SatNav use abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
Radar detectors in France | AA

Be aware that in France it is now illegal to USE or OWN a satnav with radar speed trap detection capabilities - whether you are using it or not. Just the fact of having one in your car is illegal.
So be aware when driving abroad this summer.

See link above..........................

This is still under consideration in the UK, but for the time being these devices are still within the law. Just.

Last edited:
Havnt read the article but dont most satnav units only have fixed camera locations ? Are these illegal as well because as *** says they all have this facility. Is it not the newer ones which can detect mobile radar cameras.?

Havnt read the article but dont most satnav units only have fixed camera locations ? Are these illegal as well because as *** says they all have this facility. Is it not the newer ones which can detect mobile radar cameras.?

Read the AA link and all will be revealed.
Yes, fixed camera radar speed detectors ARE included.

My COMAND does NOT have speed detection capabilities.

This has already been discussed at some length:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/driv...ance-bans-sat-navs-speed-camera-warnings.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/ot-off-topic-forums/125923-sat-nav-france.html

TomTom Satnavs now automatically switch off speed camera alerts when in France. Old models (like mine) just had the locations removed ... you have to remember to manually switch alerts off (even though there are no locations stored :rolleyes:) as well.

What Sat Nav's DON'T have this ability.

This could be very awkward actually for a lot of people.

My COMAND doesnt have this capability.

This new legislation could very well be the reason why it doesnt.

This has already been discussed at some length:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/driv...ance-bans-sat-navs-speed-camera-warnings.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/ot-off-topic-forums/125923-sat-nav-france.html

TomTom Satnavs now automatically switch off speed camera alerts when in France. Old models (like mine) just had the locations removed ... you have to remember to manually switch alerts off (even though there are no locations stored :rolleyes:) as well.

Sorry for the repeat posts. I claim both ignorance and stupidity in equal measures.

BTW to be accurate, no satnav can detect speed cameras. Actual detectors (RADAR / LASER receivers) have been illegal in France for years.

Any satnav with POI (point of interest) capability can advise the driver they are approaching a specific location. As far as I can see it's how that location is named that's the issue ;)

"Warning: possible nesting site for lesser spotted marsh warbler in 200 metres" should be fine? :D

Sorry for the repeat posts. I claim both ignorance and stupidity in equal measures.

No harm in flagging it again though, with people potentially off to the continent for summer holidays.

Shame, my Tom Tom saved me a camera flash as I was battering along at 140mph and I got the brakes on just in time.....LOL!!!!

I haven't read the link, but how do we stand with phone apps?

It applies to all 'devices', so phones would be covered. Suspect they'd be less likely to check though, unless it's mounted visibly like a Satnav.

Phones are even more problematic. Most countries have penalties for mobile phone use while driving but don't actively target genuine sat nav users. However try telling a traffic cop who sees you fiddling with your iPhone that at the time it wasn't really a phone but a sat nav. Good luck with that one.

Radar detectors are illegal in France afaik sat navs which highlight "accident safety zones" are not. After all that is why the cameras are there isn't it? To prevent accidents. Right.:thumb:

In practice, I do not see the French Police stopping foreign motorists with the SOLE intention of inspecting their sat navs or checking if they have some breathalysers in the car. However, I do see this being taken into account should a motorist be stopped for some OTHER reason such as speeding.
Sadly, there is a simply staggering difference in the rules for and costs of driving in different countries, as can be seen on the aa website which has pages and pages of pdf's for different countries.
In other countries I tend to follow the rules even when the locals are breaking them.

France is not the worst offender by a long chalk in respect of regulations. In my view the worst offender is Germany where the environmental one regulations extend to cars (most other countries restrict these regulations to vehicles >3.5 tonnes. The result being that a diesel engined car first registered outside Germany before 1 January 2006 cannot be driven into a zone without incurring a 40 euro fine. Retrofitting a DPF to an older diesel car costs between 1,000 - 2,000 euros and some Germans have done this. Other have tried to use vehicles with historic status to avoid the regulations but this loophole might have been closed since there was talk of the exemption only applying if annual mileage was less than a very low limit.

France produces WINE and CHEESE and has decent COOKING, all of which are IMHO substantial contributions which offset the negative points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom