Security Bollards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's an Audi RS5 round my way that the owner puts a big chain through the front wheel , and I mean a big chain like an anchor chain , and padlocks it to a ring in the ground !

The steel of the ring must be an inch thick and the chain links must be a good half inch steel.

Just like chaining the front wheel of a bike to something.

Bring a spare wheel, jack car up and away they go.

Reactions: 219
From my experience when we fitted them in our office car park, the type that bolt to the ground, and pivot down to lie on the ground when unlocked are useless. A good sideways kick distorts/bypasses the lock, and the thing falls down.

Also, a colleague misjudged their parking, caught a wheel on the corner of the laid-flat post, and blew the tyre.

I’m not a fan of this type......

my sister had these type fitted at a flat where she used to live to stop parking in her space, they were fitted to all the spaces and folded down i caught the rear bumper of Car i used to own and damaged it, also 1 of my friends has 1 of these on a lane on his property to save folk coming in and stealing stuff (it works as nothing has been stolen since fitting it a few years ago now) i cannot get my rx7 down his lane as it catches the underside of the car quite severely so i have to stop in front of it and walk the rest of the way, its no biggie but its something else to keep in mind with this type

The bollard in Pontoneer’s quoted link is outside a Toyota garage.
;)

Just like chaining the front wheel of a bike to something.

Bring a spare wheel, jack car up and away they go.
Kind of slows them down though, compared to the 30 second opportunist keyless thefts etc.

Not really practical for most people though!

The fold down posts that screw into the ground are not really security posts, they are to stop people from parking in the vacant/reserved spot. When the 'owner' of the parking spot returns he unlocks the post, drops it flat and parks, the pole lays beneath the car having a little sleep until the car is moved.

Hopeless for security.

Many sell gimmicks. Essentially, visual deterrent with low grade materials.

Chains and rings with locks - best to check the biker recommendations. Even sheathed chains will mark alloys over repeated use if ham-fisted.

The best ones are sunk into the ground (telescopic). Remember to install drainage or the could rust over time or even backfill with (rain)water. (Allow £250ish per bollard)

I put ONE OF THESE in a couple or three years back. It was needed at the time as I'd run out of garage space to put the E Class into. :(

It's a good visible deterrent, very strong (yes, it's been reversed into by mistake and damaged a rear bumper) and is very simple to use.

The downside is that the lock does tend to freeze in the cold weather so keep it well lubricated.

ETA gratuitous picture of it deployed from a while ago: -

Bedtime small.jpg

The fold down posts that screw into the ground are not really security posts, they are to stop people from parking in the vacant/reserved spot. When the 'owner' of the parking spot returns he unlocks the post, drops it flat and parks, the pole lays beneath the car having a little sleep until the car is moved.

Hopeless for security.
Does depend on how much room you have - ours at least were fitted so they could be pulled upright and locked behind the car. Had to remember to they were there though! (Only forgot once.....)

This thread resurrection reminds me of my post in 2007 following a French holiday:

1589884378524.jpeg

"A peaceful little square in a little French village. Two cars, a gorgeous Mercedes Coupe, surely one of the very few beautiful cars made by MB…
…and an Audi S8. That’s the £71k jobbie with the V10 Lambo engine, Quattro and dvd screens in the headrests."

So, why else did I take this picture? (I left the answer until the following day, but this time, here it is now!

1589884552477.jpeg
1589884583117.jpeg
The question remains unanswered - how, in God's name, could this happen?

The parking sensor must have been screaming...but too late it seems. The Audi was going a bit quicker than parking speed by the look of it.

Short a$$ed driver cant' see over the steering wheel. How many times do I see this and think to myself 'How the F can that person drive safely ?'

But that is a whole different thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom