Roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

b1n0de

Car
merc C180k
Ever wondered about too many roundabouts in places where these seem to be utterly irrelevant, especially when there is a central white 'mound'
which puts constraint on the motorists on the narrow roads!

One of my pet gripes, drive on the continent and you filter onto main roads, over here A roads are full of roundabouts, my mpg in France is nearly 20% higher than over here.

Norfolk is a prime example, A11, main road in and out, coming back from London I am averaging 38mpg by the time I hit the run of roundabouts, by the time I get home it is back down to around 35mpg as I have not only sat in traffic but the constant slowing down and having to get back up to 70mph again takes its toll.

Then you have the new roundabouts on single carrigways popping up everywhere which just cause traffic jams which were never there before, I am sure it is down to the money left in the pot at the end of the year is not carried over so they think "I know, we could stick a few roundabouts in."

You have to go some to beat the planners in Weston-super-Mare. They removed a roundabout 500 yards from the junction with the M5..Replaced it with traffic lights , added a two lane - into one filter ( all of 15 yards ) , and you can sit and watch the pretty lights change half a dozen times , without getting any further , due to traffic being backed up from the next roundabout. To further improve things , they decided to plant trees and shrubs on most of our other roundabouts , so you do not have to see what traffic is about to ram you. Some bright spark then decided that another roundabout should be illuminated with even more pretty traffic lights. Even went so far as to erect a sign " these light reduce your journey into town by
three minutes". No doubt they do. 90% of the traffic is heading out of town,
including the 500 council employees relocated to Clevedon this year ! doh:mad::mad:

If you're into roundabouts come to Swindon. Home of the magic roundabout. Took my American step father round it when he was over. Should have seen his face. They only have two rotaries in his State.

It is all due to the 'road engineers' thinking that road safety can be improved by complex road 'engineering' design, ignoring the other two E's education and enforcement.

Many years ago in Denmark I commented to a Dane about the relative lack of warning signs etc on the roads.
Their response was, why do you need a warning sign for a junction, can you not see the junction? They assume the driver has a modicum of ability and let the drivers plan their drive from what they can see, not what they are told.
Fewer signs, less distraction, more attention to the driving.

If you're into roundabouts come to Swindon. Home of the magic roundabout. Took my American step father round it when he was over. Should have seen his face. They only have two rotaries in his State.

Ah yes, the wonderous Magic Roundabout - I love it!

A good reason NEVER to take your test in Swindon lol

It is all due to the 'road engineers' thinking that road safety can be improved by complex road 'engineering' design, ignoring the other two E's education and enforcement.

Many years ago in Denmark I commented to a Dane about the relative lack of warning signs etc on the roads.
Their response was, why do you need a warning sign for a junction, can you not see the junction? They assume the driver has a modicum of ability and let the drivers plan their drive from what they can see, not what they are told.
Fewer signs, less distraction, more attention to the driving.

In Holland many urban areas have no signs at all and this actually slows down traffic as they wonder what idiot will be coming towards or at them

Round me there are numerous of these little beasties. Most of South Ken was built on a grid pattern, and as most are residential roads with no obvious priority every junction has one. They would work much better if every road was not packed with parked cars, drivers coming up to them would actually stop behind the white lines, and the tourist and airline buses didn't fill the entire street into which you were turning. Oh, and drivers understood to give way to cars on the right.

Oh and foreign tourists not launching themselves off the pavement without looking the right way for this country.

Apart from that, they're perfect.

I know how much our American friends are fazed by "circles" so I can imagine his reaction. Mind you, I used to get equally thrown by 4 way stops over in the States, I can't count the number of times I've been hooted at trying to negotiate one :eek:.

The MR actually works quite well once you've got your head round it..

Cheers,

Gaz

On the plus side, roundabouts are a good excuse for some rapid acceleration :)

Hi, you lot on the mainland think you've got problems?

Weve only got three roundabouts on the island, 1 proper and 2 blobs and altho people generally get the right of way thing, Its most amusing / frustrating when four cars draw up at the same time. It really is a case of which is my right hand? who goes first?.
All other junctions are controlled with a filter system e.g 1 st to the line goes thro 1st then alternating as we are the island of Lurve after all :rock:

Mini roundabouts, drive over 'em!!!

Gizze: my experience of driving in France does not echo yours, merges onto main roads were better but lots and lots of the things where a cross roads junction would suffice.

Ah yes, the wonderous Magic Roundabout - I love it!

A good reason NEVER to take your test in Swindon lol

Excellent fun, close your eyes and GO FOR IT :devil:

Now if you really love roundabouts go to Milton Keynes. Lovely stretches of dual carriage way interspersed with a roundabout every 1/4 mile. Great for drag racing :D
When they first started building the place you would see skid marks and a fresh patch of sump oil on each one every morning! :doh:

I believe we still have the biggest roundabout in Europe here, great in winter for drifting practice, and in summer for kneedown antics on bikes. It is said you can drive through Glenrothes when its quiet and never need to drop below 30MPH...

I believe we still have the biggest roundabout in Europe here, great in winter for drifting practice, and in summer for kneedown antics on bikes. It is said you can drive through Glenrothes when its quiet and never need to drop below 30MPH...

I think London has the biggest roundabout ... The M25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom