Resistor in the spark plug end caps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLP 92

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
I purchased a set of Magnecor spark plug leads for my 560 SEC some while back now. The original plug leads had a resistor built into the end caps on the plug end, but the leads i fitted do not have them.

I was having a few bits fixed on my SEC by a very good friend, Talbir (who some of you may have heard of, has plenty of features in Mercedes Enthusiast) and he pointed out that my plug leads don't have them. He's convinced that i would require them as MB wouldn't fit them if they weren't required. He wasn't 100% sure what its for though.

I thought the resistors were there to reduce electrical interference, nothing to do with the performance or running of the engine. Does anyone know what the resistors are for and will not having them affect the running of my engine?

Thanks

They are for reducing RF interference. The caps or plugs may already be resistive in which case you wouldn't need them. On weak ignition system additional resistance can be a problem. New plugs are generally resistive.

Last edited:
jaymanek said:
Talbir is a legend! thats all i have to say!

The man fixed by bumper bracket which 2 bodyshops have tried to fix. The passenger side was hanging 1 cm lower than the right, even on the highest bracket setting. Talbir removed the bracket and modified it to raise the bumper, a tricky job! He also secured the sideskirts which felt a bit loose to me, fixed the orthopaedic seats, realigned the driver's door, replaced the locking mechanism, diagnosed my heated seat fault and will repair my rear blind for me! :bannana: Best part, its free:bannana:

He knows his W126s inside out! His list of MBs inc a fully loaded 500e, 560 SEC AMG, 500 SEC AMG 5.0 32V widebody, 560 SE (only one of its kind, rebuilt a 300SE with a 5.6 engine), 190E 2.3-16V.

His current projects include rebuilding a Brabus 500SEL, an AMG 500SEL, and a 300te W124 (5.6 engine is being fitted)!

Did i mention he has a original Porsche Turbo flatnose as well!

The man is a hero, every time someone whispers W126 in ME magazine he appears like a genie-in-a-lamp, turban, beard and all! :D

EDIT:
I'm not sure if they're the same thing but I ordered a load of resistors for run.exe a few years ago for the man himself and his E500/500E buddies. He gave me the part number and I ordered about 20 of them from MB Whitefield, they were probably no more than a pound each. He said they were to fix ignition issues re: USA vs EU fuel differences.

EDIT2:
Found a pic, from December 2002! :D
trimmerplugs.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom