits your symptoms....maybe yours is an early coded version? If so, some friendly Merc person will need to look up your car and use the HHT function in STAR to enter the 9 digit code for you.

Assuimng its not that, even a new ECU (uncoded) is supposed to be reset to learn the car - did you do the reset procedure (ignition on; clear faults one-by-one until just 1 blink; press for 6-8 secs; ignition off for >2 secs; ignition on for >10 secs and then start the car)?

This forces the ECU to read the version info for the car (including setting the mechanical "closed" point for the throttle which might explain the "5" code) and select the right maps etc. WIS says to expect issues with one or more of idle, injection and ignition if you don't do this...

Worth a quick try...

wow, thanks a lot for that post! I'll proceed to reset the ECU in about 30 minutes and I'll report back.

If it doesnt solve the 3k rpm cut I'll head to the nearest dealer and ask them to code the ECU... I dont have any other option since I dont have the HHT or the hfmscan/mutiplex cables... :(

lets hope for the best! :thumb:

wow, thanks a lot for that post! I'll proceed to reset the ECU in about 30 minutes and I'll report back.

If it doesnt solve the 3k rpm cut I'll head to the nearest dealer and ask them to code the ECU... I dont have any other option since I dont have the HHT or the hfmscan/mutiplex cables... :(

lets hope for the best! :thumb:

If you do end up needing the ECU coded, be ready for the dealer to ask for lots of proof of both your ownership of the car and your ID before they will pull up the data card for your car and do the coding (they have to prepare and hold a file to show they took proper care so they can defend themsleves if the car ends up being a stolen one - its similar to the process for ordering new keys for the later cars!).

They may be awkward...they will be annoyed because they didn't get the oppotunity to take 1,500 Euros from you for the whole ECU swap job!!

I have not had much time to look but it seems as though you need to have ONE of the following codes input via the Mercedes hand held tester:-

000 050 136

000 048 128

000 050 128

They will know which it is.

I hope I can fix this soon! I love to drive this thing... more than driving my 1991 230CE with AMG Monoblocks and Eibach springs!! :rock:

No wonder - it does have the sport chassis option.

I have not had much time to look but it seems as though you need to have ONE of the following codes input via the Mercedes hand held tester:-

000 050 136

000 048 128

000 050 128

They will know which it is.

Thanks, where do I get those codes? EPC / WIS?

No wonder - it does have the sport chassis option.

Oh yes... As I was writting before, not even the C124 with the Eibachs and 17" AMGs can ride as nice as this Sportline saloon! :rock:

If you do end up needing the ECU coded, be ready for the dealer to ask for lots of proof of both your ownership of the car and your ID before they will pull up the data card for your car and do the coding (they have to prepare and hold a file to show they took proper care so they can defend themsleves if the car ends up being a stolen one - its similar to the process for ordering new keys for the later cars!).

They may be awkward...they will be annoyed because they didn't get the oppotunity to take 1,500 Euros from you for the whole ECU swap job!!

OK no problem, I have all the papers that proves the ownership.. I also kept the old wiring loom and ECU if the guy at the dealer asks :D I think I will get a picture frame and hang both the loom and the ECU in my bedroom... :doh:

Worth a quick try...

The learning reset procedure didnt solve the 3k rpm cut. I'm really leaning towards to the coding that you also refered... tomorrow by 6pm (local time) I'll be heading to the dealer.

How long is this coding operation supposed to last!? Some dealers quoted about 2 hours to do this... :confused:

Just so you guys know wich car are we talking about, here she is, my baby:

barras+_2_.JPG

temp.jpg

barras+_7_.JPG

And these are some test pics with the Coupe's 17" AMG rims:

Mula1.JPG

Mula3.JPG

If the old ECU worked then they would:

Connect Star (using the HHT emulator)
Read the code
Swap the ECUs
Write the code
Reset the ECU to "learn"
Done

In your case they need to use the VIN to call up the required data and then use Star to write it

Hard to see how that could "cost" more than 1 hour....unless they spend an hour arguing whether then should do it or not!

(you still have the code 5 error then? might go away once coded and the ECU is actually operating in tune with your car)

Last edited:
I had a new ECU coded for my car and it took about 20 minutes.

They charged me half an hour at main dealer, with a discount for older car.

I had installed the new ECU and I had exactly the same rev limit problem as you.

It was perfect once coded and has been ever since, about 4 years ago.

I was interested to see from your VIN that the car is Japan spec although delivered to dealer in Portugal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you had it from new ? What is the history ?

If the old ECU worked then they would:

Connect Star (using the HHT emulator)
Read the code
Swap the ECUs
Write the code
Reset the ECU to "learn"
Done

In your case they need to use the VIN to call up the required data and then use Star to write it

Hard to see how that could "cost" more than 1 hour....unless they spend an hour arguing whether then should do it or not!

(you still have the code 5 error then? might go away once coded and the ECU is actually operating in tune with your car)

Yes, code 5 is still there bugging my a$$... :wallbash:

I hope to have it coded later today, after work. :bannana:

Eventhough its not coded, it returned an interesting mileage... from the last 20 liters I was able to drive (city trafic) about 200 kms... wich is OK considering I left it idle a good bit of time after replacing the ECU.

I had a new ECU coded for my car and it took about 20 minutes.

They charged me half an hour at main dealer, with a discount for older car.

I had installed the new ECU and I had exactly the same rev limit problem as you.

It was perfect once coded and has been ever since, about 4 years ago.

I was interested to see from your VIN that the car is Japan spec although delivered to dealer in Portugal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you had it from new ? What is the history ?

Its funny that in EPC the E220 comes associated with the Japanese Market... :confused: I never really got that...?

Doesnt your 220 say its japanese also?

I dont have it from new, unfortunatly. I was 11 yo when the car was built :D and my dad was happy with his W123 240D by that time.

I bought it around November 2006, and in January 2007 converted to LPG. It was running flawlessly but the guys at the LPG center warned me about the loom... :( Still held these 2 years.

Its in desperate need of a respray, the clearcoat is peeling and I just hate to see like that. So, as soon as I get this ECU problem fixed, its headed for a "beauty spa" session... ;)

Update!

Quick update!

Went to the dealer this AM, had to leave the W124.

The recepcionist called me two hours later, telling me that the problem was solved. It was the ECU, needed to be coded, just like some of you wrote!

I wish I could have been there to watch but I had to come to work... :(

So, my 220E is now at 100%, new ECU, new loom! Oh how I missed it! :thumb:

Thank you all so much for all the input, it really shed the light I was needing! MBClub UK rocks! :rock:

Ok, no need. Mine is solved as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom