Road blocks to catch smokers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With an OWL!

And the "perthshire country platter" for mains.

Venison, Pheasant, Salmon, fresh salad, fresh potatoes, Angus beef, all one plate!!!

Love it.

I hate to say if I had a company car, I'd treat it like my own. I'd drink in it in campsites, I'd store all my junk in it, I'd smoke in it, but I would also treat it like my own and maintain it regardless of cost, not spank it from cold, give it kickdowns to clear its sooty exhausts (do people have petrol company cars) and spank it round country lanes, gob out its windaes if I need to gob out

The fact I would treat a company car as my own is a tribute to a future employer that their car would be loved like no other!!!

Last edited:
And the "perthshire country platter" for mains.

Venison, Pheasant, Salmon, fresh salad, fresh potatoes, Angus beef, all one plate!!!

Love it.
ha ha, this is what I had in mind when reading your previous post:
"even the back ones, in a dark september night, in a campsite in Killin"

[YOUTUBE]q_a1wxqloEs[/YOUTUBE]

ha ha, this is what I had in mind when reading your previous post:
"even the back ones, in a dark september night, in a campsite in Killin"

[YOUTUBE]q_a1wxqloEs[/YOUTUBE]

That might have happened, but there was enough drink to wash away the memories

I stopped usin one garage because my MB always stank after a service. However the costs could be used on more important matters.

Beam me up Scotty it's time to leave earth.

It was interesting to read one of Grober's links on the thread relating to Bristol cars

2 LJK Setright "obits" in this thread. LJK Setright - FerrariChat.com
he also liked Morgan 3 wheelers which links nicely to C M's thread. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/105837-chocks-away-morgan-cleared-take-off.html

I also liked the mention of his stance on smoking in cars

"....it is ironic that in view of what killed him, one of his last essays eloquently railed against manufacturers that now offer non-smoking cars. "It is refreshing," he concluded, "that there remain stalwarts for whom driving and smoking - two of the greatest pleasure known to man - are not to be separated."

I think worthy of copying over onto the thread about anti-smoking roadblocks .

Not being a smoker myself , can anyone explain how it is pleasureable ?

I watched it kill my mum , didn't look very pleasureable to me. :dk:

I too watched it kill my dad - twice into hospital following heart attacks , the third one was fatal . I have never smoked myself - but to each his own .

I too watched it kill my dad - twice into hospital following heart attacks , the third one was fatal . I have never smoked myself - but to each his own .

When you smoke it is enjoyable, at least until it starts tasting like s**t and you realize the mistake you are making,. I gave up in 2005 and never looked back.

Is not at all Howard,is just a very bad habit.I did give a for a few years but lately have started smoking a few,no as bad as before though

When you`re going through a rough time,it does feel like it helps calm :wallbash:

Is not at all Howard,is just a very bad habit.I did give a for a few years but lately have started smoking a few,no as bad as before though

When you`re going through a rough time,it does feel like it helps calm :wallbash:

It is not a habit, it is an addiction :thumb:

I just found Setright's discourse on smoking in cars in the archives of The Independent . I think this is a shortened version of the one that originally appeared in Car .

"LJK Setright: The non-smoking car is enough to make you choke

Our Government, should it so long endure, is keen to make smoking illegal in public places. Our Ken is evidently anxious to do it even sooner in London, even if it be theoretically ultra vires - that is, Beyond Our Ken. He seems to think he owns the place.

His attachment to London goes back a long way. The greatest grandfather of Our Ken was the Welsh mystic Glendour Ken, who arrived at the capital when the pioneer aviator King Bladud had just killed himself trying to fly over the city, which in those days was called Trinovantum. He sought the throne but failed, and it was Bladud's son who became King Lear.

Not until Chaucer's time was another takeover attempted, from a half-concealed site on Hampstead Heath to the north - hence Ken Wood, which in Chaucer's Middle English meant Mad Ken.

Now, in making his detailed plans for the prevention of smoking in public places, Our Ken has found that motorists are a source of difficulty. How can the inside of a private car be a public place?

Well, BMW, most public-spirited of all makers of private cars, has offered an antidote - the non-smoking car. They volunteered to omit all ashtrays and lighters from the interior, without actually charging extra (such generosity). This lead was not followed: lawyers suggested that it implied that the interior of a BMW thus took on the characteristics of a public place, which might lead to it being classed as a public service vehicle, inviting pedestrians to jump in and demand to be taken to a tobacconist.

One has to assume that it is to tobacco that the current anti-smoking campaign is directed. It actually started when the famous newspaper boss William Randolph Hearst had a tiff with one of the Virginian tobacco barons, and ordered all his editors to contrive the wretched fellow's downfall.

The poor man is long dead, but the campaign against tobacco smoking has gathered too much momentum to be stopped, even though (as some medicos admit with embarrassment) it can in some respects be beneficial to health. Certainly, there is no question of forbidding all other kinds of smoking: imagine buses, lorries, taxis and diesel cars being penalised for smoking, not to mention incense.

Manufacturers used to take smoking seriously, as once we all did. Rolls-Royce used to make the most magnificent ashtray, though they put it in the wrong place. Even worse was the placing in the Rover 3500, just in line with a ventilation nozzle on the dash: any attempt to discard the ash of a cigar or a cigarette was foiled by a blast of air that blew ash and embers all over the interior of the car. The only people to do it correctly were, as you might expect, Bristol, who set two ashtrays on top of the coaming above the dashboard, so the driver could reach and locate it without taking his eyes off the road. Now lighter sockets seem meant for charging mobile phones, and ashtrays are tinier than ever. Judge, then, my joy when a Lexus IS300 joined the family, and I discovered that with the gearlever in the usual D position, the hand has but to slide past it for the ashtray to be unerringly located.

Too many car-makers seem to have joined the anti-smoking brigade, villains that they are. When a road-test car is delivered to me bearing a sign telling me not to smoke, I can only assume that there must be something wrong with the ventilation system, and I am obliged to mark the car down accordingly.

It is refreshing to note, however, that there remain stalwarts for whom driving and smoking - two of the greatest pleasures known to man - are not to be separated. One came to collect a test car for its makers (whose sticker merely offered "Thanks for not smoking") and, noting that the ashtray had been used, wrote across the bottom of the discharge sheet: "Car been smoked in." Handing me the carbon copy, he climbed in, lit up a grateful gasper, and drove contentedly away. "

Whether or not you agree with him , his writings are always a pleasure to read .

Technically it is illegal for me to smoke in my own van but as the van is my own mobile nirvana and escape from the rest of the world (plus all my own personal $hite) I will continue to smoke in it no matter what they try to do to me. that's what personal transportation is all about !

Not true, it is a psychological habit, there are no physical side effects from nicotine withdrawal, they're all psychologically induced.

So the science would be wrong then?

Modern research shows that nicotine acts on the brain to produce a number of effects. Specifically, its addictive nature has been found to show that nicotine activates the Mesolimbic pathway ("reward system") —the circuitry within the brain that regulates feelings of pleasure and euphoria.

Dopamine is one of the key neurotransmitters actively involved in the brain. Research shows that by increasing the levels of dopamine within the reward circuits in the brain, nicotine acts as a chemical with intense addictive qualities. In many studies it has been shown to be more addictive than cocaine and heroin. Like other physically addictive drugs, nicotine withdrawal causes down-regulation of the production of dopamine and other stimulatory neurotransmitters as the brain attempts to compensate for artificial stimulation. As dopamine regulates the sensitivity of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors decreases. To compensate for this compensatory mechanism, the brain in turn upregulates the number of receptors, convoluting its regulatory effects with compensatory mechanisms meant to counteract other compensatory mechanisms. An example is the increase in norepinephrine, one of the successors to dopamine, which inhibit reuptake of the glutamate receptors, in charge of memory and cognition. The net effect is an increase in reward pathway sensitivity, opposite of other drugs of abuse such as cocaine and heroin, which reduce reward pathway sensitivity. This neuronal brain alteration persists for months after administration ceases. Nicotine also has the potential to cause dependence in many animals other than humans, assuming they were to consume it.

Modern research shows that nicotine acts on the brain to produce a number of effects. Specifically, its addictive nature has been found to show that nicotine activates the Mesolimbic pathway ("reward system") —the circuitry within the brain that regulates feelings of pleasure and euphoria.

Aren't the effects only supposed to be very temporary, approximately 7 minutes. Which is why addicted smokers need another one so quickly.
Isn't it also true that after 24Hrs the actual physical addiction has passed and the rest is the addition of habit.

Dunno. It's prematurely killed two of my staff, one from strokes caused by blocked arteries, one from cancer. Neither was pretty.

I recently quit a few weeks ago after I really started to notice the effect on every day things - haven't felt this good in years!

I don't think it should ever be outlawed to smoke in your car, but it should be illegal to throw butt's out of a window and light while moving (Or at least a nice fat fine). These to me at least are the two most dangerous facets.

The crux of scientific research in this area relies entirely on consumption, as opposed to absorption which has different effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom