S203 c270cdi rear end rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davynick

Car
C270CDI AUTO AVANTGARDE
I get a little rattle in the rear end of my 2001 estate, sounds like the exhaust
but checked everything as has garage and nothing to be seen, renewes the auto box mounting as it was shot but to no avail, where do I start ? anti-roll bar bushes? which drop links could cause rear end wobble ? ideas ?

Sounds very much like a broken rear spring to me, I had a similar sound, discovered both (!) rear springs broken.
Sean.

C270cdi rear end rattle

Springs looked Ok and garage did not comment on these allthough could be difficult to spot, it's a metal rattling sound but only on a certain stretch of road between home and work( bumpy) I do also have a little vibration in and around the front end interior, connected ?

Hi
It could be the rear handbrake shoes - mine only rattled when going over bumpy roads - the internal levers/linkages were seized and rattling around - all replaced now with new shoes and linkages - noise gone!!! Its worth a look see - good luck

I have been looking for a similar rattle noise coming from my rear n/s looked underneath and can see nothing. It sounds like an exhaust clamp rattle when I hit bumps. on a smooth road all is fine and the car drives without fault. Is this noise associated with a broken spring and can you see it if you look for it without dismantling?

My C270 estate has also regularly had rear suspension noise problems (best described as "ball bearing in a biscuit tin" when going over innocuous ridges, ironwork etc.). The first time it happened (at 42000 miles) it was fixed under warranty (new shock absorber). The second time it happened I had to foot the bill (new shock absorber £300+ excluding fitting). When it happened for the third time a few months ago, it was time to investigate further, since I had learned not to like the look of Mercedes shock absorber prices. It turns out that the original owner had specced heavy duty extra-stiff shocks, and the bush in the lower ring mount had broken under the excessive strain. Two new Sachs standard shock absorbers have now brought the ride back to its smooth original Elegance spec, for the first time in its life. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom