S211 Luggage cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Porsche Macan S, BMW i3
Hi,
The automatic luggage cover on my 05 E Class estate seems to have gone on strike! I remembr something about certain convinence features not working if the battery voltage was low, but the whole car lights up like a Christamas tree when I press the key, so I don't think that is the problem.
Nothing in the manual talks of de-activation or trouble shooting, does anyone have a similar experience?

I've have got the same problem - did you resolve it without going back to dealership?

Mine stopped too on a couple of occasions but it has been okay for some time now. Magic, healed itself.

i had the same thing on my s211 , often started clicking.

one of the many faults i passed onto its new owner.:D

Mine has been intermittent for about 18 months now but typically worked every time it has gone in to the dealer, even though it may not have worked for two weeks or so prior to going in. It has been getting worse and hasn’t worked since it came back from the service over a month ago.
I presume there is a sensor somewhere that detects when the cover is in place as I don’t remember the mechanism moving when it was rolled back. E.g. it comes down after it is first removed but then stays down until it is put back in. Can someone with a working one confirm this?

After a bit of fiddling around, I seem to have got the darned thing working again. But the reports of intermittent failure sound worrying. Does anyone know where/how the sensor works? Is it a known problem that the dealers can tackle?

Faulty automatic luggage cover on my w211 E Class estate

I know the original post is old but I now have the same problem. Did anyone ever get this solved?

I know the original post is old but I now have the same problem. Did anyone ever get this solved?

Mine still does not work most of the time despite being reported at every service :( . I will probably replace the car this year and I doubt it will be another Merc because there have been too many faults.

Thanks for looking TV, i've looked everywhere and haven't found a thing. Not even too sure if there is a fuse for it or whether it does work by a sensor.:crazy:

My problem has managed to get sorted. For others benefit and future reference i'll put down what i've learnt.
BTW, still not sure whether there is a fuse.

Take off the Cover (with the Hazard symbol) and also the fuse cover in the boot (passenger side). All fuses were checked to see if they were 'visibly' blown. I then took off the carpet type thing that hides all the wiring. There are two black wires which lead up to behind one of the hinges for the auto load cover (ALC) into the microswitch. This can easily be seen. All i did then was to check the wires weren't loose (tugged down to make sure and then pushed connector into switch again). I then connected the ALC and then shut the boot and when i reopened, the whole thing was operational. I have been told there is a motor in the roof lining which sits in the middle right at the back and sometimes that causes problems.
Must also remember that when checking to see if you have fixed it you'll have to shut and close the boot to see if its working. It doesn't suddenly start to work if you've already got the boot open. You must shut and open.

We had our car in at least 5-6 times trying to get this problem fixed. On the final visit, they kept the car for more than a week, and ended up replacing every conceivable part known to man (one at a time) including the SAM and a bunch of other control units. Turns out that some part was reversing polarity (don't have details on me right now) and as a result the roller either wouldn't work at all, or would start and then immediately stop...

Mine is intermittent and it is because the micro-switch located on the left-hand side runner fails to detect that the cover has been pulled into place. In fact, you can hear the micro-switch click to register the cover and I have found that, if you don't hear the click, the cover stays down (since the winders do not run up and down unless the cover is deployed.

I suggest checking that the locating pins on the ends of the cover are clean and moving freely. Also check the engagement slot is clear. I imaging that most faults are to do with the system failing to detect the cover is deployed rather than because of motor or winder failure, fuse, SAM, etc.

Philip

Automatic luggage cover

After reading all of the suggestions regarding faults on the automatic luggage cover which I also have problems with. Mine has not worked for some time. Today I went and relocked the two back seats, manually put up the three head rests and presto the luggage cover is working again. I'm a happy camper again. I don't know if this was just accidental, or a fix. Try it...

My E280 W211 Estate has been intermittent and I thought I was doing something wrong sometimes. It has stopped working completely now so I figured that it wasn't me and there really is something wrong with it. Seems that this isn't such an unusual problem so I now have an idea of where to look.

Thanks chaps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom