Should the Bose stereo sound good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulsML500

I have a C270 with the Bose sound option and I think it the quality is rubbish. I also have an ML500 with standard stereo and it sounds better. I have tried adjusting the settings but it does not change much.

It can certainly get loud, so I dont think anything is broken but the quality is poor.

Does anyone have any ideas on improving it? I can not see (hear) the benifit of the bass box in the boot (the car is an estate).
The head unit is the Comand sat nav.

What can I do?

Can you find someone closeby that has BOSE too, so you can compare? I'm in the Midlands if that's any good for you?

I had Bose in my SLK it was OK but nothing special.

There is a saying:

"No highs, no lows - it has to be Bose"

I'm not saying I agree with it and sound is often a very personal thing, but it should be clear. If it's just the bass that's missing, then it could just be that Bose does not pack enough bass for you.

Do you know if the unit was professionally installed or a DIY job?

It could be that it is working as it should - just not to your taste. But the best thing is to find another unit the same as yours and compare, then you'll know.

the standard system in the W203 is pretty good without the bose option..

However , whatever they did in the facelift made the sound amazing , totally superb without any speakers on the rear shelf to vibrate :)

i ended up padding my whole back shelf in a double layer of dynamat to give it some weight so it wouldnt rattle about like mad when your were kicking the bass out. However in the facelift they went to Harman Kardon..

try and search out a C32 as thats the most likely car to have bose as an option and will prob have comand like your current setup.. Go have a listen to see if yours is screwed

BOSE aint as good as everyone makes it out to be a friend works for sextons and he has taken alot of them out and has hardly ever put one in.

my rear speakers (I have BOSE) did vibrate/rattle a bit when the bass was high .. Steve (the Kent 'mechanic') fixed it by some tape etc .. now it's fine and sounds great.

BOSE makes it presence felt when you have the volume high. I think it's great.

Last edited:
Yeah , we have Bose in the CLK , sounds great ...

Same as everyone else, the rear speakers rattled a bit with the bass up , but soon sorted it out with some tape ....

Ive also got Bose as std in mine but its not what i exoected, dont get me wrong its ok but could be better.

Had bose in a W140, seriously rocked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom