Seeing Double

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
This picture has not been altered for the sake of making a good story, my son has just taken it because it is so funny.

These two lamp posts are sited at the beginning of our avenue and there is literally less than 1 metre between the two!!!!

Double%20take1.jpg

John

Is the one a fog light?? Same happened by my mums, two weeks later they took the old one away... why they could'nt do there and then is beyond me

Edit : useless odd fact, the life expectancy for a steet pole is 40 years and the lamp 4 years

Last edited:
SEM said:
Is the one a fog light?? Same happened by my mums, two weeks later they took the old one away... why they could'nt do there and then is beyond me

:D The one nearest the footpath is I believe the newer post and no doubt the old one will 'disappear', but it seems crazy that the old post is simply not removed when installing the new one?? ;)

John

glojo said:
:D The one nearest the footpath is I believe the newer post and no doubt the old one will 'disappear', but it seems crazy that the old post is simply not removed when installing the new one?? ;)

Well, you see, (sucks air through teeth), erections is a different department to dismantlins. If they told the erectors to do dismantlin too, then where would we all be, eh? Well the dismantlers wouldn't be too happy about it, I can tell you for nuffink. How would you like it if you was a dismantler, and when you come to do it, an erector had got there first and dismantled it for yer? Well, you'd want to dimantle his erection, wouldn't yer? And then where would we all be, eh? Anarchy, that's where!

;) PJ

imadoofus said:
Well, you see, (sucks air through teeth), erections is a different department to dismantlins. If they told the erectors to do dismantlin too, then where would we all be, eh? Well the dismantlers wouldn't be too happy about it, I can tell you for nuffink. How would you like it if you was a dismantler, and when you come to do it, an erector had got there first and dismantled it for yer? Well, you'd want to dimantle his erection, wouldn't yer? And then where would we all be, eh? Anarchy, that's where!

;) PJ

LOL! :D

Are BOTH lights actually working ?
Could be that the electrician hasn't moved the wiring over to the new light yet. If erectors aren't dismantlers they certainly won't be electricians. :eek:

Otherwise, maybe the erecting and dismantling has been outsourced to different companies. :crazy:

imadoofus said:

;) PJ

a Ronnie Barkerism if ever I've seen one - respect!! :D

We had a similar situation in our village for a couple of years - new lamposts were put up right next to the originals - then somebody complained and the planning permission was investigated and found to be faulty (only a slight difference).

Therefore the council refused to take down the old lights until the permission was granted (and some residents were complaining about their design so it took ages)

As a result we had about 20 sets of 'paired' street lights for a couple of years :rolleyes:

LMAO at PJ's comments :)

Sorry to be boring but it is because you have one lot of geezers put the pole up / take the pole down and another set of geezers who do the wiring.

The kilt wearing caber carrying erectors roll up and put up the new pole. Then when it's up an electrical type geezer wanders along and does the necessary electrical connections and disconnections. Then several cups of tea later your original (or similar looking) gang rocks up again and takes the old one down.

The blokes who put the poles up aren't electricians and so can't do the wiring. And electricians don't have room in their tool bags for the lamp columns.

See?

Not to mention the hole diggers........ Thgen there will be a delay for the hole filler inners. Then of course there will be countless site meetings to decide if the hole should be square!!!! Or should it be round, oval octaganal... noooooo

:) :) Where would this country be without trade unions and bureaucracy?? :) :) :)

Simon said:
Are there a lot of dogs in the area perhaps? ;)

If there are they'll soon have the post down..seriously. It's the dog pee that causes the serious corrosion.
Maybe the owners should be taxed, something like 50p a pee. ;)

No litter either! any property for sale nearby?

Dieselman said:
John I know it's been commented on before but you live in a nice place...Great views.

Thanks Dieselman,
The day I get used to the views is the day we move back to Linclonshire (just up from Robert.Saunder :) )

Hi SEM,
:) Yup there are a couple of properties :) I'm touching wood as I type, but no litter and no local crime.... still touching wood

I think the base of local lamp posts are treated with some sort of preservative and the local dog wee has no effect, mind you we have no wandering, loose dogs.

John

what NO crime - none.. not even some drunk-on-cider bloke falling over and knoking over a gnome? A bit of fish poaching? A heated discussion on the finer points of cheese making going awry at the local, and someone being slapped?

John - find me a Mill (as in water mill) in your local rag, and I'll buy your baked bean supply for a year (or somthing equivilant)...

Guy (in an odd mood tonight)

guydewdney said:
what NO crime - none.. not even some drunk-on-cider bloke falling over and knoking over a gnome? A bit of fish poaching? A heated discussion on the finer points of cheese making going awry at the local, and someone being slapped?

;) Really boring place to live. Those that attended last years GTG will have seen how tranquil it is here, we do however have that one alleged paedophile (he is waiting to appear before the Crown Court) and thankfully we know where he lives :) please don't think Torquay is crime free!!!! it has all the problems that most towns have, with the added 'extra' of being a popular seaside resort. :eek: :rolleyes: .

Ooops nearly forgot, the local cliffs have a Worldwide reputation for having small seams of white gold and a few years ago some galla's came down with petrol circular saws trying to cut out chunks of rock :)

guydewdney said:
John - find me a Mill (as in water mill) in your local rag, and I'll buy your baked bean supply for a year (or somthing equivilant)...

Guy (in an odd mood tonight)

I have a very good friend who is both the senior partner and surveyor for a local estate agents but I do not believe water mills are common site around here, I guess that you have listings for their locations?

If I can ever be of help then please do not hesitate to ask?

Bye for now,
John

imadoofus said:
A few months ago a new lamp post appeared next to the old lamp post outside my house. Apparently they're getting rid of the sodium ones and replacing with something that actually produces a bit of light :) It is the only one on the whole street that looks like it's going to be replaced!

Last week the old lamp post was removed.

Now at first this may seem great, until you realise that the new lamp post has no lamp on top of it! It's just a big silver pole stuck in the ground next to a new bit of tarmac where the old one was! The house and neighbours are now in total darkness.

Maybe there is a 3rd department in addition to erecters and dismantlers that does the electricals? Either way we're in the dark in Rochdale at the moment!

This has just reminded me, it was only a couple of weeks ago that the second lamp post was finally removed. Perhaps the local authority finally accepted the pair were not campatable and the marriage was never going to be consumated??

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom